Upcharge for Ocean Blue Restaurant-Getaway

Seminole1975

Ok, here is how it worked for me, at least for Bayamo on Escape, which has the same SDP+15$ surcharge condition.

We have 3SDP + platinum (which the system does not recognize platinum, but does recognize SDP).

Initially, when the restaurants appeared for booking, Bayamo showed a 17.70$ charge per guest (15$ + 2.70$ grat).

I made sure I booked Bayamo last, after I booked our 3SDP meals.

When I checked out, we were NOT charged a cover.

I booked Moderno first under SDP, then two a la carte, also under SDP. My fourth booking was Bayamo. Checked these restaurants out of my cart at the same time. Total: 0$.

Just to expand on this a bit, as people reading it may be a little confused. It's kind of on topic.

The above procedure is the way to do it. However, to be clear, it wouldn't avoid the $15 charge being paid at some point, unless they choose to not use the SDP at Bayamo and pay a la carte. What it does do is avoid having to pay it up front, which is obviously a benefit. It also means that you can use OBC to pay the $15, which may be useful.

Unfortunately, it is only possible if you are booking more meals than you have SDP credits for. So if, as in this example, you are platinum or if you are planning to pay for some meals outside the SDP then this is the way to book them.

The important thing to remember is that you actually inform them onboard as to which meals you want to use the SDP on. So, AlexandNessa can still use the SDP for Bayamo if they want.

Just to expand on this a bit, as people reading it may be a little confused. It's kind of on topic.

The above procedure is the way to do it. However, to be clear, it wouldn't avoid the $15 charge being paid at some point, unless they choose to not use the SDP at Bayamo and pay a la carte. What it does do is avoid having to pay it up front, which is obviously a benefit. It also means that you can use OBC to pay the $15, which may be useful.

Unfortunately, it is only possible if you are booking more meals than you have SDP credits for. So if, as in this example, you are platinum or if you are planning to pay for some meals outside the SDP then this is the way to book them.

The important thing to remember is that you actually inform them onboard as to which meals you want to use the SDP on. So, AlexandNessa can still use the SDP for Bayamo if they want.

Exactly, and just to expand on that further, we have 5 in our party, but Bayamo only offers even-numbered tables. So, I'd have been stuck paying an extra cover up front for a phantom person (we have 5; I had to book a table for 6). Since some in our party will use SDP and some will pay a la carte, I didn't want to deal with the accounting in advance that I'd have to sort out on the ship. Easier to just show for dinner and let them charge us all correctly there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Forums mobile app

Also, would this work to avoid up front charge?

Say OP has 3SDP. Make 3 reservations whether you intend to keep them or not. Then, OP makes the 4th reservation at OB to avoid paying cover in advance.

Then cancel other reservations she won't need.

Might be worth a shot.

I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Re your next post. Yes, this doesn't apply to the OP, but it is useful anyway for those people who want to just avoid paying in advance. There are plenty of reasons for that, as we have discussed in the last few posts.

It is moving a bit off topic though, I agree.

I've read the OB is the best meal ever and others say it is OK but not worth the up charge. It is a sea food venue and I get enough great sea food near home. But I am curious about what the item prices are. Does any one have a link to their menu?

I found this...

http://eatsleepcruise.com/2017/03/norwegian-getaway-restaurant-menus/

Sailed the Breakaway four weeks ago, and the upcharge was $17.50 pp. Love the stonecrab appetizer, but thought the lobster tail entree was tiny, dry, and far from the taste of a Maine lobster. My son asked for soup, and they said we have to charge you, three courses only. He said fine, but I don't eat dessert. Overall, the meal was not worth the upcharge, and we will pass on it in the future.

Sailed the Breakaway four weeks ago, and the upcharge was $17.50 pp.

Was is $17.50 or $17.70?

The $15 up charge plus 18% is $17.70 which is what people have been charged in the past and what the T&Cs say. It's also what someone else on this thread said the system tried to charge them this week. If you were charged $17.50 plus gratuity then it looks like you were overcharged.

Sailed the Breakaway four weeks ago, and the upcharge was $17.50 pp. Love the stonecrab appetizer, but thought the lobster tail entree was tiny, dry, and far from the taste of a Maine lobster. My son asked for soup, and they said we have to charge you, three courses only. He said fine, but I don't eat dessert. Overall, the meal was not worth the upcharge, and we will pass on it in the future.

Lobster on a cruise ship is never as good as at a sea food place near home.

Lobster on a cruise ship is never as good as at a sea food place near home.

Or in Maine! We have been there 3 times and eaten lobster every day. The lobster we had in OB was as Bella described above: a small and dry Florida lobster tail (with teriyaki veggies on the side which was a weird combination). There are cruises around New England if you love lobster.

Or in Maine! We have been there 3 times and eaten lobster every day. The lobster we had in OB was as Bella described above: a small and dry Florida lobster tail (with teriyaki veggies on the side which was a weird combination). There are cruises around New England if you love lobster.

