Beverage Packages

brittmama

Is there an 18% gratuity affixed to each and every drink while utilizing the beverage package?

Seriously ???

What would be the point of offering a package is that were the case :eek:

AFAIK the gratuity is part of the package price

Seriously ???

If I had known it 'were the case' I wouldn't have asked. You might want to soften your attitude.

Seriously ???

I think I've read NCL does it that way.

I think I've read NCL does it that way.

Seriously ?

They add the 18% to each drink you get in their package ?

I do not sail NCL

Looking at their website is appears that charge the 18% to the package price not the individual drinks (at least the way I interpret it)

plus their package deal is only good for drinks under $15

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/onboard-packages/beverage-packages

Edited by LHT28

Thank you, ORV. As NCL is the parent company of Oceania, I wondered if some of their policies extended throughout their fleet.

NCLH is the parent company but NCL Oceania & Regent are run independently for the most part

EG NCL charge a corkage fee for each bottle of wine you bring on the ship no matter where you drink it

Oceania only charges a fee when you take the wine to a dining venue ..you can drink the wine in your cabin no charge

Edited by LHT28

Thank you, ORV. As NCL is the parent company of Oceania, I wondered if some of their policies extended throughout their fleet.

Regent , Oceania, NCL all in the same ownership......vastly different on products.... No each sector or tier has its own marketing , practices and focus.

NCL is the entry level mass market first time cruiser where cheap fares are offered and nickel dime aboard for everything.

Sorry if I posted wrong info. I did say I read it somewhere here on CC. I should have checked the NCL board first, but never have any reason to go there.

Maybe it used to be that way and changed, or what I read was misinformation.

The 18% is most definitely included in the package price.we just got off Riviera and as we were on. Cruises that started and ended in Spain there was an addition 10% vat added to each individual drink purchased not having the pkg. (21%Vat on any purchases in boutiques etc). We were under the impression that we would also have to pay the10% on the package. I asked reception why this charge was not on our bill. She said "we were not buying drinks we were buying a package so no charge. Like buying a shore excursion which is not taxed. The pkg was. Great deal for us on this particular cruise

I see there is package to buy select wines for $49 a bottle, as long as you buy seven bottles. Are these the wines they serve at every meal you would get with the wine package or part of a better group of select wines?

They have a specific list you choose from

Usually you will find the list in your cabin on boarding day

There is a sample list on the website but it may not be the same list you get on your sailing

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/value/beverage-packages/ (see link)

Some wines may be available in the normal by the glass offerings or not

Edited by LHT28

We are cruising on the Marina out of Miami where there is a 7% sales tax applicable to all bar purchases until out of Miami waters about 2 hours later.

We are taking the Beverage Package as out "OLife' option and want to upgrade to the premium package. Can we do this upgrade before sail date?

Otherwise we will have to wait the 2 hours til out of Miami waters or pay an additional $43.40 per person in taxes.

I was told (by O), no, the upgrade can only be purchased on board.

Seemed like a waste of time and resources having to line up at Reception to purchase and have new cards made. I was anticipating many would want to upgrade and so Reception could be extra busy. A benefit though is that as it is a charge to your account OBC could be used toward it.

I still preferred to pay now and have it dealt but accepted the process.

Thanks for the warning of the Miami tax! We know now to wait.

Might not be a very celebratory sail away though.

The alternative might be to bring on your own booze (whether wine or the hard stuff). You can drink in your room with no charge, so pay a corkage (at least for wine) in a public venue.

I think I'd just buy the individual drink or two until we're out of Miami waters ...

Seems like all governments have figured out they can make a lot of money this way. We just can't blame Spain and Italy any more! We do it too ...

Mura

Are we only able to purchase the upgrade on the beverage package at reception? On Celebrity we could do it at any bar. Please let me know if you have the answer for it

It is only available at reception. The difference is, on Celebrity, they just put a sticker on your cabin card. On O, they issue you a new cabin card, so when they swipe it, the system knows you are on a pkg. Only reception can issue new cabin cards.

Thanks to all providing answers - guess we'll do as Mura suggests and use our own liquor to enjoy a 'sail-away' drink from our veranda or go on deck and pay for the 1st one (or 2) - still less expensive than the tax.

• 2 weeks later...