Booked - Uniworld Burcharest to Budapest - September 2017

Roz

After a wonderful first river cruise experience on Uniworld's River Beatrice last year, I decided to explore the eastern side of the Danube from Bucharest to Budapest. This time I'm on the River Duchess, and I even convinced a friend to go with me, albeit in a separate cabin. The cruise isn't until September of 2017 - not sure I can contain myself that long :D. The countries I'll be visiting will be Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Croatia, and Hungary.

Roz

We did this trip in 2004 on the River Countess. So glad we started in Bucharest, so we were able to see the countries coming out of Communism into Capitalism. We then continued on to Amsterdam--a lot closer to home than ending in Bucharest. Enjoy. Pat

Hi Roz:)....congrats on your new booking. Sounds pretty awesome:D

I thought I had some time to wait...(1 year) but you have way longer

to wait:eek:

I'll definitely be scheduling an ocean cruise or two to tide me over. :D

At the end of this month I'm cruising again to Alaska, this time with my sister and two of her friends. I may book a 3-6 day coastal cruise next spring to fill in the gap.

Roz

I'll definitely be scheduling an ocean cruise or two to tide me over. :D

At the end of this month I'm cruising again to Alaska, this time with my sister and two of her friends. I may book a 3-6 day coastal cruise next spring to fill in the gap.

Roz

Sounds fun:).

I am in the middle of trying to figure out something to do this fall and it

is not a cruise:eek:....how odd is that? I am researching a trip to Napa

Valley for about 4 nights.:)

Napa and Sonoma, both great places, especially if you like wine. :D Not to mention the food.

Every time I price land vacations I'm floored by the cost. Cruising is such a great value. I can go on a week long ocean cruise for less than a long weekend in Chicago.

Roz

Napa and Sonoma, both great places, especially if you like wine. :D Not to mention the food.

Every time I price land vacations I'm floored by the cost. Cruising is such a great value. I can go on a week long ocean cruise for less than a long weekend in Chicago.

Roz

I guess it depends on how long you looking for and where you want to go.

I agree with how great the value of a cruise is though:).......I was looking

at a cruise but to be honest, I only have a 3 month span to look at...Aug,

Sept and Oct.....I don't really want to do the Caribbean and the other

itineraries I have looked at are more than I want to spend:rolleyes:

Before I book the Napa Trip I will look at cruises again though....maybe

I can find something "new".

We did this trip in 2004 on the River Countess. So glad we started in Bucharest, so we were able to see the countries coming out of Communism into Capitalism. We then continued on to Amsterdam--a lot closer to home than ending in Bucharest. Enjoy. Pat

Do not mean to 'hijack' this thread

First off - Roz,,,, your trip sounds great, we are getting ready to book similar cruise

to Pacmom - we are looking at your same trip (23 days) but on Viking,,,, Love Uniworld but they do not offer this trip We have had two Uniworld cruises and loved them both

I am about ready to book the 23 day trip but started reading about a few River Level issues in 14 and 15 with part of the trip the river was TOO LOW and caused issued???? really do not want to spend upward of 20K (all in ) and find out we have to leave one boat and get on another because of LOW water?? how common is this

any ideas?

One of the things that's interesting about this itinerary is that in 2016 it includes Istanbul, but in 2017 it's offered as Budapest to Bucharest and Bucharest to Budapest - no Istanbul. At some point I want to visit Istanbul, but if it had been included, it would have made the trip over two weeks long with the flights over and back. That's more time than I can comfortably spend out of the office, plus the flights from Istanbul to Nashville are crazy :eek:. Two days in airports - no thanks. Then when things really started to heat up security wise with Turkey, I figured it was just as well that I chose the shortened itinerary.

Good to hear from those of you who have already done this itinerary or a similar one.

Roz

Roz - I know you were thinking you would have to wait until this fall for the announcement of waived/reduced single supplements. I hope your booking now means you were able to get a good price!

Yes, you have a good memory. I attended a Uniworld cruise night co-sponsored by my TA's agency, and my TA worked with the cruise rep to get me a good deal.

Roz

Roz

Funny you should say that...DH and I went on Celebrity Exotic southern Caribbean in March and were amazed at how many people were on this same ship and cruise for the 6, 7 10th time. Why would you repeat the same cruise over and over? Then it hit me....we usually stayed in a Condo for 2 weeks in Feb. near Treasure Island, FL....we can cruise for the same period of time for 1/2 the price, plus all of our meals and entertainment is included!! AND I don't have to make the beds, do the laundry or clean up anything. So we're going on the same cruise next year in Feb.

Kitty,

I was looking at the price of train trips thru the Canadian Rockies - yikes :eek: - they're as much or more as the 10-day Danube cruise I just booked.

So far I haven't repeated an itinerary on any of my ocean cruises, but I wouldn't be adverse to doing that. I guess it comes down to why you cruise. If I were just wanting to get away and the price was right, I wouldn't mind a repeat itinerary.

Roz

Funny you should say that...DH and I went on Celebrity Exotic southern Caribbean in March and were amazed at how many people were on this same ship and cruise for the 6, 7 10th time. Why would you repeat the same cruise over and over? Then it hit me....we usually stayed in a Condo for 2 weeks in Feb. near Treasure Island, FL....we can cruise for the same period of time for 1/2 the price, plus all of our meals and entertainment is included!! AND I don't have to make the beds, do the laundry or clean up anything. So we're going on the same cruise next year in Feb.

I did that same cruise and had the same experience. People love Eclipse, that itinerary is almost guaranteed to be warm and sunny every day, most of the ports have nice beaches that you can get to very cheaply, and the ship itself is already a nice destination. That explained why so many people in our Roll Call were annual repeaters (or doing a b2b to make it a month!).

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

I did that same cruise and had the same experience. People love Eclipse, that itinerary is almost guaranteed to be warm and sunny every day, most of the ports have nice beaches that you can get to very cheaply, and the ship itself is already a nice destination. That explained why so many people in our Roll Call were annual repeaters (or doing a b2b to make it a month!).

I would do b2b in a heartbeat but DH won't be away from home that long. It's the only way we really aren't on the same page and I blame it on being a Navy brat....any where he is is home for me, while he really needs the house and yard.

I would do b2b in a heartbeat but DH won't be away from home that long. It's the only way we really aren't on the same page and I blame it on being a Navy brat....any where he is is home for me, while he really needs the house and yard.

Got it. DW -- not a Navy brat -- never wanted to travel more than 2 weeks. I think part of it was being available for elderly parents. Now that they have all passed I have gotten her up to 3 weeks on most trips, and our winter snowbird has gone from 5 weeks to 9 next year.