Toscana/Polo Reservations

Classiccruiser777

I want to make sure I understand your post because what you've written appears to describe de facto early reservations even if the actual reservation occurs later on the timeline for lower category rooms.

To keep things straight I'll refer to Guest A (high category booking), Guest B (friend of A but booked in a lower category) and Guest C (same high category as A but a stranger.) For the purpose of this example, everyone is trying for the same restaurant on the same night and time slot.

We're in agreement that Guest A makes the anchor reservation with the proviso that they agree to share. That's straightforward enough. My understanding of what happens next is where we diverge.

Theoretically, nothing should keep Guest C from booking the open seats at Guest A's table. Guest C is willing to share and his/her reservation timeline is active. The table has been booked by people who have said they're willing to share. So despite the fact that Guest C wants a shared table at that very day and time, he/she isn't assigned to those seats. We know this because they're still available weeks later when Guest B is able to make reservations. That's the situation that is causing people to complain about violating the hierarchy.

You've written that Guest B has given received details of the reservation from friend Guest A. Doesn't Guest A also provide information to the reservation system about sharing with specific guests, literally Guest B's name and room number?

If so, and if that information is effectively blocking Guest C from filling those seats, then low-category Guest B has a de facto reservation earlier then his/her timeline allows. It's only a minor technicality that Guest B still is required to complete the reservation when his/her timeline goes active.

When an available seat gets taken out of inventory for a lower-level guest people are right to complain. A de facto reservation is just as unfair as a formal reservation; the hierarchy has been violated.

I don't disagree. Patently unfair. You could not do this until about two years ago. I found about about it on cc. Hopefully they have changed the policy.

Guest b did not do anything when time came to book. Guest b ( in an inside cabin) got a reservation to dine with guest a when his friend in a suite listed guest b' s his reservation number on the invitation to dine. Effectively the guest in the inside cabin is booking when suites book

There is an old thread on this somewhere

That was how it worked. Unfair in the extreme.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by bitob

YIKES talk about confusing

I usually book a non sharing table then when our friends that usually get an inside time slot opens I call & ask to add them to the reservation

We have also just booked the same date & time when our time slot come up then once onboard ask to put us at the same table

That's the honest way to do it

But when they changed the rule to allow invites to lower category cabins prime times (e.g. Sea days 7 pm) could get taken by cruises who should not yet be able to book

Hope they have eliminated that practice

Actually, that Policy didn't/ doesn't violate the hierarchy.

The Guest in the higher category cabin makes the anchor reservation as normal (with the proviso that they agree to "share"), and then others who wish to dine with them add their names to that table AS THEIR RESERVATION TIMELINES ALLOW-, by virtue of having access to the original guests' booking number and reservation details.

The sole "advantage", if there is one, is that like minded passengers, across all cabin categories, may arrange to dine with friends easily.

I am guessing you have not sailed on Oceania in quite a while because this unfair policy was implemented about two years ago. On my July cruise on booked on the date that suite bookings opened. My friends in Insides, Verandas and CC cabins had confirmed reservations with their booking numbers when I invited them. No one had to add their names to a table at a later date.

I found the old thread - March 18 2015 "Question about Online booking for specialty restaurants" -- that's where the new policy was first revealed on CC.

If someone wants to search, there is a thread on this somewhere -- that's how I learned it could be done. A few people liked the idea -- "why shouldn't families who travel together be able to dine together" -- was one of the refrains I recall in defense of this loophole in the dining reservation system.

Edited by bitob

I am guessing you have not sailed on Oceania in quite a while because this unfair policy was implemented about two years ago. On my July cruise on booked on the date that suite bookings opened. My friends in Insides, Verandas and CC cabins had confirmed reservations with their booking numbers when I invited them. No one had to add their names to a table at a later date.

I found the old thread - March 18 2015 "Question about Online booking for specialty restaurants" -- that's where the new policy was first revealed on CC.

If someone wants to search, there is a thread on this somewhere -- that's how I learned it could be done. A few people liked the idea -- "why shouldn't families who travel together be able to dine together" -- was one of the refrains I recall in defense of this loophole in the dining reservation system.

Does this really matter...really,

You can get all sorts of reservations on the ship whether your in the King Farouk Suite In the lowly inside... Not to mention the main dining room etc... or La Reserve. I dont even use 1/2 of the reservations they offer....

Does this really matter...really,

You can get all sorts of reservations on the ship whether your in the King Farouk Suite In the lowly inside... Not to mention the main dining room etc... or La Reserve. I dont even use 1/2 of the reservations they offer....

