Sitka Transit Bus to visit Raptor Center?

Tapi

Hello:

Has anybody used the Sitka Visitor Transit Bus "Untour"? It's a service provided on cruise days, charges $10pp and stops at several tourist attractions.

Where do we board in relation to the tender dock? Where do we purchase tickets? Can we pre-reserve? Any other useful information?

We've read that we can walk to the Raptor Center through the National Park and be there in 30 minutes, but we are traveling with my parents, who are in good health but aren't too keen on walking.

Here's the link that I found. http://www.sitka.org/listings/index.cfm?action=display&listingID=171&menuID=67&hit=1

Edited by Tapi

Yup, used the transit shuttle from right at the dock where you tender. Price has gone up (we only paid $7) but took us right up to the Raptor Center, then we walked DOWNHILL through the National Park (seeing some Russian graves/memorial) to a Cultural Center in the Park (totems and canoe carving, native dancers), then caught the shuttle there for the ride back downtown. Walked a little to see the Cathedral and looked in a few shops.

Sitka has to be my favorite of all the ports. So laid back and seemed truly Alaskan. No Diamonds International etc. Tender port with a shallow harbor, so I don't think the big ships can go there. You will really enjoy it!

This is a loop shuttle bus, making stops at various points.

It does stop at the Sitka National Park. The shuttle bus stop for the Raptor Center, still has a slight up hill walk to the get in the building. http://www.nps.gov/sitk/index.htm

The National Park, has a very nice, 1 mile loop trail past totems. Get a guide sheet/book to enhance this walk. It is level. The visitor center is a worthwhile stop., if of interest. St. Michaels Church, is a popular stop, they do charge a small admission. The Archangels native dance show is another popular attraction.

Shuttle buses load at the tender dock. You buy tickets from the driver. Ask when you come off the tender. There has usually been a visitor booth nearby (haven't been there in a few years).

Edited by Budget Queen

• 8 months later...

We just returned from an Alaskan cruise. Did take a hop-on, hop-off bus in Sitka called Tribal Tours for $10/pp. Great concept but not reliable. It looked like they were using 3 vehicles - a van, small shuttle bus and an old fashioned trolley. They were right at the port but it took a long while to get picked up at the stops. Took us 45 minutes to get picked up at Sitka National Park (Totem Park) then an hour at the Raptor Center. Too much wasted time and ran out of time to see the sights in town.

Along with the Totem Park at the end of the road, the Bishop's house downtown is free if one of your party is older and has a Golden Age pass from the Park Service. This also works at Mendenhall glacier in Juneau and the Southwest Alaska Discovery Museum in Ketchikan and is good for up to 4 people to get into these exhibits free.:D

With four people, I would just take a taxi up to the Raptor Center.

(Even with 2 people, I would take a taxi up to the Raptor Center if you don't want to walk uphill.)

Then afterwards you can walk downhill, though the National Park and then back to town or to the pier. It is a very easy, pleasant and leisurely walk if you do it going in that direction.

You can break up the walk by sitting down to view the film at the National Park's visitor center.

There were also benches where you can sit down and rest to enjoy the views along the waterfront on the walk back.

You can order a Sitka guide from

http://www.sitka.org/sitka-guide/

• 1 month later...

Our cruise line is offering the following excursion for $110 per child and $180 per adult. Can you tell me if it's worth it? We really wanted to do the Raptor Center and Fortress of the Bear, and this is the only excursion that goes to both places. However, I won't book the excursion if it's possible to get to both places on our own. We'll be in port from 9-5.

Here is the excursion write up:

This unforgettable tour provides the opportunity to experience all three of Sitka's most popular wildlife viewing experiences. First, you’ll board a deluxe, waterjet-powered catamaran and set out to explore the marine wilderness to observe sea otters, whales, Steller sea lions, porpoise, harbor seals, brown bears, black-tail deer and a variety of marine birds. An on-board naturalist will explain the workings of this remarkable ecosystem as your skilled captain maneuvers the vessel to provide the best possible views. Next, take a short coach ride to the renowned Alaska Raptor Center, where injured birds of prey, including the American bald eagle, receive medical treatment. A wildlife interpreter will guide you through the Bald Eagle Flight Center, and introduce you to some of the raptors-in-residence perched in outdoor habitats. You’ll then have some time to explore the river trail and enjoy interactive exhibits. Your adventure continues with a narrated drive along a winding, coastal road to visit the Fortress of the Bear rescue facility at Silver Bay. Here, you can view and photograph brown bears up-close from a raised platform, and learn about an Alaskan family’s dream—offering a life-saving alternative for bears caught in conflict with their human neighbors. You will have free time to explore beautiful Sitka on your own after the tour.

Our cruise line is offering the following excursion for $110 per child and $180 per adult. Can you tell me if it's worth it? We really wanted to do the Raptor Center and Fortress of the Bear, and this is the only excursion that goes to both places. However, I won't book the excursion if it's possible to get to both places on our own. We'll be in port from 9-5.

Yes it is much cheaper and easy to get to both attractions without booking this tour. The difference is the above tour offers a boat tour, which is loaded with varied wildlife- that is also very worthwhile.

Both the Raptor Center and Fortress of the Bears have detailed web sites.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Although I am a cruiser, I just happened to be be working in Sitka for two months, and just got back home a few days ago. Please be aware: There are many people that will say you can easily walk from the Raptor Center to downtown though Totem National Park. However, you should be aware, that around June 1, 2017 (please don't quote me on the exact date!) the footbridge over the Indian River, which is the main pathway back to downtown Sitka and the dock, was demoed. They are in the process of building a new bridge. So now it is a long walk, and worth a taxi or shuttle. I'm sorry, I don't know the completion date, but the process started about June 1.

I can't recall what year it was and we have only been to fortress of the bears once- but I would have to rank it as probably my #1 WORST!!! of 50+ excursions in Alaska. It was muddy, smelly, the bears were in concrete pens and looked miserable. The rescue stories seemed ridiculous from the standpoint of looking at them in the pen thinking- this is what you call being rescued- not sure that they are better off.... maybe things have changed there but I was disappointed that we chose that over so many other options. raptor center and walk thru national park was nice- but sounds like that isn't an option. We also went fishing and out somewhere to see the puffins- it was a wonderful day on the water!

We are going to Alaska in Sept. I called Fortress of the bears. If you get on the free downtown shuttle, then get off downtown, you will see a shuttle to fortress of the bears. It is $10 round trip per person and runs every hour. The cost to get in is $10 too. On the way back they will drop you off and the