Upcharge for Ocean Blue Restaurant-Getaway

Seminole1975

I saw it in the fine print. I just don't agree with it. My opinion and I probably will not eat there. And there is a lot of fine print. I do my research. I basically just wanted to give everyone a "heads up" to not make dinner ressies until they read all the fine print. And like I said, people may already know this, but I did not. And if it is in the fine print, then it is not nickel and diming? OK. (I also thought I would be exempt from charges if I was in the Haven, my bad.)

Why would it be nickel and diming just because a restaurant is not included in the SDP? Some places are some places are not. Simple as that. Thanks for the heads up for those that might not have known this but I would not consider it nickel and diming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where are these great seafood restaurants in Alabama? I live in Huntsville and we don't even have a decent seafood restaurant, never mind a great one.

Our "go to" restaurant is the Fish Market in Birmingham downtown location. Been going there for years and have never had a bad meal. Great variety-all fresh-never frozen. The Shrimp basket-brings up fresh shrimp from the gulf twice a week. Also Oceans in downtown B'ham (a little fancier). Sea and Suds in Gulf Shores. +Have no idea about Huntsville.

Hi, I don't normally worry about eating in the specialty restaurants but I have a reservation for Ocean Blu Please as a special treat for my 50th birthday. Please could someone clarify if I am correct in assuming that I will pay $15pp + the cost of each dish ordered + 18% gratuities.

TIA Meg:cool:

Hi, I don't normally worry about eating in the specialty restaurants but I have a reservation for Ocean Blu Please as a special treat for my 50th birthday. Please could someone clarify if I am correct in assuming that I will pay $15pp + the cost of each dish ordered + 18% gratuities.

TIA Meg:cool:

No, you aren't correct.

If you use the SDP then you will use one credit up and pay $15 plus 18%

If you don't use the SDP then you will pay the a la carte prices on the menu, plus 18%

No, you aren't correct.

If you don't use the SDP then you will pay the a la carte prices on the menu, plus 18%

Thanks for your prompt response.

I am very much looking forward to dining in Ocean Blu.

Meg:cool:

No, you aren't correct.

Just to clarify-you will pay $15 per person if you use your SDP. That's what they were charging me on my NCL page. (For five people, they wanted $75).

Im intrigued as to why you thought this. As you have a suite, I assume you have the promo SDP, but that is all it is. There are no specific rules for the Haven that I know of that give better terms than anyone else gets when it comes to eating outside of the Haven dining room.

Or am I missing something?

As explained in post #9 and again in #26, we were not charged extra (except for the gratuities) to eat in Ocean Blue on my last cruise in June 2016. Not even when the bill came. We just had to pay for our son who works on the ship. When I went to make ressies for our upcoming cruise, I thought it was a new charge this year until I read the fine print. I did also ask people's thoughts about nickle and diming. I am fairly new to NCL and the Haven. (2nd NCL cruise coming up in September).

I appreciate those of you CC posters who have responded on this thread and others,who seem to have the genuine intention of passing along your knowledge and be helpful. (Well I have appreciated most posters ha!) I have learned a lot and will continue to learn as I prepare for the next cruise. Thanks. Diane

As explained in post #9 and again in #26, we were not charged extra (except for the gratuities) to eat in Ocean Blue on my last cruise in June 2016. Not even when the bill came. We just had to pay for our son who works on the ship. When I went to make ressies for our upcoming cruise, I thought it was a new charge this year until I read the fine print. I did also ask people's thoughts about nickle and diming. I am fairly new to NCL and the Haven. (2nd NCL cruise coming up in September).

I only asked because you stated that you weren't expecting to pay extra charges because you were in the Haven. That just seemed odd to me, and your other posts suggest that you actually didn't expect the charges because you hadn't been charged before.

