Taking own alcohol to the deck

Daveth10

Hello everyone, on Queen Victoria for first time on 29 October 2016 for 17 nights. My question is are you able to take your own bottle of wine or champagne to the deck for sailaway parties and the like and if so will I be charged corkage, many thanks

Yes we have done this along with the canapés that we have sometimes pre ordered too. (Not sure if you can still order them - haven't checked for a while.) We use the glasses provided in the cabin (always making sure that we bring them back of course.) No one has ever said anything and the atmosphere is always very genial. Saying that, we have always tried to be discreet and not too obvious.

I completely understand that if we were to take champagne to the bars/restaurant then corkage woukd be charged and that is acceptable of course.

Hope you get good weather for your sail away - it does make a difference !

Hello everyone, on Queen Victoria for first time on 29 October 2016 for 17 nights. My question is are you able to take your own bottle of wine or champagne to the deck for sailaway parties and the like and if so will I be charged corkage, many thanks

Do join us on our roll call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?p=51168545#post51168545

Welcome, I hope you will enjoy the cruise.

Probably you would be able to do so without paying the corkage fee, yet it is not, let's say, in the spirit.

Cunard is more generous than other cruiselines in allowing you to bring alcohol almost unlimited for your INCABIN consumption. If one moves to public spaces, one buys drinks or pays corkage.

Welcome, I hope you will enjoy the cruise.

Probably you would be able to do so without paying the corkage fee, yet it is not, let's say, in the spirit.

Cunard is more generous than other cruiselines in allowing you to bring alcohol almost unlimited for your INCABIN consumption. If one moves to public spaces, one buys drinks or pays corkage.

I totally agree about keeping your own drinks in your cabin unless you pay corkage. Let's not take advantage of Cunard's generosity re taking alcohol on board. Personally I think it would look rather stingy creeping out on deck with a bottle! Everyone to their own.

Sorry if having a glass of home brought champers appears "stingy"and "creeping" both adjectives which I consider to be offensive. I am no way advocating at all a mass boycott of Cunard booze (as our bar bills testify) but simply if we want to take a glass of fizz up on deck for the sail away (and to share with others) then so be it.

I've traveled with friends who had no qualms about pouring a glass of red wine in their room and carrying it into the dining room (even going so far as to locate larger red wine glasses onboard for the purpose). You are permitted to order a drink in a bar and carry it to dinner but I think carrying in self-served crosses the line.

I've traveled with friends who had no qualms about pouring a glass of red wine in their room and carrying it into the dining room (even going so far as to locate larger red wine glasses onboard for the purpose). You are permitted to order a drink in a bar and carry it to dinner but I think carrying in self-served crosses the line.

You will always find that someone will spoil it for others. The perk of being able to carry on what you want will probably be stopped by Cunard for that reason.

There is always someone at a party who brinks a bottle of rubbish, let drinks the best available.

Edited by Pennbank

I don't think taking your own beverage on deck and enjoying yourselves is inappropriate at all. I have had a drink at dinner, not finished a glass of wine and the sommelier told me to take it with me (I was going to the show) and enjoy it.

Also, I am envious of you being on QV for 17 days.

When I am able to travel again (due to family obligations) I am going to cruise till I can't cruise no more. Have a great time. :)

I totally agree about keeping your own drinks in your cabin unless you pay corkage. Let's not take advantage of Cunard's generosity re taking alcohol on board. Personally I think it would look rather stingy creeping out on deck with a bottle! Everyone to their own.

Yes, I agree. I've been to several restaurant venues on land and on boats that state BYOB - indicating it is acceptable to bring your own bottle. Reason being those struggling establishments did not have a liquor license (popular in some happening neighborhoods in the NY area). Not the case with QM2.

But I also agree with you LadyL1 on this point: everyone to their own. :)Cheers, -S.

We love a cruise line that lets us take our own alcohol onboard for consumption in our room. I would probably have no problem taking a glass up to sail away or, if in a group, a bottle of bubbly. I had to have a laugh at the guests who pour their wine in a large glass and take it to dinner!! I don't think I'll try that :)

I don't think taking your own beverage on deck and enjoying yourselves is inappropriate at all. I have had a drink at dinner, not finished a glass of wine and the sommelier told me to take it with me (I was going to the show) and enjoy it.

Also, I am envious of you being on QV for 17 days.

When I am able to travel again (due to family obligations) I am going to cruise till I can't cruise no more. Have a great time. :)

There's a bit of difference taking away an unfinished glass of wine that you've just paid for, having supported Cunard's Bar revenue ;) I could even turn a blind eye to some folks enjoying their BYO out on the open deck on embarkation sail away. But to nip back and forth to ones cabin to top up a glass or two and then lounge around enjoying all amenities in the public venues, Noooooo :eek:

Sorry if having a glass of home brought champers appears "stingy"and "creeping" both adjectives which I consider to be offensive. I am no way advocating at all a mass boycott of Cunard booze (as our bar bills testify) but simply if we want to take a glass of fizz up on deck for the sail away (and to share with others) then so be it.

Yes, but if everyone did it that would be a mass boycott and Cunard would waste their time putting on a bar. As always it's just because everyone doesn't do it that the few are able to.

David.

