Take food off ship?

kdg83

Like you I tailor the food I take off the ship depending on the area we go to. In the Caribbean there's no check for any of the islands- ever. People report that they check but in all our travels I have never seen it myself. We also eat everything we take off the ship.

So what if you eat everything you take off the ship.

Sheesh, I eat every bit of food I steal.

Kdg83, how exciting to be taking your first cruise. It's like a whole other world and I felt like a princess. Needless to say we are totally addicted.

Every cruise there is a sign at the gangway saying you are not allowed to take food off the ship. Now, having said that, I've never seen anyone checked. We often take off food, especially if we know getting a meal will be a problem. Yes, I know I'm breaking the rules but sometimes I just take a risk. I am carefull with the food though and either eat it or carry it back to the ship. I never even leave it in the garbage.

It is well known that New Zealand uses dogs, so no food there. I also learned not to try to take my latte off in Canada (well, at least not anywhere they can see it :cool: )

Like you I tailor the food I take off the ship depending on the area we go to. In the Caribbean there's no check for any of the islands- ever. People report that they check but in all our travels I have never seen it myself. We also eat everything we take off the ship.

If you ever come to California, please do not bring in food into the port or over the border. Most of us who live here hate it whenever there's spraing for medflies.

You've got that right. That'll be the day when I trust some local vendor or restaurant in the Caribbean to follow the same sanitary standards as the ship does. Just a simple snack could put you out of action for a few days of your cruise.

It's just not worth the risk.

And just a simple snack taken off a ship could destroy an entire country's economy.

But hey it's not your country so why would you care.

On my trial one-day cruise (RT SD to Ensenada)' date=' my then bf (now hubby) packed a lunchbox of sandwiches and fruit for us. It was a cheapie (probably out of business) cruise ship that he had taken before so he knew they didn't have much of a lunch on board (they did push the booze like crazy:rolleyes:) and he knew my stomach didn't take well to the spices used in Mexican food. but when we disembarked, he forgot to check his lunch box which still had a piece of fruit. Of course, he got caught but the officer realized he was sincere about it and not trying to smuggle in fruit. It got tossed (California is understandably very strict).

We have seen people's bags get checked getting off the ship in various ports (I certainly didn't keep track of which ones since we didn't pack ship's food).[/color']

Since you don't have a medical issue, then you certainly wouldn't understand. In the case of diabetes and some other disorders, you can't just eat everything. Some people have severe allergies to various foods so bringing a granola bar that was made in a nut-free factory or faux dairy cheese (factory sealed, of course) may be necessary.

and with small kids, it's not a matter of kowtowing to them, but knowing that if they have at least a little food in their tummies, they won't be as grumpy. Both my daughter and hubby need to have access to food -- it's their metabolism. We do often eat lunch at a local place if sightseeing on our own or return to the ship for lunch.

If you read my post, you would read that I do not have a problem with food, pertaining to medical issues. Its "grumpy" children that need to be taught that sometimes we are not able to keep a life style like we are used to, and we must conform to local laws regarding food being brought ashore from cruise ships.

Since you don't have a medical issue' date=' then you certainly wouldn't understand. In the case of diabetes and some other disorders, you can't just eat everything. Some people have severe allergies to various foods so bringing a granola bar that was made in a nut-free factory or faux dairy cheese (factory sealed, of course) may be necessary.

and with small kids, it's not a matter of kowtowing to them, but knowing that if they have at least a little food in their tummies, they won't be as grumpy. Both my daughter and hubby need to have access to food -- it's their metabolism. We do often eat lunch at a local place if sightseeing on our own or return to the ship for lunch.[/quote']

No one is saying you shouldn't be responsible regarding medical issues. Everyone so far has siad that pre-packaged food items are okay. The same goes for kids. Bring them some snacks. So they eat junk food for a few hours, who cares. They can eat pre-packaged apples rather then fresh.

And your list includes only meat, vegetables and fruits.

Obviously other foods are permitted.

Not necessarily. The web sites are very brief summaries, not the full laws and regulations.

In many cases the web sites say vegetables and fruits, but also include grains and nuts in the actual regulations/implementations. The ships notices will be far more accurate and with more detail on the actual regulations.

Basically if it is animal or plant based (which pretty much includes all food) you might run into problems, that is why it is best to follow the ships notices.

The other option is to send an e-mail to the appropriate country you are interested in (their customs web sites usually have e-mail addresses for questions) and ask what you can carry off of a cruise ship in their country. I have done that in the past when a specific question has come up. Though in most cases I have done so to ask about specific medications, not food.

Edited by RDC1

And your list includes only meat, vegetables and fruits.

Obviously other foods are permitted.

Just to be clear, you apparently focused on the information from the Yacht charter company and not from the countries customs pages them selves. All 4 that I referenced went well beyond meat, vegetables and fruits. So no, others foods are not permitted.

