WiFi - Escape - Internet speeds

Russ_MT

I've been reading lots of stuff about Internet on NCL. So what's the story?

Does NCL have faster WiFi?

Specifically on Escape?

We are booked on Escape in November and are wondering what kind of Internet speed we can expect. RCCL has uber-fast VOOM. I don't expect that. But can we make VOIP calls? Post pictures?

What is the latest status of NCL Internet speed?

NCL, for the most part, has internet the is more than adequate for VOIP calls (we use facetime voice and skype voice). And facetime video most of the time. (We sail NCL 5+ times a year on different ships in different part of the world).

Prior to their internet upgrades last summer, the Escape had the worst internet in the NCL fleet (to the point of being unusable). Extremely over subscribed. They would sell packages even when there was no more bandwidth to be had.

Since that time, the Escape is one of two ships running a pilot of a tiered internet service with basic social media, internet, and streaming internet being the tiers.

We have not sailed on the Escape since the pilot was launched several months ago.

I'll let you know know in early October, the 7th to be exact. CruiseLifeRick just did a live thread a little while ago and posted plenty of pictures, so I'm kind of optimistic.

Was just on Escape in June, had the "Premium" unlimited package, advertised that your should be able to run Netflix.

Not a chance, it was horribly slow not even the Netflix catalog would load. Went to the IT desk and he was having the same problem.

Was like that during the whole cruise. RCCL by far has much better service.

RCCL has a contracted lock on the only true high speed satellites in the Caribbean and Atlantic for now (more are expected to be launched).

With the changes, you have a better chance of it working, but if lots of people buy the streaming tier and are using it, you will find it does not work well or at all. Compared to land, even at its best, total bandwith will rarely be sufficient for a 4000 passenger ship.

We were just on the Escape and bought premium. We streamed quite a bit without issue. I was able to work a bit and it was damn fine Internet. Best I've experienced on a ship to-date but I have not been on RCCL so there's that.

Hi,

I just returned from the NCL Escape. Due to some health concerns for a family member, I bought the premium internet package so that I could keep in touch regularly. It worked just fine most of the time. There were one or two ship wide outages here and there, a bit slow every once in a while. However, I was able to call home via the Facebook Messanger app with no problem and even used the video feature. I was able to stream Pandora for music while I was relaxing on deck in the afternoons, as well as stream Netflix later in the evening before bed. I would say that overall the internet was much improved from my experience on the Escape last summer.

NCL, for the most part, has internet the is more than adequate for VOIP calls (we use facetime voice and skype voice). And facetime video most of the time. (We sail NCL 5+ times a year on different ships in different part of the world).

Prior to their internet upgrades last summer, the Escape had the worst internet in the NCL fleet (to the point of being unusable). Extremely over subscribed. They would sell packages even when there was no more bandwidth to be had.

Since that time, the Escape is one of two ships running a pilot of a tiered internet service with basic social media, internet, and streaming internet being the tiers.

We have not sailed on the Escape since the pilot was launched several months ago.

I will have an Internet package - Can I make calls using Messenger on my iPad?

Thanks,

Marion

We were just on the Escape and bought premium. We streamed quite a bit without issue. I was able to work a bit and it was damn fine Internet. Best I've experienced on a ship to-date but I have not been on RCCL so there's that.

Do you remember how much the Premium Package was? I will be on Escape this Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you remember how much the Premium Package was? I will be on Escape this Saturday.

I'm also interested in the packages offered - tiers/minutes/etc, since we sail in 20 days (but who's counting, lol)!

Our booking comes with 250 minutes of wi-fi included. Can I assume that will be 250 minutes of the LOWEST level (speed) tier? If so, are there upgrade options?

THANKS

I'm also interested in the packages offered - tiers/minutes/etc, since we sail in 20 days (but who's counting, lol)!

Our booking comes with 250 minutes of wi-fi included. Can I assume that will be 250 minutes of the LOWEST level (speed) tier? If so, are there upgrade options?

THANKS

I have read in other threads where people that had the free 250 minutes were able to upgrade onboard to the unlimited for less than $100. That upgrade price depends on how long your cruise is, obviously.

• 1 month later...
I have read in other threads where people that had the free 250 minutes were able to upgrade onboard to the unlimited for less than $100. That upgrade price depends on how long your cruise is, obviously.

Thanks.

They were able to upgrade my plan. Prior to the cruise, the shore side concierge said it was not possible. Once onboard, it was one of the first things I asked of the concierge - "no problem doing that" he replied. Seems like it was about $120 or so additional for the week. Come to think of it, I suppose I paid too soon, as that cruise did not last a week!! (IRMA!)

At any rate, it was nice having it on at all times. It was spotty in some parts of the ship, but overall I was pleased.

i-fkmnnKj-L.png

Tom

Thanks Tom for the update.

That speed is certainly acceptable for most Internet purposes. The latency (ping) is horrendous. However, expected as it needs to bounce off a satellite that's over 500 miles away. This might become an issue for those requiring VPNs and SSL connections that require more back and forth handshaking.

Thanks for the speed test Tom!

Thanks Tom for the update.

That speed is certainly acceptable for most Internet purposes. The latency (ping) is horrendous. However, expected as it needs to bounce off a satellite that's over 500 miles away. This might become an issue for those requiring VPNs and SSL connections that require more back and forth handshaking.

Happy to chip in !

For comparative purposes - here's the same test I conducted on the Allure last year (loved that connection)!

i-83nGkZ6-L.png

Tom

• 2 months later...
Happy to chip in !

For comparative purposes - here's the same test I conducted on the Allure last year (loved that connection)!

Tom

Nothing beats Royal's Voom (O3b) connection.

Escape speeds were adequate for us. We were able to surf/check email fairly fast and make/receive phone calls over IP. I wouldn't even bother with video, but I was able to email some video clips.

I was a little annoyed that they were stingy with it. We were in a loft suite on Allure and they gave each of use in the cabin our own login. We could call/text each other from anywhere onboard.

On Escape, we had an Owners Suite and they gave us ONE login of 120 minutes. I upgraded to unlimited and used my HooToo router to share the connection. But honestly, they gave us UDP, UBP, excursion credits and $1000 onboard credit and only 120 minutes of Internet with one login.

yes I was on the Allure too then the NCL Epic and felt I was back in the age of dial up because that was the speed we were getting. Royal and O3B have a constellation of low or mid earth satellites vs the geostationary ones so the orbit is much lower about 5,000 miles as opposed to 22,000 for others.

True High speed internet is now one of my must haves when it comes to a cruise.