Burial at Sea Question

I ran into a problem yesterday that I didn't expect. We are flying to our cruise this summer. DH's ashes are in a biodegradable salt urn (RCL requires that the container be biodegradable). I have made arrangements with RCL for a burial at sea during our cruise, per DH's wishes. The salt urn is HEAVY in addition to being large. It definitely wouldn't fit under the seat in front of me on the plane, or in the overhead compartment. By the time it's packed up safely, the box is going to be about 3 sq. feet.

I thought that I might be able to arrange to have the urn packed by a professional packing service and then shipped to the hotel for the night before the cruise. Our kids could then help me to carry it to the ship and through check-in. I was told, however, that since the urn contains human remains it can't be shipped by the shipping company.

I'm about to cancel my flight and plan on spending 4 days on the road driving. Our kids can't take more time off for various reasons (fitting this trip in-between clinical rotations at school, etc.) They would fly by themselves.

Has anyone transported an urn with ashes? Is driving my only option?

And if you did a burial at sea, were you able to keep the ashes in your cabin until they gave you notice of the burial time/place, or did you have to give the urn to the Pursar's Desk with the paperwork when boarding? I sent RCL an email asking this question, but they haven't answered yet.

Edited by Truluv

We participated in a burial at sea last November on Liberty. The urn was kept in a stateroom until the last sea day when the burial took place. In this case, there was no flying involved, however the urn we used sounds like it was smaller than yours. It was also biodegradable and looked like a paper mache turtle, less than a foot in diameter. It could have easily been stored in a carry on bag.

Can you find a smaller urn? We planned a burial at sea for my father on RCL and had a much smaller urn than you describe when my mom changed her mind. I attended someone else's and saw a biodegradable urn in the shape of a seashell that also could easily fit under an airline seat or in the overhead.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Would it be possible to have your DH's ashes put in a smaller container to carry on the plane with you and then transferred into the urn required by the cruise ship?

The other option is to do as someone else suggested and have the ashes shipped from a funeral home near you to one near the ship.

We have carried 2 urns with ashes through the airports in a carry on.

They fit under the seat, no problem. I would get something smaller for the airplane and get a bio one after arriving at your destination and transfer the ashes before getting on the ship, or drive

http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2004/09/07/tsa-partners-funeral-homes-safely-transport-cremated-remains

Edited by setsail

I'm so sorry for your loss. Would it be possible to have your DH's ashes put in a smaller container to carry on the plane with you and then transferred into the urn required by the cruise ship?

That's what I did with my mom. I had her ashes split up into a few small bags to go different places and took the bag with me on the flight.

when I worked on ships we routinely performed burials at sea for veterans

the containers of ashes were always less that one cubic foot . . . less than the size of a package of Quaker Oats . .

DSCN0993.jpg

p.s.

from: http://www.cremationassociation.org/?page=Transport

Shipping by U.S. Postal Service...

The simplest and most straightforward approach -- but only for transporting within the United States -- is to ship via U.S. Postal Service. You should ship by express mail, using the registered mail option with return receipt requested AND indicate the contents on the outside of the package.

USPS Bulletin 52, governing shipment of cremated remains, reads as follows:

452.2 Cremated Remains

Human ashes are permitted to be mailed provided they are packaged as required in 463b. The identity of the contents should be marked on the address side. Mailpieces must be sent registered mail with return receipt service.

453 Packaging and Marking

The following conditions apply:

b. Powders. Dry materials that could cause damage, discomfort, destruction, or soiling upon escape (i.e., leakage) must be packed in siftproof containers or other containers that are sealed in durable siftproof outer containers.

NOTE: UPS, FedEx and DHL do not handle the transport of cremated remains.

DH's dad was cremated in Montana and was shipped to us via the funeral home in NJ. They had to send it via post office if I remember right. Shippping companies aren't allowed to. It has to have special markings on the package indicating what's inside. Call your local funeral home, they should be able to tell you.

What a wonderful way to honor your dh.

when I worked on ships we routinely performed burials at sea for veterans

the containers of ashes were always less that one cubic foot . . . less than the size of a package of Quaker Oats . .

DSCN0993.jpg

This very similar to what we used. It was just slightly bigger. It fit in a carry on rolling bag. Besides that we were told by the airlines that we had to put my Father's ashes in this type of box to fly.

You have all been tremendously helpful. I have found a biodegradable container online that is much smaller and lighter, which says that it comes with TSA packaging. It's also helpful to know that we have the Post Office option too, although my preference is going to be to keep him with us on our flight(s).

I really appreciate your help to solve my problem. Thank you so much!

You have all been tremendously helpful. I have found a biodegradable container online that is much smaller and lighter, which says that it comes with TSA packaging. It's also helpful to know that we have the Post Office option too, although my preference is going to be to keep him with us on our flight(s).

