Live from Splendour of the Seas - Dubai

Just got a reminder from RC about obtaining a multiple entry visa before boarding. Just to confirm that I will get this at the airport. Thank you. I am British and my family are Americans.

As a Brit on arrival at Dubai airport your passport will be stamped with a arrival visa on check in for Splendour, Royal will retain your passport and we did not get them back until Abu Dhabi all visa for Oman where dealt with by Royal you do not as a Brit to get visa in advance.

I have really enjoyed this thread as we are on this cruise at the end of the month. I have a question that one of you may be able to answer. Did any of you take your 2 bottle of wine per cabin allocation onboard with you & if so,did you encounter any problem?

Bought 2 bottles of Errázuriz at LHR for $15. No problems at all carrying them on, the only problem we had was finding time to drink them with all the free booze we had at the DL and events!;)

Just got a reminder from RC about obtaining a multiple entry visa before boarding. Just to confirm that I will get this at the airport. Thank you. I am British and my family are Americans
As a Brit there is no thing as a 'visa'......you just get your passport stamped on arrival. I struggle to see why RCI insist on sending out this email to Brits which does nothing apart from cause confusion..... Edited by little britain

We just packed our two bottles of wine in our cases and no problems. Just to add that as we were on an over night flight we were take to the meridian next to the airport at 9am and were fully checked in to save doing this at terminal. Nice breakfast, sitting in the sun and on board bY 11.30 am. This was a much nicer experience rather than having to queue up at the port. Any other questions just ask.

As a Brit on arrival at Dubai airport your passport will be stamped with a arrival visa on check in for Splendour, Royal will retain your passport and we did not get them back until Abu Dhabi all visa for Oman where dealt with by Royal you do not as a Brit to get visa in advance.

Thank you.

Bought 2 bottles of Errázuriz at LHR for $15. No problems at all carrying them on, the only problem we had was finding time to drink them with all the free booze we had at the DL and events!;)

That is exactly what we have found. Usually end up brining it home again, so not going to bother this time. Was concierge ok about taking last drink out of DL? The work around for that is easy but good to know for the first night :)

Just thought about medicine. Is there a problem taking an inhaler with no prescription label on it? What about paracetamol?

It is products with codeine in that are banned.

Have a great cruise and please come back and help keep this thread going with your comments afterwards!

Sent from my iPad mini 4 using Tapatalk

Can you please talk about how much currency is needed in AED. Where is the best place to convert?

I am really enjoying this thread. I will be taking this cruise in March.

TIA

How much to take depends on what you want to do, as for which currency to take most places will take AED, Dollars or Euro. Also where do you live in the UK or somewhere else, I used our local currency exchange in North London, it is best to google for the current rates and then shop around we found the currency exchange was better then all the supermarkets that now have exchanges and also the post office. Any more question please ask.

Hello,

I'm writing on half of my parents who are doing the cruise in March. I've a few questions hopefully you all might be able to help.

On RC website it says they do A La Carte meals in the Viking lounge, did you happen to see how much it cost, would you have to book to dine etc?.

Does anyone have any info on how to get to and see the F1 Curcuit in Abu Dhabi?

Who will be Diamond Concierge?

Regarding medication will you be checked to see what medication you have?. I see some people mention here that some is restricted?.

Does anyone recommend tours in Khasbi or Muscat?.

Many thanks & great review lots of helpful answers too. Dillie

Hello,

I'm writing on half of my parents who are doing the cruise in March. I've a few questions hopefully you all might be able to help.

On RC website it says they do A La Carte meals in the Viking lounge, did you happen to see how much it cost, would you have to book to dine etc?.

Does anyone have any info on how to get to and see the F1 Curcuit in Abu Dhabi?

Who will be Diamond Concierge?

Regarding medication will you be checked to see what medication you have?. I see some people mention here that some is restricted?.

Does anyone recommend tours in Khasbi or Muscat?.

Many thanks & great review lots of helpful answers too. Dillie

IZUMI is up in the Viking Crown lounge

Royal do Khasbi and surrounding area and Mystical Muscat we enjoy both, we don't normally do tours normally do our own thing. Mystical Muscat take to the Mosque.

Medication anything with codeine in you can not take.

Hope that helps.

Regarding medication, all prescribed medication is allowed as long as you only take enough for the length of the cruise, in its original packaging with the name of the patient on the label and a copy of the original prescription. You could also ask your doctor for a letter stating which medication you rely on.

I wrote to the embassy medical department and this is what came back from them.

Thank you for your replies. I have another question. In Muscat I've been looking up booking my parents a dolphin/coastal boat tour. Each website I've been on says they meet at marina near the fish market. Do you have any idea how to get there?. I'm guessing you need a shuttle bus to get to the port exit/entrance from the ship.. Many thanks dillie

Edited by dillie
Made a mistake

Thank you for your replies. I have another question. In Muscat I've been looking up booking my parents a dolphin/coastal boat tour. Each website I've been on says they meet at marina near the fish market. Do you have any idea how to get there?. I'm guessing you need a shuttle bus to get to the port exit/entrance from the ship.. Many thanks dillie

You may also want to ask that on the Ports of Call forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32

That is exactly what we have found. Usually end up brining it home again, so not going to bother this time. Was concierge ok about taking last drink out of DL? The work around for that is easy but good to know for the first night :)

Same here, we ended up bringing one bottle home again!

Concierge actually offered to top up on way out a couple of times. No problem at all if you wanted to take a drink out.

Edited by icsys

I think most of the independent tours are based at MARINA BANDAR AL ROWDHA. Maybe they will pick you up drop you off?

Its about five miles / eight km to that marina from the port gates. There are dozens of taxis waiting at the gates if needed.

