Name change? Add another traveler?

PSULion

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has the current information on changing the name of a passenger?

In the alternative, a travel agent that is new to me suggested booking a room, paying the 200% fare as a single, then adding a person later, and they said their would be no or minimal charge.

I'll try to confirm with Oceania in the AM, but I think I trust the information here more than from Oceania directly. :)

Thanks, John

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has the current information on changing the name of a passenger?

In the alternative, a travel agent that is new to me suggested booking a room, paying the 200% fare as a single, then adding a person later, and they said their would be no or minimal charge.

I'll try to confirm with Oceania in the AM, but I think I trust the information here more than from Oceania directly. :)

Thanks, John

For a number of reasons, it's almost always MUCH easier to cancel an existing reservation and re-book than it is to change a name on an existing reservation. It is even tough to do when the party in question is deceased.

More pertinent to your question, when one is able to get a change accomplished, it very often changes the parameters of the original contract, making the entire process an exercise in futility.

If you tell us what advantage you are trying to preserve by booking and then changing, we might be able to help you go about it, or at least tell you if this avenue is worth pursuing.

For a number of reasons, it's almost always MUCH easier to cancel an existing reservation and re-book than it is to change a name on an existing reservation. It is even tough to do when the party in question is deceased.

More pertinent to your question, when one is able to get a change accomplished, it very often changes the parameters of the original contract, making the entire process an exercise in futility.

If you tell us what advantage you are trying to preserve by booking and then changing, we might be able to help you go about it, or at least tell you if this avenue is worth pursuing.

I wanted to book a fare on offer by June 30, but I am not sure the passenger that I will be traveling with will be able to go, for reasons that would not be covered by insurance.

Thanks, John

I wanted to book a fare on offer by June 30, but I am not sure the passenger that I will be traveling with will be able to go, for reasons that would not be covered by insurance.

Thanks, John

That's is what I thought you were going to say..

Oceania doesn't allow that kind of thing.

Well, they do, but when you make that kind of a change to your reservation, the pricing reverts to whatever is on offer THEN, and it happens both ways (i.e. when adding a name or deleting a name).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings....

I have been told that if the change of passenger takes place after final payment you can't do it period. It may be that a well known TA (that is, well known to Oceania) could make it happen.

I have been told that if the change of passenger takes place after final payment you can't do it period. It may be that a well known TA (that is, well known to Oceania) could make it happen.

He or she can lol

I'm sure you realized I was supporting your statement, NOT contesting it!

My history is that when I once asked if it would be possible, we were past final payment and the answer was no. Turned out not to need it anyway. Later on I asked my TA in a similar situation and definitely had the feeling it could work. Again, I didn't need it.

So we haven't tried yet but I'm glad to know that our TA could make it happen if it were necessary!

Mura

This is what frustrates me at times with cruise lines. They have "rules" in place, but if you have a high performing TA, an Owner's Suite, or if you know "someone" then the rules don't apply. It seems to be pervasive in the industry. I fully understand taking care of your high volume sales agents and VIP/preferred customers, but it creates some ill will for people that for whatever reason don't know if an agent is an O high performer (I have never asked!) or can't afford an Owner's Suite.

I do appreciate the information and it was very helpful.

John

Edited by PSULion

I'm not sure where on the scale my parents' TA ranks in terms of Oceania. My parents sailed 7 times prior to Dad's death in 2015. They had three cruises booked at that time. Mom was able to change the first reservation to her cousin. I sailed on the second reservation last month.

My name has replaced Dad's name on the September sailing, though we are not sure at this time if I'll end up being a no-show (work obligations and my son's birthday falls during that trip) or if Mom can find someone to replace me or if I decide to run away to Spain and take the cruise with her... I spoke to the Oceania Ambassador while I was on the Nautica about the options and was told that since Mom doesn't use the Oceania Air, it is actually pretty simple to change the name on the reservation for the second person in the room. What cannot happen would be for Mom to change her reservation to my husband's name as at least one of the originally ticketed passengers has to be in the room.

Your mileage may vary. Definitely talk to someone knowledgeable at Oceania.

A little off topic but another thing to consider is the airline a person is booked on. We recently booked our own flights on Lufthansa. Yesterday I happened to read the information on the e-ticket and it indicated that there are no name changes allowed. This may or may not be an issue for the OP.

Hi all,

Thanks, John

Can't speak as the whether or not you can change a name on a cruise only booking. But, you and others need to be aware that if your cruise includes air you cannot on any airline change a name so if you are booking a cruise including air, it is more than likely that there will be no name changes for you for the entire trip.

If you read CorgiNole's post, the cruise consultant echoed what I am saying as he told her without included air it is easy to change the name for the cruise. He didn't need to know the airline as that is the policy of all airlines.

This is also important to people booking cruise only and purchasing their own air as even if the cruise line is willing to change the name on the cruies, you will most likely lose the value of your air ticket and the replacement person will need to purchase their own airline ticket.

This is simply another example as to why, even if you can purchase air at a lesser cost than the cruise line, it is almost a certainty that you are purchasing a non-refundable ticket while the cruise line will only charge you a portion of your air ticket should you need to cancel. Air is not as simple as purchasing an airline ticket on your own and price isn't the only thing you need to consider.

Good luck,