If you take his ashes with you, be sure to bring a copy of the death certificate and the certification from the crematorium if you have it. You probably won't get questioned but I had them with me just in case since the remains will have to be x-rayed.

Edited by prayfordaylight

RCL's paperwork requires that the death certificate and the crematorium certificate be given to the Pursar's Desk upon boarding, so I'll have originals and copies with me if TSA or the airline need them too. (We also need to have a certificate confirming that the container is biodegradable for RCL.)

Truluv - sorry for your loss! Thanks, though, to you and the other posters because my kids know I am to be buried at sea. The information I've learned here is so important...I'm making a copy and including it with my will and burial instructions....

(Must tell you all - my son and daughter jokingly remind me that if I really want buried at sea, I'd better leave them enough of an inheritance to pay for their cruise fare!:D)

I ran into a problem yesterday that I didn't expect. We are flying to our cruise this summer. DH's ashes are in a biodegradable salt urn (RCL requires that the container be biodegradable). I have made arrangements with RCL for a burial at sea during our cruise, per DH's wishes. The salt urn is HEAVY in addition to being large. It definitely wouldn't fit under the seat in front of me on the plane, or in the overhead compartment. By the time it's packed up safely, the box is going to be about 3 sq. feet.

I thought that I might be able to arrange to have the urn packed by a professional packing service and then shipped to the hotel for the night before the cruise. Our kids could then help me to carry it to the ship and through check-in. I was told, however, that since the urn contains human remains it can't be shipped by the shipping company.

I'm about to cancel my flight and plan on spending 4 days on the road driving. Our kids can't take more time off for various reasons (fitting this trip in-between clinical rotations at school, etc.) They would fly by themselves.

Has anyone transported an urn with ashes? Is driving my only option?

And if you did a burial at sea, were you able to keep the ashes in your cabin until they gave you notice of the burial time/place, or did you have to give the urn to the Pursar's Desk with the paperwork when boarding? I sent RCL an email asking this question, but they haven't answered yet.

Sorry about your loss :(

Have you called FedEx? They will ship anything, even Biohazard samples like the plague.

Also, have you called the airline customer service number? Airlines frequently transport human remains. The customer service department should be able to help with that.

Glad you found a new option.

I'll third the post office if you do need to ship. We mailed my FIL's ashes to Norfolk per Navy instructions without any issues.

I was so pleased you found a solution. Having been through this myself a few years ago (I took my first husband's remains home to New Zealand) it can be very emotional. I remember when I put my carryon through the x-ray machine there must have been a rookie that had no clue what he was looking at. The senior officer quietly leaned over and said "ashes". I have to admit seeing the look on the rookie's face made me smile to myself. Take care and remember your DH with laughter as well as tears.

Here is another suggestion, transport the ashes in a smaller container, any container used for that purpose that is small enough to stow on the plane without issue, arrange to purchase the cruise line required urn at your destination then transfer the ashes to the cruise line required urn prior to boarding the ship. No need to drive. Sorry for your loss. Hope this was of some help to you.

I flew with my sisters ashes last November from Colorado to California. I learned the funeral home had to put the ashes in an approved container for flying, so that was done and I had the proper documentation. When I went through security at the airport I was advised to let them know the box contained ashes and one of the security people put a coin under the box, something about being able to see through the ashes I think they said.

They can't open the box to check the contents, so after the container went through the screener I was pulled aside and they ran a test on the container (swabbed it), probably to make sure it wasn't some kind of explosives. The security person that completed the testing explained the procedure and was very respectful.

I preferred to take the ashes on the plane with me, would have worried about sending them by mail.

• 4 months later...

I called Royal Caribbean today and they provided the following information

Burial at Sea Procedures as of 10/24/13:

1. Plan a cruise on Royal Caribbean phone 866-562-7625 or with your TA
  2. Call the emergency team to verify current procedure 1-800-256-6649
  3. Email ship at least three weeks prior to sailing = emergencyteam@rccl.com with request to distribute ashes at sea (a/k/a Burial at Sea), provide booking number, sail date, ship, your name, stateroom number, deceased name
  4. Cremation / Purchase biodegradable urn (see TSA Requirements below if flying)
  5. Once on board go to 'Guest Relations' (formerly know as Purser's Desk) to arrange a date and time. (check ship's deck plan online to find location of guest relations desk)

Final Cruise

TSA Requirements

Biodegradable Urns

Biodegradable Urns $39.95 Option

I know you have gotten the smaller urn so that is settled.

I just want to make a suggestion that my sister did with her DH. Keep some of his ashes to be mixed with yours when your time comes. It was wonderful when my sister also passed and we knew her ashes were mixed with her greatest love in her life. Very touching.

Just thought I would share for those that might not think of this.

Very sorry for your loss.

This was a thread from earlier this year that was just bumped. The OP has already sailed so the burial has most likely already happened.