However there is a fish market just two mins walk from the port gates. The area is under construction and fenced off. I didn't notice any tour operators in the area. You will walk past it when walking into Mutrah مطرح

Edited by icsys

Hi there, thanks for update. Sailing on Splendour on 7 March. Another member on here kindly posted all the Daily Compass sheets so I could find out which nights were formal. her cruise date was in December 2015 and the formal nights were on the Tuesday (Khasab) and the day at Sea - you say this is now incorrect and the other formal night is in Abu Dhabi on the Saturday? - can you confirm this has been changed? Also do they charge for the sauna/steam like on Allure and Oasis? Many thanks.

Today is sea day and we just got rid of our formal disguise. So yes formal is at Khasab day and the sea day between Muscat and Abu Dhabi. There are 2 restaurants up in Viking Crown, Izumi and Chops.

The Dolphin Cruise is best done in Khasab, either Royals tour or - we took the shuttle into town and negotiated the Dolphin tour for 25$ pp.

Codein, paracetamol or other medication and such is no question , we boarded and flew into DXB 3times within the last 3months. No problems to "import" your personal pharmacy needs. No doctors statements necessary or personal marked packages. Dubai is easy and tourist friendly, so is Oman.

Ah and yes, no sauna on board, only steamroom, free of charge

Edited by christi1805

How much to take depends on what you want to do, as for which currency to take most places will take AED, Dollars or Euro. Also where do you live in the UK or somewhere else, I used our local currency exchange in North London, it is best to google for the current rates and then shop around we found the currency exchange was better then all the supermarkets that now have exchanges and also the post office. Any more question please ask.

Barnet,

Thank you for your reply. I live in the U.S. I was trying to determine if it is common for local restaurants, taxis, shops etc. to take dollars or do I need to convert currency. Did you notice if ATMs were easily located. I have used them in other countries when I've needed local currency.

TIA

As the cruise is drawing to a close I thought I would put down some thoughts and observations for those taking this cruise in the following weeks; as there does not seem to be much information or feedback on this itinerary.

Firstly if you are on the RCI package with flights that arrive early in the morning, you are taken from the airport to Le Meridian hotel ( which is practically opposite the airport) to have breakfast and to complete checkin formalities. You luggage is taken straight to the ship so remember to pack your swimming stuff etc into your hand luggage. There is a full breakfast laid on, with pastries, fruit and even an omelette chef, so don't bother with the plane breakfast! We were at the hotel by 9am and on the ship by 11:20. Hotel also has free wifi.

The drinks prices on board include the tip. Some sample prices:

Diet Coke $3

Corona beer $6.50

Pint /20oz draft beer $7.50

Cocktail of the day and keep the glass $10

Baileys $9

Sauvignon blanc $9

Strawberry margarita $12

They offer a 3-meal deal (Chefs table, Chops and Izumi) for $120pp. However as I never saw any restaurant full I suspect you could have haggled a discounted price.

Dining room was open for lunch Brasserie 30 most days including port days.

They also had a poolside bbq on the sea day and a big pasta lunch on the Khasab day which was not advertised!!

The ship does not carry Omani currency.

Tip: I recommend loading xe.com onto your phone so you can quickly convert between the various currencies accepted in the souk. In Muscat they even were taking Euros.

Formal nights are Khasab and Abu Dhabi ( and not the sea day which is unusual ). Very high standard of dress with at least 65% of men in tuxedo!

Not able to see your balance on the cabin tv. Many trips to guest relations needed to ensure that my bill was kept in $$$ and not converted to £££ which was annoying.

First ship I have been on where the lift does not show the day of the week in the floor!

The ship is in excellent condition, the crew are very good, and food is to a good standard. They seem to be very relaxed, almost laid back. No hard sells of drinks packages and only a few announcements. It has a great atmosphere.

They offered the 10 drinks card for $70 on a few days.

We have not seen the Captain.

Khasab: not a lot here to be honest. A free shuttle bus takes you from the port to the fort and then on to the town. Totally underdeveloped and a taste of the real Oman. The little fort though is charming. $1.50pp entrance fee and they accept $$. For this you get a guide book, a map and a souvenir dvd!!!!.

Muscat: there was a horrid smell of gas from the refineries but this soon cleared. You have to take a little shuttle to the terminal, where you put your things through the X-ray and then you get back on the little bus that takes you to the port gates. Walking is not allowed inside the port.

It is a simple 10 minute stroll along the from to the souk. From the gate walk to your left, up to,the roundabout and then go loft along the sea front.

As we had been here before we wanted to see more of the interior so we had booked a private tour with Marktoursoman ..... And we had the same guide as 6 years ago. A long 8 hr day but great to see the forts and the spectacular mountain ranges.

That night we went out to dinner in Muscat, a little restaurant very close, It was just as the corniche started, big palm trees with lights, great food and free wifi!

Tip: do not buy a fridge magnet shaped like the dagger as they think you are bringing weapons onboard!

That night was White nights party which was a bit lame IMHO.

The top tier event was held in the aft decks as we sailed away from Muscat which was a stunning location. No speeches or any visible senior crew members there.

Sent from my iPad mini 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all your helpful info. Do you or anyone else who has recently done this itinerary i.e. in 2016, have copies of the Daily Compass. Another member kindly scanned hers from December, but it must have changed as the 2nd formal night is now on the Saturday and not after the day at sea. Bizarre that they changed this night from the December itinerary? Also I had an email from RCI stating that women MUST bring long gown to wear in Gradn Mosque, but this is conflicting advice, as have read they do provide Abayas at the Mosque at no charge with photo ID? Can someone confirm this?

Thanks in advance.