Ripple Communicator

CaribCruiser54

Has anyone tried using "Ripple" to communicate onboard with travel companions? From what I've read, you download the app, set your phone to "airplane mode" and can text/call onboard contacts free,. We're interested in how well it works, especially on the larger ships with large groups (20 of us).

http://www.ripple-connect.com/

It did work, we downloaded it for our recent cruise of the med. (Just got off the ship three days ago). I will say we tested it but didn't actually use it as we ended up with the unlimited internet package and could have just iMessaged each other. There is another thread going on this but I haven't checked on it lately to see other peoples results.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Any who have used on Allure or any of the RCI ships?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Doesn't work! While it may have sort of worked for some people in the past.. (9 times out of 10 it didn't work)..it no longer does.

If you've purchased it already you can request a refund through the app store/iTunes.

We downloaded on 11 devices.. not happy! Requested refund already!

Edited by vacation_junkie

Has anyone tried using "Ripple" to communicate onboard with travel companions? From what I've read, you download the app, set your phone to "airplane mode" and can text/call onboard contacts free,. We're interested in how well it works, especially on the larger ships with large groups (20 of us).

http://www.ripple-connect.com/

Don't waste your money!

Success rate for people who were actually able to use the app without a wifi package .0001% ;). Most that were bragging about its success were actually connected through their paid wifi package. If you pay for wifi for all of your devices then you maybe able to use the app.

App creator has acknowledged that it absolutely does not work on any Carnival ship.

We downloaded on 11 devices ...was refunded through iTunes for all 11 devices as it doesn't work..

Edited by vacation_junkie

Here is the only review that I have found on it.

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/2014/08/17/ripple-cruise-communicator-review/

Marc

The only problem is that Gambee always purchases a paid Wifi package. If you connect through an actual paid wifi connection it should work as you are directly connected to the network.

Using it without a paid wifi package..that's a different story.

There is a particular network setting for the ships infrastructure that has to be set for these types of apps to work. The ship's WiFi must NOT have "wireless client isolation" enabled.

Basically a device can sit on the network without having an IP Address (every wireless device has a MAC address which is at the hardware level). These apps are creating a mesh network on the fly which uses the ships infrastructure to find other devices using the app without ever touching the ships established network.

What wireless isolation does is prevent devices without authorization from seeing each other (essentially). So with wireless client isolation turned on your wireless device will only ever see itself.

So it's going to vary from ship to ship based on the IT staff on that ship. And I suspect that as time goes on you'll find fewer and fewer ships that allow ad-hoc mesh networks.

Edited by tahqa

There is a particular network setting for the ships infrastructure that has to be set for these types of apps to work. The ship's WiFi must NOT have "wireless client isolation" enabled.

Basically a device can sit on the network without having an IP Address (every wireless device has a MAC address which is at the hardware level). These apps are creating a mesh network on the fly which uses the ships infrastructure to find other devices using the app without ever touching the ships established network.

What wireless isolation does is prevent devices without authorization from seeing each other (essentially). So with wireless client isolation turned on your wireless device will only ever see itself.

So it's going to vary from ship to ship based on the IT staff on that ship. And I suspect that as time goes on you'll find fewer and fewer ships that allow ad-hoc mesh networks.

Even with wireless isolation enabled, all devices on Royal's wireless network will have an IP address. They may not have internet access, but they will have an IP address. Otherwise they could not even display the login page.

The only problem is that Gambee always purchases a paid Wifi package. If you connect through an actual paid wifi connection it should work as you are directly connected to the network.

Using it without a paid wifi package..that's a different story.

Thanks, now I know I'm not even going to bother and will be unreachable for a week... AHH - Vacation!

PERFECT!!

Even with wireless isolation enabled, all devices on Royal's wireless network will have an IP address. They may not have internet access, but they will have an IP address. Otherwise they could not even display the login page.

While this is true, wireless isolation enabled will prevent the app from working.

At 99 cents a device, if it works it works and if it doesn't the world will still spin. We will try it on EN next week and see for ourselves. :)

That would be great, because we're on EN in a few weeks and it would be nice to know if it works before I waste any time on it.

Doesn't work! While it may have sort of worked for some people in the past.. (9 times out of 10 it didn't work)..it no longer does.

If you've purchased it already you can request a refund through the app store/iTunes.

We downloaded on 11 devices.. not happy! Requested refund already!

Curious as to when you tried it? We just got home on Sunday and it did work on Adventure

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app