There's a bit of difference taking away an unfinished glass of wine that you've just paid for, having supported Cunard's Bar revenue ;) I could even turn a blind eye to some folks enjoying their BYO out on the open deck on embarkation sail away. But to nip back and forth to ones cabin to top up a glass or two and then lounge around enjoying all amenities in the public venues, Noooooo :eek:

I agree with your point. I don't think I would go to my cabin and top off a glass and then bring it to a show. You know sometimes the dinner comes a bit slow or you start a bit late and you get your mid dinner drink and then discover time is nearly up and you have to get going on the eating so you don't drink too much of your wine and then you have to dash to the show. It just seems a waste to leave a perfectly good glass of wine and go to the show.

If the cruise lines, including Cunard reduced the cost of their way overpriced drinks, than pax would not be tempted to sneak on their booze and consume it around the ship.

Lower prices, then they would sell more, commonsense. But the Carnival Corp bean counters think otherwise, sales targets to achieve.

US$40 for a bottle of plonk one could buy in a Sydney supermarket for AU$10 (US$7.50) is highway robbery. Or is it Ocean robbery? lol.

Agree, tight wads. You pay thousands for a cruise/air fares, then become a scrooge on board. That is why you get OBC, to spend on brown lemonades and the like !! lol.

Again if the cruise lines lowered grog prices, people would buy more.

I can see one day, Cunard/P&O UK enforcing the 1 byo bottle limit, like Princess does.

Edited by NSWP

I'm guessing that if you don't stroll around with a 6 pack of Red Stripe or a cheap 2 litre bottle of supermarket cider in each hand no-one will bother you.

Ignore the naysayers who accuse you of being a tightwad. Some people just don't realise that you can't get Chateau Latour 2009 or Krug Clos de Mesnil 2000 by the glass on board and you prefer to crack a bottle of your own for the sailaway.

Don't take a bottle of that Prossecco in the gold bottle with the stick on fake diamonds though. It's just wrong.

I'm guessing that if you don't stroll around with a 6 pack of Red Stripe or a cheap 2 litre bottle of supermarket cider in each hand no-one will bother you.

Ignore the naysayers who accuse you of being a tightwad. Some people just don't realise that you can't get Chateau Latour 2009 or Krug Clos de Mesnil 2000 by the glass on board and you prefer to crack a bottle of your own for the sailaway.

Don't take a bottle of that Prossecco in the gold bottle with the stick on fake diamonds though. It's just wrong.

And don't waltz around the open decks with the complimentary bottle of Pol Acker, otherwise you'll stand out as a newbie. :D Seasoned Cunarders save it for unblocking the toilet. ;)

Having now read through the full thread I'm surprised that one particular observation hasn't been broached.

However, before I touch on that point I would just say that I find it all rather sad that, having paid whatever fare one has, to sail on one of Cunard's great ships it would be considered acceptable to cheat the system in order to effectively save a couple of dollars while experiencing one of the better 'cruise' sailaways.

It's not as if there is a poor service...

30085823745_bfa9d810f8_z.jpg

...there are plenty of staff and of course one doesn't have to go the 'full monty' either...

30085824215_f169d4fc06_z.jpg

The issue I mentioned earlier is of course one of general safety. Those of us that do partake and purchase our bubbly in the time honoured manner will recall that the glasses provided with your bubbles are special shatter proof ones. This is, after all, an open deck where passengers do access the swimming pools and jacuzzis: hence the necessity for the types of glasses that are available.

Glasses brought from staterooms are of course glass and accidents do happen.

Indeed, such a flagrant non observation of this basic safety requirement would be an irresponsible breach of the rules that could possibly put fellow passengers at risk.

If the cruise lines, including Cunard reduced the cost of their way overpriced drinks, than pax would not be tempted to sneak on their booze and consume it around the ship.

Lower prices, then they would sell more, commonsense. But the Carnival Corp bean counters think otherwise, sales targets to achieve.

US$40 for a bottle of plonk one could buy in a Sydney supermarket for AU$10 (US$7.50) is highway robbery. Or is it Ocean robbery? lol.

Dear Les.

And which Sydney supermarket would you suggest we would find the ambiance, surroundings,style and class that one experiences with Cunard?

Dear Les.

And which Sydney supermarket would you suggest we would find the ambiance, surroundings,style and class that one experiences with Cunard?

Solent Richard, I might have to wave the white flag here and surrender. We certainly don't have the likes of your Fortnum and Mason or even your Sainsburys, we just have...Woolworths, Coles and Aldi, not much class there, we need that real classy supermarket...Lidl, some top quality vino in there, nothing over 2 quid.

BTW, did you know some uncouth, classless Orstralians actually put ice cubes in their wine? Whether it be Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Shiraz or even mere Merlot?

Sir Richard...May your next Cunard Voyage be joyful and filled with quality wine.

Edited by NSWP

Solent Richard, I might have to wave the white flag here and surrender. We certainly don't have the likes of your Fortnum and Mason or even your Sainsburys, we just have...Woolworths, Coles and Aldi, not much class there, we need that real classy supermarket...Lidl, some top quality vino in there, nothing over 2 quid.

BTW, did you know some uncouth, classless Orstralians actually put ice cubes in their wine? Whether it be Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Shiraz or even mere Merlot?

Sir Richard...May your next Cunard Voyage be joyful and filled with quality wine.

Good morning Uncle Les and thank you for your kind comments.

I'm certainly looking forward to my next voyage which is safely booked and will toast your health with some fine Yering Station Village Shiraz from the pre-purchased Commodore's package.

I'll keep these pages posted.