Riviera Wi Fi

RJB

Having got off Riviera two weeks ago, I can tell you doing something complicated on the Internet was impossible. Getting email or what's app text messages was too much for their internet service. Logging on most of the time was impossible since it was just "down"!!! It had nothing to do with streaming or heavy downloads, it just was not working at all no matter what time of the day or night. The butler called a few times, to get us help, He was told it just was not working right now.

Having got off Riviera two weeks ago, I can tell you doing something complicated on the Internet was impossible. Getting email or what's app text messages was too much for their internet service. Logging on most of the time was impossible since it was just "down"!!! It had nothing to do with streaming or heavy downloads, it just was not working at all no matter what time of the day or night. The butler called a few times, to get us help, He was told it just was not working right now.

Sounds like they are not giving us what they promised. Instead we are getting unlimited nothing. Does nor help their reputation again.

Sounds like they are not giving us what they promised. Instead we are getting unlimited nothing. Does nor help their reputation again.

Not exactly the case for me.

Just off the Marina and currently on the Nautica. On both ships I've had no problem - as in NONE - accessing my e mail, checking sports results, reading my local newspaper, doing some simple banking and obviously following and posting on CC. I have not tried tasks that require much speed like downloading pictures, etc.

Thus - one should have no trouble doing simple things online, which is all that most of us should be doing while on a cruise. The rest can be done when we get home.

This has been MY experience on these 2 ships - YMMV.

Edited by Paulchili

Not exactly the case for me.

Just off the Marina and currently on the Nautica. On both ships I've had no problem - as in NONE - accessing my e mail, checking sports results, reading my local newspaper, doing some simple banking and obviously following and posting on CC. I have not tried tasks that require much speed like downloading pictures, etc.

Thus - one should have no trouble doing simple things online, which is all that most of us should be doing while on a cruise. The rest can be done when we get home.

This has been MY experience on these 2 ships - YMMV.

So why is there a problem on Riviera? Makes no sense. Hope you are correct and we will be O.K. in a few weeks.

Back to the internet issue, at least here it seems that the complaints about service are solely about Riviera (unless I missed something which is always possible). Does anyone know if the problems are fleetwide or not? I would think all of the ships would be having the same problems ...

We were on the Nautica (late April/early May) and while we had some hiccups, overall we were satisfied with the internet. There was one day that pictures were not loading to facebook and I had to start over (I had set up three different sets so it was an annoyance).

We did have a day where the connection glitched as Mom was logging off, so I had to get the tech to manually log our room out so that I could log in - but that was just once.

I avoided early evening and immediately after return to the ship as I figure that was a higher load time. I did find that I could not get a connection from the outdoor seating at Terrace Cafe.

Hope this helps. K

So why is there a problem on Riviera? Makes no sense. Hope you are correct and we will be O.K. in a few weeks.

Riviera has about 50% more passengers than Nautica. Assuming the same proportion of internet users versus total passengers, the internet bandwidth would be slower as there are 50% more connections sharing. Not sure this explains the Marina internet, however.

Edited by vicd1969

The "free" internet is causing a bandwidth issue. This was our 5th cruise with Oceania and the first time I couldn't connect VPN to the office.

Getting emails on my phone with wifi wasn't a problem but very slow.

For what it's worth, our Butler said they had IT person on board to fix the internet a few weeks ago. However he said it only got worse....

Riviera has about 50% more passengers than Nautica. Assuming the same proportion of internet users versus total passengers, the internet bandwidth would be slower as there are 50% more connections sharing. Not sure this explains the Marina internet, however.

That would make sense if the cruise line only bought the same amount of bandwidth for all ships. Sure the monstrosity ship have more bandwidth than a smaller ship so bandwidth should be in the same proportion to the number of people on board.

If not, IMHO the cruise line is doing a disservice to their customers.

No wonder it's slow....people are downloading newspapers?! All uploading and downloading of photos and such times 1200.....it would be slow anywhere!

Edited by JVNYC

I'm on the Riviera now and the speed and ability to connect seems to be influenced by the ship's location. Yesterday in La Seyne sur Mer (because of sea conditions the ship could not go to Bandol because tendering would be a problem) the connection was S-L-O-W. Today in Ajaccio, Corsica the connection and speed is much better, but slower than a high speed connection at home. However, I have not had problems reading or sending email. Today I used Facebook with no problems. I would imagine that trying to stream anything would be frustrating.

