New Caledonia query

I'm searching and searching the internet to try find out if I'll be able to see a few sites when my cruise ports in the islands of New Caledonia.

I think this is my big limitation......I use a heavy power wheelchair and can't stand to transfer so if I need to travel I'll need a wheelchair accessible vehicle. 'Walking' across loose sand is a no-no but compacted sand is ok (like sandy land paths).

We stop at Isle of Pines, Lifou, Mare and Noumea.

If anyone knows anything about these locations, I'd love to find out what I can. For example, are there ample non-beach things to do by the ports? Or are there wheelchair accessible vehicles?

Fingers crossed that someone knows about my obscure query!

In Noumea you will have to be able to get on and off the shuttle bus that takes you from the container wharf, where the ships dock, to the terminal building. You can't go through the container wharf by yourself but there may be alternatives if you talk to the cruise line. They might allow a wheelchair accessible taxi or something onto the wharf to pick you up.

The other three ports are tender ports and you would not be able use the tenders with your wheelchair, I'm afraid. I think you'll be stuck on the ship on those days. :(

I do not have good news for you. I doubt that you would find wheelchair-accessible vehicles in any of the ports you mention.

Isle of Pines - go ashore by tender. From the jetty there is a bitumen road that leads to two swimming beaches. You would be able to see the beaches/water from the road, but unless you can walk on an uneven grassy surface, then sand, you would not be able to reach the water.

Lifou - go ashore by tender. From the jetty, a road (I think it is bitumen) leads up a fair slope to where there are a couple of market stalls (not much really). There are cars and vans that take people on tours, but I think it is unlikely any would be wheelchair accessible. There is a beach beside where the tenders come in. It is quite attractive, but you might have difficulty getting down to it. From the area where there are market stalls, there is a fairly steep slope up to a road that leads to Jinek Bay (by going left) or to a village (by going right). I do not think you could manage either of these and I do not think it would be worth the effort for you.

Mare. go ashore by tender. Sorry I have not been there, but I think you will encounter the same problems with access to a beach.

Noumea. the ship ties up. :) Some ships tie up at the cruise terminal (that is virtually in the middle of town) and others have to dock at the container wharf. From there passengers must go by bus (similar to a City Council bus) to the cruise terminal. If the ship docks at the cruise terminal you could easily get to Coconut Square and the shops etc. around the square.

Maybe at all of the ports, if your ship offers tours that can accommodate you, maybe it would be the best option. All the best.

In Noumea you will have to be able to get on and off the shuttle bus that takes you from the container wharf, where the ships dock, to the terminal building. You can't go through the container wharf by yourself but there may be alternatives if you talk to the cruise line. They might allow a wheelchair accessible taxi or something onto the wharf to pick you up.

The other three ports are tender ports and you would not be able use the tenders with your wheelchair, I'm afraid. I think you'll be stuck on the ship on those days. :(

Good to confirm those things! The agent definitely told us that there are no tenders at these stops but the more I thought about it, the more I doubted that her info was correct.

Thanks so much :)

Good to confirm those things! The agent definitely told us that there are no tenders at these stops but the more I thought about it, the more I doubted that her info was correct.

You need a new travel agent! Most of the New Caledonia, Vanuatu and Fiji port stops are tenders. Noumea, Port Vila, Luganville, and Suva are the only wharf ports.

Cruise lines can cater for limited mobility passengers.

Search on the website of the company you are travelling with.

Eg here is the P&O page :

https://www.pocruises.com.au/plan/know-before-you-buy/limited-mobility

There is an obscure caveat buried in that about tender ports limiting tour options.

You need a new travel agent! Most of the New Caledonia, Vanuatu and Fiji port stops are tenders. Noumea, Port Vila, Luganville, and Suva are the only wharf ports.

And Lautoka in Fiji.

Leigh

Thanks so much :)

That is ridiculous. I agree with possum52. You need another agent. Maybe you should ask him/her if they have ever been on a cruise ship. :D With your ports (Isle of Pines, Lifou, Mare and Noumea) only Noumea is a docking (not a tender) port.

If the weather is not rough, usually a person using a wheelchair is permitted to use the tender PROVIDED they can walk a couple of metres (with assistance) and step onto the tender. The ones we have been on have fold-down seats right beside the entry point to the tender. The wheelchair is loaded onto the tender by crew. To disembark from the tender you would need to be able to walk a few metres. I am mentally picturing the jetties at Isle of Pines and Lifou and I am pretty sure there are no steps. Probably the same at Mare.

Ask any questions that come to your mind. There will be several people here who can answer from personal experience. All the best.

We stop at Isle of Pines, Lifou, Mare and Noumea.

Those are all tender ports, except for Noumea. At Noumea there are two docks, the passenger dock in the centre of town for the smaller ships and the container dock for the larger ships which is some distance away. I don't remember seeing any transport at the container dock for wheelchairs, but I think you might be able to get on the yellow Tchou Tchou train tour that departs from there if you can arrange to leave your chair behind with the ship's crew.

If you tell us what cruise you are on, someone will be able to tell you where it docks in Noumea.

Most importantly get on to the cruise line and tell them exactly what you will be needing.

We have recently been on a South Pacific cruise on the Sun Princess. I mobilise using a heavy chair (LevoC3) 180kgs without me in it, so I know your 'pain'. Firstly get rid of your useless travel agent! This site and google will give you much more accurate information.

You do not say which ship you are on.

Noumea - we did a three hour city tour and aquarium visit, with the bus having a wheelchair hoist and wheelchair area which was very secure. I think there are three such large buses in Noumea.

Alternatively, there is a wheelchair accessible van which can take you into the town area, but really the town is not wheelchair friendly and there is not much to see via your chair. I am not sure if you can hire the van privately, but it may be worth researching this via the internet.

Whilst on this topic of accessibility in the South Pacific, even when the ship does dock there is probably no transport for wheelchairs, especially heavy chairs. Many locals will offer to lift your chair into their vehicles but I would advise against that! Plus using the local footpaths and roads to see the port towns is probably an uncomfortable experience (as we found in Vila and Luganville) and not worth the trouble.

Is there anyway that you can change your cruise to a cruise with less tender boat options?

Your travel agent really should have advised you better and considered your mobility options prior to booking.

These islands are loverly and if you need to stay on the ship you will have a good view but it's still not the same.

Is there anyway that you can change your cruise to a cruise with less tender boat options?

Your travel agent really should have advised you better and considered your mobility options prior to booking.

These islands are loverly and if you need to stay on the ship you will have a good view but it's still not the same.

You suggestion of looking at another cruise is a good idea. If there is a fee to change cruises, I believe that the TA should pay it because it was their incorrect information about tenders that led to Maxi Maia booking the cruise.:)

Hi Maxi Mia,

we were faced with a similar predicament as my son has cerebal palsy and is in a wheelchair. As other poster have said , the only port you will be able to disemabark is noumea, but then I'm not sure if you will be able to get onto the shuttle. My son can transfer, and we took a manual chair, which helped immensly. I would definetly go back to your travel agent, as I think you have been dealt a raw deal with this cruise. There is plenty to do on the ships, but if you want to look around, tender islands are not do able.

I hope you get it sorted ou.

Maree