ship time

sewingbee

hi, i understand that I live my life by ship time on my cruise but am unsure as to how ship time is determined. Is it set at port of embarkation? Only matters because I'm looking at booking tours direct and need to give them a local time for their reference. I need to allow enough time to get off etc. My ship leaves from Fort Lauderdale, and sails the western Caribbean. Thanks

Just noticed that the clocks change by 1 hour on 5th Nov (I sail on the 3rd) so will the ship alter the time to winter time as well?

You will be told IF the ship is changing time. Bring a watch so you can set it to whatever time the ship's clocks show.

There is really no way to know in advance if the Captain will change the time.

The policy is set by the ship's Captain, and can vary by cruise line and ship. However, most cruise lines change to local port time. You will be told of any time changes.

The local tour vendors know the policy better than anyone. They know when the ship will arrive, and when it will depart.

if you want to use your phone to keep track of the time, you will need to turn off your phone's auto-set feature, and set it to manually update. They will make announcements for the time on ship, and there are LARGE signs at the debarkation area showing what time it currently is according to ship's time and what time you have to be back. reset your watch and phone and you should be good. even better is only rely on a watch, and ignore the time on your phone completely, however I know personally how hard that is.

hi, i understand that I live my life by ship time on my cruise but am unsure as to how ship time is determined. Is it set at port of embarkation? Only matters because I'm looking at booking tours direct and need to give them a local time for their reference. I need to allow enough time to get off etc. My ship leaves from Fort Lauderdale, and sails the western Caribbean. Thanks

The policy is set by the ship's Captain, and can vary by cruise line and ship. However, most cruise lines change to local port time. You will be told of any time changes.

The local tour vendors know the policy better than anyone. They know when the ship will arrive, and when it will depart.

OP, the information provided by CruiserBruce is correct. While ship time may remain as the departure port time, it is always at the sole discretion of the Captain as what actual time the ship will follow as "ship time". It will be posted on board daily and excursions will adjust accordingly.

Thank-you, I'm in the UK so now I just need to work out eastern time, all this maths!:)

Be aware that even during your sailing there could be time changes

Your room steward will leave a small post card to advise of a move forward or backward with a little clock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will probably be on Atlantic time, but there is no way to know. Just assume that your local provider knows when your ship will be arriving. If you are uncomfortable with that, make sure he knows your mobile number and vice versa. You are one of thousands in the same situation and both the ships and the on-shore vendors work hard to make everything work smoothly.