Regulations by country from their customs pages:

Grenada - Customs regulations prohibit the importation of food and agricultural items such as fruits, vegetables, meat, and soil.

Dominica - All agricultural produce imported must be accompanied by a Phytosanitary Certificate from the country of origin of produce.

All produce MUST BE INSPECTED upon arrival by the plant quarantine inspector:

The plant quarantine inspector reserves the right to reject or accept the produce based on its condition.

All imported produce must be pest and disease free, and free from soil.

Aruba,Bonaire, Curacao- Prohibited • Perishable foodstuffs requiring refrigeration • Plant and plant products •Meat and meat products

Barbados • Plant and plant products – unless authorised to do so

Meat and meat products – unless authorised to do so

• Bags, clothing and other articles made from camouflage material

While not food related thought I would include the very strict laws in Barbados concerning anything with camouflage on it (restricted by law to their military)

Hi, wondering if we can take snacks off the ship with us when we go onto the islands? We are traveling with our children who are always eating/hungry at different times and would make things much easier if we can bring food (muffins, sandwiches?) off the ship with us in the backpack? We will be on royal princess and have never cruised before. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for this question. I have traveled all over the world with my children (not on a cruise) and have never been stopped for muffins or other snacks. I would have thought it was OK. We're going on a 12 day cruise in the UK and now I know to purchase packaged snacks or buy local.

Now which would you rather have People visiting countries by cruise ship voluntarily follow the laws of the countries they visit? or have enough people violate the rules that the countries feel that they need to enforce the laws and check all passengers leaving the ships, delaying the exit process?

Fortunately most people follow the rules.

Regulations by country from their customs pages:

Grenada - Customs regulations prohibit the importation of food and agricultural items such as fruits, vegetables, meat, and soil.

Dominica - All agricultural produce imported must be accompanied by a Phytosanitary Certificate from the country of origin of produce.

All produce MUST BE INSPECTED upon arrival by the plant quarantine inspector:

The plant quarantine inspector reserves the right to reject or accept the produce based on its condition.

All imported produce must be pest and disease free, and free from soil.

Aruba,Bonaire, Curacao- Prohibited • Perishable foodstuffs requiring refrigeration • Plant and plant products •Meat and meat products

Barbados • Plant and plant products – unless authorised to do so

• Meat and meat products – unless authorised to do so

• Bags, clothing and other articles made from camouflage material

While not food related thought I would include the very strict laws in Barbados concerning anything with camouflage on it (restricted by law to their military)

The following is from Ed Hamilton & Co yacht charter agents giving instructions for people chartering from them. The customs web site tend to include more detail, but going to each country was getting a bit time consuming

BAHAMAS - No fresh fruits or vegetables. Packaged items such as canned and dry goods that are carried in for your own consumption are normally allowed.

BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS - No fresh fruits or vegetables.

ANTIGUA - No fresh fruits or vegetables.

GUADELOUPE - No fresh fruits or vegetables

MARTINIQUE - No fresh fruits or vegetables.

ST. LUCIA - No fresh fruits or vegetables.

ST. VINCENT & THE GRENADINES - No fresh fruits or vegetables. Packaged items such as canned and dry goods that are carried in for your own consumption are normally allowed. Items may be subject to inspection.

BELIZE - Meats require a permit from the Belize Department of Agriculture. No fresh fruits or vegetables Items may be subject to inspection and duty. Restrictions can vary from time to time and from official to official.

As we're going to some of these places next week I think I'll test them out....again.

Which islands in the Caribbean? I have never seen any whatsoever in the Caribbean and I've been to different islands literally hundreds of times and never seen any collections being done in the Caribbean.

Yes, they do announce from time to time that food is not allowed in some of those ports but never any collections or checks to be seen.

Cozumel comes to mind. I was just there last month. The dogs were there all day checking people as they exited the duty free shop. There were garbage bags of confiscated food on the table. They were confiscating sandwiches containing meat as well as fruit.

Once the dog hits on you then a person steps in and does a hand search of your bags. It was a very efficient process. Doggie doesn't hit on you then you keep going.

OP, I understand where you are coming from. We have been cruising with our children since they were small. As others have said, the only 'guarantee' is pre-packaged foods. As such, we normally stick to the prepackaged cereals from the breakfast buffet. Not ideal, but enough to satisfy a hungry tummy when one arises. Another option is some cruise ships have bagged chips in individual size servings, and those are okay as well. We also bring along a water bottle (or two) for everyone to share.

Unfortunately, breads and meats and cheeses that are not pre-packaged are likely to cause a problem.

If your touring allows, going back to the ship for lunch is another option.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

So, if anybody here is up to the challenge, next cruise, take "goodies" off ship, and report back on what islands and consequences were. Need updated information. Thanks

So as long as you don't get caught everything is fine. Even though it is on violation of the countries laws and the ship informs you of that fact, its all ok if they don't check.