It was a bit confusing, and I thought it worth clarifying for you that other than getting the SDP you don't, as far as I'm aware, have any other benefits in the speciality restaurants for being in a suite, other than maybe having better luck with getting reservations or maybe slightly better seating

Where are these great seafood restaurants in Alabama? I live in Huntsville and we don't even have a decent seafood restaurant, never mind a great one.

Our "go to" restaurant is the Fish Market in Birmingham downtown location. Been going there for years and have never had a bad meal. Great variety-all fresh-never frozen. The Shrimp basket-brings up fresh shrimp from the gulf twice a week. Also Oceans in downtown B'ham (a little fancier). Sea and Suds in Gulf Shores. +Have no idea about Huntsville.

I would add Chuck's Fish in Mobile, AL. Quite possibly the best seafood I've ever had. I'm still dreaming about their roasted kimchee brussel sprouts as well. Tiny place, and a little hard to find, but absolutely worth the trip to Mobile.

I ate there last year and it was very good we had stone crab among other things and still imho a value at $15 dollars pp also the menu was updated a while back from what it was in the beginning again imho an improvement as far as selection ... I sailed NCL 2014 the food was not very good the following year they updated the menu in MDR and it was a huge improvement

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We ate out at Ocean Blue on the Waterfront in March and it was simply one of the best meals we have ever had. Period. That rave review is coming from a pair of foodies including my DH who is director of dining services at a high end, luxury retirement community. The ocean setting, impeccable service, outstanding presentation and attention to detail, and perfectly cooked selections provided an evening that we will not soon forget and look forward to enjoying again next March.

My DH was, at first, put off by the additional change but after enjoying our meal decided the $15 upcharge was a value and definitely not nickle and diming. We look at it as way to manage a top end restaurant by providing a choice for those who want something special and different. Tip for those who will be dining at Ocean Blue in the future: The inside dining was nice, but unless the weather is not pleasant, absolutely recommend an outdoor table. Enjoy!

Yeah probably. I'm just clarifying as your post kind of suggested that you think I'm just being difficult. I can assure you my reason for being here is to help.

Just to let you know I always appreciate your posts. You are always so helpful. I usually just read what you write but wanted you to know.

OP, glad to hear you're going to spend time once again with your son and family. Assume he's still with the Jersey Boys on board? Have a great cruise no matter where you dine. We also enjoyed the Haven and have another Getaway coming up in Feb to look forward to

Thank you! He is actually in Million Dollar Quartet-plays Carl Perkins-lead guitar [emoji450] & stage captain. We will have a great cruise & we hope you do too!! Another cast will be on the ship in February.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, it is not. Restaurant prices and surcharges are all right there on the NCL dining guide for all to see. The information is also in the T/C's for the SDP promo. Nothing is hidden as long as you do your basic research.

Eat there if you choose, or not. Freestyle.

Really? I do not think the OP was saying the costs were hidden. His comment is a general perceptions of NCL, and of course others, desire to extract every last dollar. Perhaps "Freestyle" is more of a slogan than a Philosophy.

We were on the Getaway last fall and ate at Ocean Blue - it was ok but we expected more. Raw Bar situated right by it however was really good - and Cagney's was our favorite! If I were to sail on the Getaway again, I'd probably skip Ocean Blue. FYI: we did have the Dining Package and did know in advance about the upcharge - it was pretty clearly noted in the terms of the package.

Sent from my XT1575 using Forums mobile app

Ok, here is how it worked for me, at least for Bayamo on Escape, which has the same SDP+15$ surcharge condition.

We have 3SDP + platinum (which the system does not recognize platinum, but does recognize SDP).

Initially, when the restaurants appeared for booking, Bayamo showed a 17.70$ charge per guest (15$ + 2.70$ grat).

I made sure I booked Bayamo last, after I booked our 3SDP meals.

When I checked out, we were NOT charged a cover.

I booked Moderno first under SDP, then two a la carte, also under SDP. My fourth booking was Bayamo. Checked these restaurants out of my cart at the same time. Total: 0$.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Forums mobile app