Take food off ship?

kdg83

Hi there. I stupidly took bananas off the ship to a snorkeling excursion at Bonaire in the Caribbean . No problem getting if off the ship at all but I soon realized while bringing out the bananas to feed the tropical fish that it was a HUGE taboo. I understood why but at the time, I just wasn't thinking. Got reprimanded for my actions of course. Best to leave fresh foods on board for so many reasons .

The fish actually eat bananas?

In Mexico - it is often people that are screening bags also. There was a large sign about no food.

That's a tough port in the mornings to carry anything past the checkpoint but a little less so in the afternoon. I guess they figure people aren't hungry at that time.

Which islands in the Caribbean? I have never seen any whatsoever in the Caribbean and I've been to different islands literally hundreds of times and never seen any collections being done in the Caribbean.

Yes, they do announce from time to time that food is not allowed in some of those ports but never any collections or checks to be seen.

Barbados has rules against bringing any fruits or vegetables for example.

Many of the other islands have similar rules. Have not seen any being confiscated myself, but have seen notices.

To everyone with the suggestion of pre packaged foods like granola bars thank you this is what we will do. For everyone that was polite with their responses thank you I have learnt quite a bit from you. We are going to do breakfast on the ship and lunch on the islands but with the walking we have planned yes our children will get hungry in between at different times!

To the ignorants that have nothing better to do with their time than to make rude comments about myself and my children... I hope at some point in your life you learn to be happy with yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi,

I have a blood sugar condition and need to eat little meals constantly, and what I have found works well, and completely saved the day for me, at least in Europe last year on very long excursion days, was Kind Bars [emoji2]. We were trekking around some places where food just wasn't available for several hours or so, and we were so glad to have an energy bar and a bottle of water with us to tide us over until we could eat at a restaurant or get back onboard and eat

Good luck and have a great cruise [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Countries take their agricultural industry very seriously and strongly protect it. An island in the Caribbean whose major industry is tourism won't be concerned but those with major agricultural industries do. If one is asked not to bring food ashore, then it behooves us to respect their wishes and not assume we know better. Manufacturer sealed packages are usually OK. Food in Ziploc or plastic bags are not.

I can speak categorically about my country here in the Caribbean - yes, we take our agriculture industry and system seriously as we export bananas and also have to feed ourselves. Just because tourism may be our main industry, doesn't mean we don't care about our environment or our food security.

Bringing foods into the country can be allowed under particular circumstances and when it's declared. Bringing seeds or fresh produce is only allowed when it's declared and supporting documentation accompanies it citing source, etc.. Same for meats, fowl and dairy. Small island nations have precarious ecosystems to begun with, and introducing harmful or invasive species of plant or food simply destroys the system.

I'd like to ask everyone to please heed the laws of the countries you're visiting and not bring food off the ship that isn't allowed. Even if it's not a law, there's plenty of prepackaged safe foods to bring if needed, or else eat heartily at breakfast and plan accordingly to eat on land...

Happy sails.

Edited by reedprincess

To everyone with the suggestion of pre packaged foods like granola bars thank you this is what we will do. For everyone that was polite with their responses thank you I have learnt quite a bit from you. We are going to do breakfast on the ship and lunch on the islands but with the walking we have planned yes our children will get hungry in between at

You don't say how old the kids are (?) but I do know there is nothing worse than a hungry toddler. If they like a certain snack like goldfish for instance, you might want to take along some single-serving pre-packaged items. There are some snacks available in the ship store, but they are very expensive. You also never know if a favorite snack will be available on shore. I sometimes take a box of cereal with me that I have gotten from room service. A little box of Frosted Flakes can make a nice snack on a long bus tour.

My experiences:

1. Flew to Cancun. Had fresh cut daffodils for my hotel room. They were confiscated by customs/immigration. I didn't know. They were very kind to let me know that it was not allowed. End of story.

2. I fly in and out of Honolulu, HI. On the flight to the islands, you are required by state law to fill out an declaration form for animals and food. You must declare and show the Agriculture agent upon your arrive. A delay in starting your vacation. Even if it is acceptable, it needs to be declared and shown. Same going out. You need to have your baggage screened by agriculture before leaving the islands by plane.

