New to SB - any special treats I should look for?

farbster

We are new to Seabourn, having sailed 3x with Silversea. We will be sailing on the Sojourn this summer from Barcelona to Monte Carlo.

Are there any signature dishes that we should look for? Would they make a special dinner party for us? On our last SS cruise, we had a special dinner party for friends we made on the cruise. The dinner party included cocktails and appetizers in the bar plus our own Chinese Dinner (family style of many entrees) in the MDR.

What I'd like to avoid is getting off the ship and then realizing that I could have gotten XY or Z if only I had known to ask...

Thanks for your advice!

First thing as a new customer go to the Referral Coupon Thread- This is the only one! at the top of the Seabourn thread so that you can be referred by someone on that thread and receive $400 to spend on lovely treats whilst on-board :D

Thanks. I've already done that. Within a few minutes of my post I had several offers :)

Just as a note to others, using this promo then excludes you from getting the Amex Platinum promotion also. You can't stack them. I took the 1st time referral.

I was more talking about special treats or things that can be done on the cruise. Any signature dishes that might not be on the menu?

I recommend that you speak to the Maitre'd in the Main Dining Room shortly after you board if you want to arrange for a special dinner party. They will definitely make a reservation for a table to accommodate your group at the time you choose. But they will probably want your group to order off the regular menu, which is what they had us do for my birthday party and for a big party that another couple organized. However they did bring out a lovely birthday cake for me. One can order off menu, and Seabourn veterans write on CC about that experience, and they usually describe traditional cruise ship cuisine such as Steak Diane. However when we tried to order a series of special dishes off-menu, we did not have a good experience.

Have lunch in the dining room and ask the Fry Chef for a platter of his fried onion rings~~best on the high seas! I've been loving each fried morsel for many years and have never been disappointed. (only for lunch)

Happy sailings!

Martita B

Over the years I have ordered special lunches and dinners. Always accommodating with at least a 24 hour notice. On a 21 day cruise I had asked for a special sushi / sashimi lunch. Not only did they provide, they created a special meal every day of the cruise!

If you like an almond croissant for breakfast you can place a special order. They will have one everyday for you or as often as you like. Regular, and I think chocolate, croissants are always available. This was how it was just recently on Odyssey. The almond ones are great!

When we hosted a table the concierge staff in the square printed up special invites for us and had them delivered to the relevant suites.

Pre dinner drinks in the observation lounge with canapés including a couple of caviar plates.

Henry :)

Breadsticks -- available every lunch and dinner. Twice baked goat cheese soufflé -- usually on the menu every 7 days. I always think it is nicer to have a small cocktail party for 8 in my suite and then move to the MDR for a special dinner. And when they go to the trouble to make a special dinner we often show our thanks by ordering a bottle or two from the premium wine list.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife asked why there were no chocolates on board and the executive chef had a platter of various chocolates ( dark, white, with/without nuts, etc.) made and delivered to our suite every night thereafter. We both had a chocolate fix daily!

Don't forget if you order your caviar 24 in advance instead of right at the time you want it, you can ask for blinis which are awfully much nicer than the toast they usually serve it with.

I recommend that you speak to the Maitre'd in the Main Dining Room shortly after you board if you want to arrange for a special dinner party. They will definitely make a reservation for a table to accommodate your group at the time you choose. But they will probably want your group to order off the regular menu, which is what they had us do for my birthday party and for a big party that another couple organized. However they did bring out a lovely birthday cake for me. One can order off menu, and Seabourn veterans write on CC about that experience, and they usually describe traditional cruise ship cuisine such as Steak Diane. However when we tried to order a series of special dishes off-menu, we did not have a good experience.

I wonder who your chef or maitre d' were. I've never had a problem going off menu and one chef kept trying to get me to go off menu more often (Jes).

I wonder who your chef or maitre d' were. I've never had a problem going off menu and one chef kept trying to get me to go off menu more often (Jes).

This is actually almost ancient history now, 2 years ago, so I should probably stop writing about it. But since you asked: The Maitre 'd was Nicholas Botha.

I don't remember the Head Chef's name. I don't think it was Jess. I do remember, though, that his origin was Scotland.

When you come in from the pool before dressing for dinner, it's easy to call and order caviar and canapés. Your steward can always freshen your Champagne bottle if you need it. Also, if you need fresh limes or other garnish for cocktails in room, they'll bring them and replenish every day, as well as stock ice in the bar.

Various treats will be left for you in the evening like tote bags, playing cards, and such, and you'll find fresh fruit in your room each day. Otherwise, you only have to pick up the phone to a concierge and they will take care of what you need.

Also, your room comes stocked with personalized stationary which is nice for sending notes to other guests, thank yous, or invites to dinner.

One of the things I enjoyed during our Baltic Cruise was "shopping with the chef."

One day (while we were in Talin) those interested boarded a bus with the chef and a couple of his aides. We went to a produce market, fish store and cheese store. He purchased large quatities of supplies to take back to the ship. And we got to taste some of the cheeses. He was very personable and engaged us during the entire shopping trip.

I do not know if this is available on all itineraries, but I know I will look for it on our upcoming trip up the St Lawrence in September

One of the things I enjoyed during our Baltic Cruise was "shopping with the chef."

I do not know if this is available on all itineraries, but I know I will look for it on our upcoming trip up the St Lawrence in September

It was available in Quebec last Sept. We did not do it as we did not know about it so check its availability as soon as you get on.

Should you decide to host a party in your suite, the staff at the Square are very helpful in sending out wonderful printed invitations and arranging for you to meet with the food and beverage staff to arrange your menu and beverage assortment. A few minutes before the designated time they have come to set everything up for us and then left at least one, sometimes two staff members to serve. It makes having a cocktail party a very easy and fun thingto do.

One day (while we were in Talin) those interested boarded a bus with the chef and a couple of his aides. We went to a produce market, fish store and cheese store. He purchased large quatities of supplies to take back to the ship. And we got to taste some of the cheeses. He was very personable and engaged us during the entire shopping trip.

On my last cruise out of the three times it was being offered, they announced it 0. You need to go to Seabourn square and ask them to sign you up when you board. If they don't know anything, follow up with the chef, then get reservations made in the square.

Even when you follow up it does not always happen. We were told to be at the MDR at 9am.Waited and waited ,finally someone from the restaurant came to us and asked what we were waiting for. We said shopping with the Chef. She said they left at 8am.We had confirmed the night before at dinner. He had it wrong.