Of course, Dan, this is only your opinion and preference (to which you are entitled) but I hope that you will agree that this does NOT apply for everyone.

We make our reservations ASAP as we carefully choose the date, the time and the table size we prefer, according to our plans for that cruise.

For example, if one prefers to dine early and alone, if you leave the booking till you get on board, you WILL be given a reservation but it may be at a table for 6 at 9:30 on a night when you want to see the show (or when you need to pack) - it may be OK for you but it's not what I want :D

I am posting this for the benefit of O newbies.

Edited by Paulchili

You are completely incorrect about all of this. From the very inception of Oceania Cruises the Reservation Guarantees were timed to give the Suites preference.

There was no change two years ago, and in no case, EVER, were lower category cabins permitted to add themselves to reservations until their reservation timeline began.

Do not believe everything that you hear around the pooldeck.

Edited by StanandJim

There was no change two years ago, and in no case, EVER, were lower category cabins permitted to add themselves to reservations until their reservation timeline began.

If this was the case 2 years ago - and I believe you that it may have been so - the reservation agents were not aware of this as lower categories were definitely able to add themselves to reservations before their reservation timeline began.

I guess this was now corrected and the reservation agents were reminded of this rule?

Edited by Paulchili

Of course, Dan, this is only your opinion and preference (to which you are entitled) but I hope that you will agree that this does NOT apply for everyone.

We make our reservations ASAP as we carefully choose the date, the time and the table size we prefer, according to our plans for that cruise.

For example, if one prefers to dine early and alone, if you leave the booking till you get on board, you WILL be given a reservation but it may be at a table for 6 at 9:30 on a night when you want to see the show (or when you need to pack) - it may be OK for you but it's not what I want :D

I am posting this for the benefit of O newbies.

If your putting your self on a tight schedule I can see that. My opinion and its only mine, is that I dont get that set or boxed in letting stuff flow on the cruise without having to be anywhere at any time for anyone. is pure joy.

For me the joy of cruising is letting each day/hour happen and enjoying the experience. That too might be something a newby might want to consider also...in addition to over packing add "over planning and scheduling" I see all to many with their notebooks of schedules and computers madly pouring over them scheduling every second of the day with have to be here and then there.. And its all self imposed stress to detract from the enjoyment of letting it all happen or not.

Too I am not interested in the "shows" as I havent been impressed by any as worthy of a detour in my life. But thats me.

If your putting your self on a tight schedule I can see that. My opinion and its only mine, is that I dont get that set or boxed in letting stuff flow on the cruise without having to be anywhere at any time for anyone. is pure joy.

For me the joy of cruising is letting each day/hour happen and enjoying the experience. That too might be something a newby might want to consider also...in addition to over packing add "over planning and scheduling" I see all to many with their notebooks of schedules and computers madly pouring over them scheduling every second of the day with have to be here and then there.. And its all self imposed stress to detract from the enjoyment of letting it all happen or not.

Too I am not interested in the "shows" as I havent been impressed by any as worthy of a detour in my life. But thats me.

It's not a matter of being on "a tight schedule" - it's a matter of me deciding what I want rather than someone else (Oceania) giving me "left overs".

As far as "over planning and scheduling" - people are who they are. Some like to plan ahead, others do not. They are not very likely to change at this point in their lives - newbies or not :D

It's nice that we all don't like the same things - it would make life more difficult. That is what makes us individuals and not a pack of animals. :)

Vive la difference!

Edited by Paulchili

You are completely incorrect about all of this. From the very inception of Oceania Cruises the Reservation Guarantees were timed to give the Suites preference.

Do not believe everything that you hear around the pooldeck.

You are just plain wrong. This is based on my own experience. Anyone in any cabin that I added to my reservation got booked earlier than their cabin category allowed. That was just this past July. I booked, invited them and they got confirmations. Read the thread from March 2015.

Forget the inception -- that was a long time ago.

You are just plain wrong. This is based on my own experience. Anyone in any cabin that I added to my reservation got booked earlier than their cabin category allowed. That was just this past July. I booked, invited them and they got confirmations. Read the thread from March 2015.

Forget the inception -- that was a long time ago.

All I can say is it is not allowed now.

All I can say is it is not allowed now.

I'm glad they reverted back to the original policy. As much as I enjoyed inviting my friends before their assigned booking date it was not at all fair as it allowed those with friends in higher categories to jump ahead of the line

For what it's worth, I just made reservations for my mom and me--we're in a veranda for the December 11 Sirena cruise out of LA. I chose sharing for both restaurants, and had no trouble getting 7:30 p.m. reservations. Granted, booking for our cabin level opened about an hour ago, which helped.