3. I cruised over to Hawaii from California. First stop Hilo...US to US soil (did not stop in Mexico first). I thought I was fine when we reached Honolulu (2nd stop). I was "detained" for 30 minutes since I was taking off pre-packaged Christmas gifts. They were not "declared" to customs when the ship was inspected in the morning. Longer story.

4. I have seen the fruit dog working the Ensenada pier. So many try to get past him. One person surrendered a fruit because he saw that others in front were being stopped. Asked if he had more. Said no....dog caught more in his backpack. Very entertaining to watch from the Promenade Deck. Nothing happened to passengers...

Yes, you can take off the ship prepackaged energy bars, snacks that are sealed, and an assortment of "approved" goodies. Coming from an "island", I would like to think that those visiting would be respectful to those who live there and abide by the laws of the land.

Happy Cruising everyone. I am not your watchdog.

Please Note: posting only as 'Jazz' here, not 'Host Jazzbeau.' I have read many of these threads with dozens of posts warning of dire consequences for taking food off the ship -- but I don't recall any posts ever containing details showing the poster has personally gotten in trouble or has actually seen people getting in trouble for this. DW often makes a ham sandwich from the breakfast buffet and carries it off in a baggy -- and we have never been stopped [this started in our naive days when we didn't know this was not allowed]. Note Again: this is not an official post, and I am not advocating that anyone break the law -- but I am asking for anyone to confirm that they personally have seen people getting in trouble for bringing a sandwich off the ship?

Well, I can give you two examples. Both New Zealand. When we arrived in New Zealand we were warned about bringing food in. My brother was traveling with his teen kids. He had brought beef jerky for the plane ride. I had warned him about making sure he declared it when he got off the plane. They were the first words out of his mouth. A good thing too because that cute little doggie kept following him. Since he had declared the reason he was left alone, well, by the people. Those little dogs hounded him :D. Sorry couldn't resist. They kept sitting down with him his entire way through the line.

The next time was leaving the ship. My DD had had an apple in her bag the day before. The dogs smelled it and she was given a more in depth check. Like empty all your bags search. So, yes, it does happen.

I'll just add this. Even though it is not a port. Many Canadians cross the US border to shop at the local Costco in Bellingham Washington. They are no longer allowed to bring back uncooked meat or eggs. It isn't just cruise ships that have strict rules. Respect the country you are entering.

If I am traveling with kids I bring pre-packaged snacks. Bags of chips, cereal boxes (they ran out of Froot Loops one cruise). Just something to hold them over until we get back to the ship or we can buy a proper lunch.

Edited by notentirelynormal

I'm dumb, but I don't understand the over usage of power bars or granola bars. If you need a "snack" available because of a medical issue, I have no problem with that, but, just because....Why would one even want to take the chance of taking food off ship? You are not going to the "outback", you are always near some kind of food and drink, either return to the ship or gosh, buy something nearby and enjoy the local cuisine.

If children won't eat, or refuse to eat when activities are planned, well, ......

Maybe there is a place to get food. That doesn't mean your excursion bus is going to stop and wait while you go in and order a breakfast to go while 50 other people sit and wait. I have been on many cruise excursions (ship and private) where food is not readily available on tours. Sometimes waiting 2 more hours just isn't feasible.

I have seen too many passengers sick after eating local foods. In general I do not trust them in many countries.

You've got that right. That'll be the day when I trust some local vendor or restaurant in the Caribbean to follow the same sanitary standards as the ship does. Just a simple snack could put you out of action for a few days of your cruise.

It's just not worth the risk.

Yes the tropical fish love bananas...but of course feeding them something like bananas upsets the eco system and of course like any type of wildlife reserve (Island just off of Bonaire) it is frowned upon to feed them . It 's like people feeding the Bears in the Wild... Having said that, it was the most spectacular snorkelling I've seen in my life .

Yes the tropical fish love bananas...but of course feeding them something like bananas upsets the eco system and of course like any type of wildlife reserve (Island just off of Bonaire) it is frowned upon to feed them . It 's like people feeding the Bears in the Wild... Having said that, it was the most spectacular snorkelling I've seen in my life .

Dry cat food is easier to take along & doesn't break down that quickly.