I boarded in Monte Carlo on Sunday - the weather has been warm (around 80), sunny and windy at times. I'm having a great time - service is wonderful as is the food. For those obsessed with noro, there are no signs that anything is amiss this cruise. I'm looking forward to Palma de Mallorca and Ibiza later this week. If time permits, I'll try to post again later in the cruise to update with my experience with computer connectivity. Cheers!

• 1 month later...

We just returned from Oceania Riviera. Loved everything, but the wifi was the one dark cloud. We had two "free"unlimited packages (two staterooms) and purchased another, because we have teens and wanted to be able to text on board and locate each other. Wifi was out about half the time. When it did work, login is onerous and the connection is very slow, with multiple interruptions. Really a rip-off, and a waste of time. I can't believe they're charging for this, particularly since it doesn't work about half the time. Awful.

We just returned from Oceania Riviera. Loved everything, but the wifi was the one dark cloud. We had two "free"unlimited packages (two staterooms) and purchased another, because we have teens and wanted to be able to text on board and locate each other. Wifi was out about half the time. When it did work, login is onerous and the connection is very slow, with multiple interruptions. Really a rip-off, and a waste of time. I can't believe they're charging for this, particularly since it doesn't work about half the time. Awful.

Got off last week in Rome and had the free wifi for 17 days and it was pretty good. Was able to get on most of the time. Slow at times but not too bad. No worse than other Oceania cruises so was O.K. for us.

What other ships have you been on that had good internet? Are you comparing this to your home service?

What other ships have you been on that had good internet? Are you comparing this to your home service?

Not good, but pretty good for a ship. Can not compare the wi fi to home but O.K. Did not expect it to be great but we did all we needed to do. We were off the ship most of the time anyway so who needed to be in front of a computer all the time.

I commented about the Riviera wifi earlier in this thread... It was horrible service!! I have cruised 6 times in a year. 4 different cruise lines. Riviera was by far the worst. Not usable most of the time just to check email. The other lines might have been a little slow at times but always usable!

I cruise often and I was shocked and disappointed in Oceania. I am surprised this is not being addressed and fixed. The service on Marina 5 years ago was much better than the service 2 months ago on Riviera.

I don't understand the excuses being made for the internet on the Riviera. It is a broken system and needs to be fixed on the Riviera. The title of this thread is Riviera wifi! Who cares if other ships on Oceania have working wifi. The point is Oceania is not fixing the problem on the Riviera!

The Riviera just upgraded their internet on Monday. I do not know how well it is since that is when we disembarked. The internet during our sailing was fine. It was a bit slow in the evenings when everyone checked their emails after the show. Otherwise during the day I had no problem using it!

We just got off a five day cruise on a Royal Caribbean ship where they had "Zoom" wi fi, and while it may not have been "zoom" it certainly seemed like it, having been tortured by the Riviera wi fi in June. We were able to connect each time we tried, first try, it kept us on, it was reasonably fast, we were able to send and receive messages, texts, post to FB, etc.

We were on one of the smaller ships, about 2500 pax, and all I kept thinking was, why doesn't Oceania get this?

We just returned from the Gondolas to Gaudi cruise on Riviera and the Internet was awful! As Animalgirl stated, they were upgrading as our cruise ended. After many discussions with the crew, we figured out that there were places on the ship where the Internet was significantly better than in the state rooms. Finally, we decided to enjoy the happy hour at Horizons each afternoon and download our newspapers, emails, etc., then just read them when we wanted to. The cruise was so absolutely wonderful that this seemed a small inconvenience.

Currently on Riviera and wifi terribly slow. Some sites just do not load at all, others which do are really slow. I log on to the ship's wifi on my iPad and my husband (who is less patient) logs on to any in port wifi on his phone and he is always much more successful in down loading any websites or emails than I am. I am told the wifi here will be upgraded at end June, not before.

You said they told you that the wifi would be upgraded at the end of June. Today is August 21st, and you still say the wifi is terribly slow.

Does it mean that their "promise" that it would be upgraded at the end of June is not true?

Oh dear, I think I might not take my laptop on board on my next cruise on the Riviera (in just over a week). I might just have to smuggle a homing pigeon on board - if I wish to send any messages home, I might just have to send it via the pigeon! (Just kidding of course!!!!)

I suppose no one cruise ship, or cruise company, for that matter is perfect. As long as the meals on Oceania ships remain as high standards, I think we can cope with some poor wifi connections! Maybe it might "cure" me of spending too much time on the internet while at home anyway!!!

Edited by Cahpek