Golden circle tours in Reykjavik

Oboedot

am looking for one myself for late april. have contacted thors as we will be staying in keflavik during our 3 day layover. my original choice, geoiceland, does not pick up at hotels outside of reykjavik. they have gotten rave reviews on tripadvisor. i sent them a message and they were very prompt with a reply. i will let you know what i arrange as i will be there a few months before you, i believe.

LondonTowner has the best advice. Gray Line and Reykjavik Excursions are fine, but you will be in a big bus with 50 other people, and you'll have to wait at every stop for the stragglers. We much prefer smaller minibus type tours for places like this. Price is similar, experience is so much more fulfilling.

geoiceland is a small group as well...only up to 19 per tour, i believe. that is what got me interested in them. however, if i want to use them, they told me i have to take the flybus to reykjavic bus station. lol. ok.....they DO pick up in the town, but keflavik and the airport are about an hour away. i will follow this post since i was just quoted $400 for a tour for two of us for 6 hrs. i feel that is extravagant...but perhaps this is the norm for the area? i explained i wanted a small group tour, this is for a private tour for my husband and i of the golden circle for comparison.

geoiceland is a small group as well...only up to 19 per tour, i believe. that is what got me interested in them. however, if i want to use them, they told me i have to take the flybus to reykjavic bus station. lol. ok.....they DO pick up in the town, but keflavik and the airport are about an hour away. i will follow this post since i was just quoted $400 for a tour for two of us for 6 hrs. i feel that is extravagant...but perhaps this is the norm for the area? i explained i wanted a small group tour, this is for a private tour for my husband and i of the golden circle for comparison.

Staying in Keflavik for 3 days is a huge mistake, IMHO. Pretty much all tours leave from Reykjavik. Reykjavik is a real (small) city with restaurants, shops, bars, and museums. Keflavik is a former army base that they put so far away so the soldiers wouldn't mess with the local women.

Please don't stay there!

Actually, Keflavik is an old naval base, not army. have friends who were stationed there and have told us to stay in keflavik and NOT reykjavik. lol. to each their own, i suppose. no, i do not know about any roll call for our ship. our ship leaves from copenhagen days from when we arrive in iceland. indeed, we are staying in keflavik on a stopover with icelandair. it looks like a nice idea being able to fit another country in to this itinerary. get in very early in the morning after an overnight flight. staying just steps from the airport is very appealing to us. we should be able to navigate the flybus to get us into reykjavik later that afternoon. the next full day we are leaving for touring should we be able to find one that is reasonable. i don't want a big bus and i want to get the most bang for my buck. yes, sticker shock is setting in for this trip! i have contacted 4 tour operators so far and have found nothing to suit me. the other problem being time of year. some of the tours i would be most interested in do not start until later in may. our flight out of keflavik to copenhagen leaves very early in the morning and again...being steps from the airport and not having to worry about getting there is probably most important to us at this point. we do not have the flight booked yet and this might all change.

We went through Ice Limo Luxury Tours. There were 4 total. I had actually tried to book a few months ahead of time, but they have a 3 person minimum. On the day we arrived in Iceland (we did a 2 day stop over on our way to Copenhagen), they emailed me to let me know there was another couple who had inquired so we were all set.

They picked us up at our hotel (Hilton Reykjavik) and we did the combo Golden Circle and South Shore tour. It was incredible! 4 of us + the driver in a full size Excursion. While it was very long, it was well worth it to do it all in one day. The price was very reasonable considering the personal service. We were able to avoid all of the large bus tours and since there were only 4 of us, we were able to spend our time seeing the sites and getting from one place to another vs. waiting for everyone at rest stops, getting on and off busses, etc. I figured it was about $100 total more for both of us doing it this way vs. booking the 2 tours separate with a large bus tour.

The other benefit of the combo tour is it freed up one of the days in our limited time to spend time in Reykjavik and enjoy the city. We took a great Segway tour with Sway tours. I cannot recommend her enough either.

thanks, reney! i will be contacting them. hopefully, another couple would be interested. the tough part is that we will be needing to get to reykjavik in the early morning for the tour. no one seems to start or pick up near the airport which i find odd. lol.

I can highly recommend a terrific tour guide for your Reykavik port stop. We booked Jon when we were docked a few years ago and we were so pleased with his tour. We had a small group of 6 and traveled in Jon's mini van. We did the Golden Circle tour and it was such a great day with Jon. He took us to places that other tour guides don't go and skirted around the many busses that were doing the Golden Circle tour as well. If it was crowded at a stop he would show us something else and go back when the busses were gone.

http://solstice.is/golden-circle/

Do yourself a favor and contact Jon and ask him about his tours. He can tailor your day any way you want. You can read the reviews on his tours on TA and all who booked him were pleased. Good luck. Have a great trip.

Correct, Navy, not Army, my bad.

Nevertheless, it's the middle of nowhere and you'll have many many more options staying in Reykjavik than you will in Keflavik. We used Icelandhorizon.is for our Golden Circle tour. Charged about the same as the big bus, but David uses a minibus, so you'll have 12-15 people maximum on your trip. Much more personal service than on a big bus and no waiting for 50 people to come back from the bathroom/giftshop/selfie pictures.

Edited by Nitemare

We spent a week in Iceland in 2014, and will be returning again this spring. We found it very easy to do our own version of the Golden Circle tour in a rental car. We had a map, but the roads are well signed. And by having a car we were able to stop exactly where we desired so my geologist husband could check some interesting geological features. We also didn't have to stop at the shopping "opportunities."

We spent a week in Iceland in 2014, and will be returning again this spring. We found it very easy to do our own version of the Golden Circle tour in a rental car. We had a map, but the roads are well signed. And by having a car we were able to stop exactly where we desired so my geologist husband could check some interesting geological features. We also didn't have to stop at the shopping "opportunities."

We also did on our own - review and videos from our trip at: iceland-video.blogspot.com

5tW389nenGA

Oskar offers a private tour for up to 5 people in a taxi. His company is Golden Circle Taxi. His rate for 2016 for the Golden Circle Tour is 53,000 Icelandic kroners for the day, which seems very reasonable. Has anyone used Oskar's services? Any reviews? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Oskar offers a private tour for up to 5 people in a taxi. His company is Golden Circle Taxi. His rate for 2016 for the Golden Circle Tour is 53,000 Icelandic kroners for the day, which seems very reasonable. Has anyone used Oskar's services? Any reviews? Thanks

Hi,

I saw your post re. Oskar at Golden Circle Taxi, and wrote to him directly. He is very responsive, seems flexible with his itinerary, and reasonably priced. I checked TripAdvisor, and don't see any reviews on him or his company. I then did a google search, and didn't find much. If you do receive any feedback, would you kindly share with me? I'm Diane at dzwong@att.net (dzwong at att dot net).

Thank you!

• 7 months later...

We just returned from our cruise and used: solsticetours.is. On -9/14/16 in Reykjavik we had a driver/guide named Bogi through solsticetours. He was fabulous. His wealth of knowledge was extraordinary. We had a wonderful roomy van for 12. The day was full and Bogi made sure that we had little interesting stops added to our traditional Golden Circle tour to make it quite special. Do not hesitate to use this operator.