Hi, wondering if we can take snacks off the ship with us when we go onto the islands? We are traveling with our children who are always eating/hungry at different times and would make things much easier if we can bring food (muffins, sandwiches?) off the ship with us in the backpack? We will be on royal princess and have never cruised before. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always used to take Bananas off & feed the Iguanas in St. Thomas. God, It's like feeding dogs. They would take them from your hand. It always freaked out pax as about 20-30 Iguanas would scurry past to get fed by me sitting on a bench. Haven't been at that port area for a few years.

I have seen too many passengers sick after eating local foods. In general I do not trust them in many countries.

We have seen many passengers sick with Norovirus on ships! We live in Mexico for about 2 months a year and our main fear is that we will pick up a bug on the flight down. Once in Puerto Vallarta we have no fear of the food or drink...and having dined out over 500 times (in the past 10 years) we have only gotten sick one time...and that was when we ate "imported fish" at a high end restaurant. Go figure.

Can you get sick in a port? Absolutely. Can you get sick on a ship? Absolutely! Can you get sick at home? Absolutely! Can you get sick on a plane! Grrrrr. Now that is the big problem. In fact it is thought (by the CDC) that many of the Noro problems on ships are brought aboard by passengers who picked up the bug on planes.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Kdg83, how exciting to be taking your first cruise. It's like a whole other world and I felt like a princess. Needless to say we are totally addicted.

Every cruise there is a sign at the gangway saying you are not allowed to take food off the ship. Now, having said that, I've never seen anyone checked. We often take off food, especially if we know getting a meal will be a problem. Yes, I know I'm breaking the rules but sometimes I just take a risk. I am carefull with the food though and either eat it or carry it back to the ship. I never even leave it in the garbage.

It is well known that New Zealand uses dogs, so no food there. I also learned not to try to take my latte off in Canada (well, at least not anywhere they can see it :cool: )

Kdg83, how exciting to be taking your first cruise. It's like a whole other world and I felt like a princess. Needless to say we are totally addicted.

Every cruise there is a sign at the gangway saying you are not allowed to take food off the ship. Now, having said that, I've never seen anyone checked. We often take off food, especially if we know getting a meal will be a problem. Yes, I know I'm breaking the rules but sometimes I just take a risk. I am carefull with the food though and either eat it or carry it back to the ship. I never even leave it in the garbage.

It is well known that New Zealand uses dogs, so no food there. I also learned not to try to take my latte off in Canada (well, at least not anywhere they can see it :cool: )

if you ever come to Australia dont try it here either because we have the beagles too and in some ports they make you line up as you come off the ship and everyone has to put their bags on the ground and the dog goes along the line

I guess you've never been to Chile. Big dogs. Soldiers with big guns. Signs all over the place telling you not to try to take anything off the ship. Just because you haven't seen anyone checked doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Why do you encourage someone to break the law and possibly suffer some unhappy consequences? It's not the ship who tells you what you can and cannot bring. It's the LAWS of the countries you visit.

Like you I tailor the food I take off the ship depending on the area we go to. In the Caribbean there's no check for any of the islands- ever. People report that they check but in all our travels I have never seen it myself. We also eat everything we take off the ship.

On an Alaska cruise I watch a young woman demonstrate really bad judgement.

She was in line in front of us waiting to give her cruise card to Security while eating a large muffin.

The security officer told her she would have to step out of line until she finished eating the muffin or she could throw it into the trash.

In a loud voice, to make sure she was drawing an audience to support her, she stated "No, I am going to stand right here and finish eating" The Security officer repeated that she had to step out of line. The woman once again stated No.

At that time another Female Security Office grabbed her by the arm and pulled her out of line over next to the wall. The woman started to get loud again when a Ship Officer got into her face while talking to her. Then the Officer pointed out the Hatch down to the pier.

I did not think at that time her was giving her directions to Starbucks. I do believe he was telling her she could end up standing on the pier with her bags at her feet.

Bob

Edited by 4x4bob

On an Alaska cruise I watch a young woman demonstrate really bad judgement.

She was in line in front of us waiting to give her cruise card to Security while eating a large muffin.

The security officer told her she would have to step out of line until she finished eating the muffin or she could throw it into the trash.

In a loud voice, to make sure she was drawing an audience to support her, she stated "No, I am going to stand right here and finish eating" The Security officer repeated that she had to step out of line. The woman once again stated No.

At that time another Female Security Office grabbed her by the arm and pulled her out of line over next to the wall. The woman started to get loud again when a Ship Officer got into her face while talking to her. Then the Officer pointed out the Hatch down to the pier.