We live 40 minutes south of Boston on the ocean. We have a local Lobster Pound where you can get the morning's catch cooked and on your table by afternoon. At $10 or less per pound you can have a 3.5 pound'er and pot of steamers every day of the week.

Overcooked lobster tails on a cruise just is not the same to me. On the other hand, if you live where lobster is not on the local menu, I can see where you would be impressed. ANY lobster beats crab and shrimp!;)

We tried so hard on the Getaway 16 night TA cruise - we bought around 7 or 8 lobster rolls each over the course of a few lunch times. The rolls were great - BUT OMG - the service - The WORST service on the entire ship- Brains (lack thereof) full of mince as we say - thick as two short planks - it just became too painful in the end to try and order so we gave up - We also approached the desk a number of times during our cruise to book for the evening - but again - were met with hostility and lack of interest - Friendly service and superb food in La Cucina, Le Bistro and Cagneys - Then - Ocean Blue - nil points - The funny thing was it never seemed busy and yet they never seemed interested in promoting the restaurant - The lunchtime counter service was beyond "Fawlty Towers!" I own a Scottish Tourist Board 5 star centre - my fifteen year old school work experience servers would put them to shame!

No nickle and dime. The terms and conditions are very specific, if you take the time to read them. No secrets. No, "I got to the front of the line and found out about a charge".

Specialty dining packages are honored in Cagney's Steakhouse, Moderno Churrascaria, Teppanyaki and Le Bistro and La Cuccina across the fleet. Guests who have purchased the package may also choose to dine in other select à la carte priced restaurants, entertainment-based restaurants, Ocean Blue restaurant, for the following per person upcharges:

• Ocean Blue - $15 USD
  • Cirque Dreams/Illusionarium - $10 USD regular seats/$15 USD premium seats
  • Sushi -$7 USD
  • Raw Bar - $7 USD (does not include Seafood Plateau. If ordered, the upcharge is to be waived)

Well...from what I hear, not personal experience, if any food on this list is not worth the up charge it is the Cirque Dreams dinner. You get what they give you...I believe you have 2 choices if that and it's not the greatest meal. I'd much prefer seeing this show without the dinner included.

Well...from what I hear, not personal experience, if any food on this list is not worth the up charge it is the Cirque Dreams dinner. You get what they give you...I believe you have 2 choices if that and it's not the greatest meal. I'd much prefer seeing this show without the dinner included.

What have you heard?

There is no choice at the Cirque show. It is a fixed menu, unless you have a food allergy or request a vegetarian meal.

What have you heard?

There is no choice at the Cirque show. It is a fixed menu, unless you have a food allergy or request a vegetarian meal.

I think that's what I heard, "fixed menu" but I wasn't sure if even with that you have 2 entree choices. But I guess not. That's not exactly a fine dining experience to me. I think you should be able to choose the show without the dinner. I am in no way a picky eater.....but I don't like someone else deciding what I am going to eat. I see no reason for this limitation.

I think that's what I heard, "fixed menu" but I wasn't sure if even with that you have 2 entree choices. But I guess not. That's not exactly a fine dining experience to me. I think you should be able to choose the show without the dinner. I am in no way a picky eater.....but I don't like someone else deciding what I am going to eat. I see no reason for this limitation.

Yes. You can choose to see the show without dinner. Just inform the waiter.

It costs the same. But you don't have to eat the fixed menu.

Breakaway Menu

98823bb711f3bf7aa2d9b889cf85aadc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes. You can choose to see the show without dinner. Just inform the waiter.

It costs the same. But you don't have to eat the fixed menu.

Breakaway Menu

98823bb711f3bf7aa2d9b889cf85aadc.jpg

Thank you for posting the menu. My original point was that it would be nice if "dinner" was an option. Another words....buy a ticket for the show and if you want dinner you can choose that as an extra cost option. I know I can just go and not have dinner...that's kind of obvious. But anyone who is not interested in that meal is still paying for it.

What have you heard?

Wow. I should have thought about that and ordered that in advance. I went on a Friday in lent and gave my steak away. Just ate the shrimp. I do not really care for shrimp. Had fun though. I figured if I was hungry afterwards I would go to the Epic Club.

Come to think of it we had to shuffle reservations on board because they had a new Priscilla cast and they switched nights around on us.

What is this "window service" you speak of? :cool::o:D

We loved Ocean Blue. Ate there twice on our last GA sailing and DH likes Getaway better than Escape just for that restaurant. Entire experience was elevated. Exceptional food and wait teams. We dinned in their waterfront seating and it was quite special. Also not to miss sea day ocean Blue windows service!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is this "window service" you speak of? :cool::o:D

The window service is the lunch offering which is available via a hatch on the waterfront.

Lobster rolls - are great - but the service = sooooooooo painful..

Good luck on that one! The staff are simply not interested - I'm sure it will change from cruise to cruise - but for sure on the 16 night TA cruise - it was the only bad service we experienced - and hey - we were tipping + buying three rolls at a time (between two of us) - and nope - talking to a lamppost.

"Lights were on nobody's home"...

Worst service on the Getaway throughout -

such a shame - great product - diabolical management of this very odd restaurant which SHOULD be a shining star...