So, if anybody here is up to the challenge, next cruise, take "goodies" off ship, and report back on what islands and consequences were. Need updated information. Thanks

Please break the law. If you end up in custody, please let myfuzzy know. :rolleyes: I guess respect for the countries' laws designed to protect their economy and their citizens are irrelevant because "It's MY vacation!"

If anyone wants to test any more rules, would you please get drunk and walk along the top of the railing on the jogging track? Please report back on what consequences were. It is, after all, YOUR vacation, and all rules are just "suggestions."

Oh! And while you're at it, please take a loaded firearm into one of those countries and let us know which ones put you in jail. It's YOUR vacation, after all!

No one is saying you shouldn't be responsible regarding medical issues. Everyone so far has siad that pre-packaged food items are okay. The same goes for kids. Bring them some snacks. So they eat junk food for a few hours, who cares. They can eat pre-packaged apples rather then fresh.

I was responding to someone who seemed to lack an understanding about kids (and to me, implied that parents are kowtowing to kids, when in actuality it's not babying them, but understanding their metabolism and stomach size). But on threads like this one (and there has been many), there also tends to be many who don't get it that they need to bring food for dietary reasons...and certainly should try to be proactive by packing items that are factory sealed but are also sugar free, nut free, gluten free, or whatever they need. Sometimes it's not medically driven, but driven by knowing your own metabolism (especially if you're on an all-day tour where you don't get to decide what the guide will be providing -- which happened to me a few cruises ago, when I couldn't eat the lunch provided; after that, I was better at remembering to have an unopened power bar).

Obviously some also don't understand why these laws exist or say it's just because the country wants to ensure people buy food there, etc. While many of us do understand.

We understand parents that let the kids make the rules. So that being the case the situation is clear. If you take food off the ship (hidden in a backpack or somewhere) you will be fine unless there is a dog working. In that case, the dog will alert and you will be caught. In most cases they will simply take the food and let you go. On the other hand, if somebody is having a bad day perhaps they will decide to make a big issue out of your violation....which will certainly ruin your day (and also your kids).

On the other hand you can simply follow the rules of the host country (which is polite and classy thing to do) and not take food off the ship. If your kids get hungry you can either tell them "sorry my precious ones, but you will have to wait until we get back to the ship" or perhaps, you might spend a few dollars (OH MY GOD) and buy them something locally!

Hank

P.S. Sorry in advance but a lifetime of extensive travel has given me a dislike of the UGLY AMERICAN syndrome.

I agree with Hlitner. It simply isn’t very wise for a visitor to bring food off the ship, unless it is of the medical necessity type. The image of tourists pouring into town, then chowing down and feeding their face on foods from the ship doesn’t play out very well at all. It simply reinforces the negative image a lot of residents have of us cruise types. I have enough problems trying to convince locals that the visitor industry is very important to the economy of my Alaska, and enhancement of such is a good thing. In so doing I often encounter downright hostility and anger. Comments such as “all that those people represent is the “Newly wed, nearly dead and over fed”.

We cruise, a lot. We only take bottled water with us off the ship. I know that not all locals are in love with us, so keep that in mind.

We also travel to Hawaii, almost once a year, mostly by air, sometimes by voyaging. They are indeed pretty strict about what you bring in.

”According to the State of Hawaii’s Plant Industry Division, most foods that are cooked, canned, frozen, commercially processed and/or packaged (including meat!) are welcome to Hawaii and do not need to be declared or inspected… if you purchased them in the U.S.A. If you’re coming from another country, that’s a different story. Whether you’re flying directly from a foreign country, or transiting through another U.S. destination before arriving in Hawaii, products you bring with you are subject to U.S. Customs and Border Patrol regulations. Read their guidelines on traveling with food for personal use here.

That apple you packed in your bag for the plane but didn’t finish is OK to bring into Hawaii. Your orange, however, might not be. Citrus and pulpy fruits from Florida and Puerto Rico, due to the presence of the Caribbean fruit fly, are a no-no. If you can prove that your orange is actually from California, or that it was subject to fumigation, then it’s welcome in the state of Hawaii. (If you’re not sure what proof is needed—a grocery store sticker may not pass muster—call or email the Hawaii Dept. of Ag at (808) 973-9560, hdoa.info@hawaii.gov).”

Edited by kennicott

Please break the law. If you end up in custody, please let myfuzzy know. :rolleyes: I guess respect for the countries' laws designed to protect their economy and their citizens are irrelevant because "It's MY vacation!"

If anyone wants to test any more rules, would you please get drunk and walk along the top of the railing on the jogging track? Please report back on what consequences were. It is, after all, YOUR vacation, and all rules are just "suggestions."

Oh! And while you're at it, please take a loaded firearm into one of those countries and let us know which ones put you in jail. It's YOUR vacation, after all!

I couldn't have said it better myself......

We'll be visiting a bunch of Caribbean islands in the next few weeks. I'll report back if any changes have occurred in the food checking process.

St Thomas today. :D