I did not think at that time her was giving her directions to Starbucks. I do believe he was telling her she could end up standing on the pier with her bags at her feet.

Bob

Its quite amazing how many people today feel that rules and laws don't apply to them.

Like you I tailor the food I take off the ship depending on the area we go to. In the Caribbean there's no check for any of the islands- ever. People report that they check but in all our travels I have never seen it myself. We also eat everything we take off the ship.

Now which would you rather have People visiting countries by cruise ship voluntarily follow the laws of the countries they visit? or have enough people violate the rules that the countries feel that they need to enforce the laws and check all passengers leaving the ships, delaying the exit process?

Fortunately most people follow the rules.

Regulations by country from their customs pages:

Grenada - Customs regulations prohibit the importation of food and agricultural items such as fruits, vegetables, meat, and soil.

Dominica - All agricultural produce imported must be accompanied by a Phytosanitary Certificate from the country of origin of produce.

All produce MUST BE INSPECTED upon arrival by the plant quarantine inspector:

The plant quarantine inspector reserves the right to reject or accept the produce based on its condition.

All imported produce must be pest and disease free, and free from soil.

Aruba,Bonaire, Curacao- Prohibited • Perishable foodstuffs requiring refrigeration • Plant and plant products •Meat and meat products

Barbados • Plant and plant products – unless authorised to do so

• Meat and meat products – unless authorised to do so

• Bags, clothing and other articles made from camouflage material

While not food related thought I would include the very strict laws in Barbados concerning anything with camouflage on it (restricted by law to their military)

The following is from Ed Hamilton & Co yacht charter agents giving instructions for people chartering from them. The customs web site tend to include more detail, but going to each country was getting a bit time consuming

BAHAMAS - No fresh fruits or vegetables. Packaged items such as canned and dry goods that are carried in for your own consumption are normally allowed.

BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS - No fresh fruits or vegetables.

ANTIGUA - No fresh fruits or vegetables.

GUADELOUPE - No fresh fruits or vegetables

MARTINIQUE - No fresh fruits or vegetables.

ST. LUCIA - No fresh fruits or vegetables.

ST. VINCENT & THE GRENADINES - No fresh fruits or vegetables. Packaged items such as canned and dry goods that are carried in for your own consumption are normally allowed. Items may be subject to inspection.

BELIZE - Meats require a permit from the Belize Department of Agriculture. No fresh fruits or vegetables Items may be subject to inspection and duty. Restrictions can vary from time to time and from official to official.

Edited by RDC1

Its quite amazing how many people today feel that rules and laws don't apply to them.

Yes, and the number of them here who encourage others to break the law.

I think it's very hard for certain people to understand the distinction, but people who take food off the ship are not disobeying ship policy ("Who cares what Princess says?" and "It's only a suggestion") but are breaking the laws of the country they visit. Goody for you! You got away with it! Is your luck going to hold?

Edited by shredie

They keep looking at it as breaking a rule - not breaking the law. If you are going to be disrespectful to the country you are visiting why go. More importantly what kind of example are you showing your kids. The laws don't apply to you. If you can get away with lying and cheating - go for it.

Here is an example: A while ago there was a guy sitting in his car in a handicap spot. It is common for those with their precious children at the dance studio to park there while they "quickly" get their child. This guy is sitting there with his son. He didn't have handicap plates or placard. So, I knock on his window and ask him. Are you handicapped? No, why do you ask? Well, you are parked in a handicap spot. Yes, but there isn't a handicapped person who wants to park here and if there is I'll move. Really? I tell him I'm handicapped and now I can't park there because you are in the spot.

I said to him: do you really expect an 80 YO handicapped guy to park in front of this spot, get out of his car and use his walker (or whatever) to go over to him and confront him. Do you really think any handicap person is going to do that or do you think they'll just keep going to find a spot farther away since this spot is taken. Is this really the example you want to show your son, that it is okay to break the law as long as someone asks you to stop. If they don't, then you can do whatever you want? He moved.

Same thing. It is okay to break the law and take food into another country. I mean, I'm not taking that much. And, it's just for me. People, you aren't that special. You are just breaking the law. Kind of like being a little bit pregnant.

Edited by notentirelynormal