Live from Splendour of the Seas - Dubai

Thanks for this. We sail 15th Feb, so all info appreciated. Glad the food was good as I felt it was below par when I was on Splendour in November.

Our flight is not until mid afternoon, so hope they don't send us to the airport too early.

Imagine you were in the D+ Lounge, but do you know who the concierge is in the D lounge? Was it busy? In November they opened the back door and used a section of the large lounge.

The concierge in the DL was Eliana Garcia. Attentive service from Francis who made sure we never went without an empty glass (hic). Yes it was pretty crowded and they opened up the doors into a corner of the Top Hat Lounge.

Hi Little Britain

Thanks for the review, we were on the same cruise as you 6 yrs ago, our first Dubai cruise, and shared the Marks Tour in Muscat with you! He was a very good guide :) We will be on the Splendour at the beginning of April for her final cruise up to Venice so its good to hear that she is still in good condition.

Happy Cruising :)

Pam & Chris

Hi Little Britain

Thanks for the review, we were on the same cruise as you 6 yrs ago, our first Dubai cruise, and shared the Marks Tour in Muscat with you! He was a very good guide :) We will be on the Splendour at the beginning of April for her final cruise up to Venice so its good to hear that she is still in good condition.

Happy Cruising :)

Pam & Chris

How nice to hear from you again! Yes that city tour we did with Don was great so imagine my surprise when he was standing at the bottom of the steps waiting for us again! Hope you are both well!

Hi Little Britain!

Thanks for your great review. It is very helpfull. We will be on Splendour in March and it will be our first time in the Arabian Gulf. 40 days to go - can't wait :)

Edited by krümel

Hi,

Thanks for the review.

My wife and I are considering doing the same cruise sometime in the future but as I take that many tablets I rattle, I have tried to research if I would have a problem with some or any of them. Does anyone who reads this have any idea where I can find anything out.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete,

This link will give you more information about restricted medications. Always take the prescription with you, whatever the medication is.

http://www.uaeinteract.com/travel/drug.asp

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Steve

We are currently on the cruise that started on February 1st, totally agree with comments made by Little Britain, the ship us in good shape, the crew are fantastic and we are very pleased with the food in the windjammer. We are Diamond, through our Celebrity status, and believe the food is better than on our most recent Celebrity cruise.

The weather so far has been warm to hot and very sunny.

We are using our 24 hour internet today and Friday so if you have any questions ai will do my best to answer.

Finally, if you are thinking about Ho Ho buses, the Muscat one is vey expensive, 24 Rhial per adult but you can get combined tickets for Muscat, Abu Dhabi and Dubai if you are interested.

John

Hi Pete,

This link will give you more information about restricted medications. Always take the prescription with you, whatever the medication is.

http://www.uaeinteract.com/travel/drug.asp

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

That was so helpfull, I have been looking for that for ages. It seems as though I will have to have a trip to the doctors to discuss some different tablets that I take.

Thank you very much.

Pete

Hi sorry to be a pain but can you give me some ideas of what clothes to take as I keep reading that places say you have to dress conservative, but if it's warm? Can you wear t.shirts and shorts just on the knee ? And does a cardigan have to be worn at all times? Thanks

Hi thinking of doing the tour from the ship in Abu Dhabi but there are 2 of them ... City tour with grand mosque and a panoramic tour ?? Does anyone know what's good?? Thanks

Was going to do the yellow boats, but not so sure now ?

Hi sorry to be a pain but can you give me some ideas of what clothes to take as I keep reading that places say you have to dress conservative, but if it's warm? Can you wear t.shirts and shorts just on the knee ? And does a cardigan have to be worn at all times? Thanks

Catch cab to mosque for 50AED (approx. $13 ) and then take the FREE tour at 11am. Beats the $55pp that RCI want to charge :eek:

You only need to cover up in the mosque but I'd dress respectfully at other times, not too much bosom on show. It is their country after all...;)

We are currently on the cruise that started on February 1st, totally agree with comments made by Little Britain, the ship us in good shape, the crew are fantastic and we are very pleased with the food in the windjammer. We are Diamond, through our Celebrity status, and believe the food is better than on our most recent Celebrity cruise.

The weather so far has been warm to hot and very sunny.

We are using our 24 hour internet today and Friday so if you have any questions ai will do my best to answer.

John

Hi John,

Hope that the weather stays warm to hot for next week!

What did you find to do in Muscat? We are considering the 4x4 adventure but the price is a bit steep. Where does the free shuttle bus laid on by RCI take you? I see the port is at Muttrah which is eight miles outside of Muscat.

Do you know if the 10 drinks punch card is being offered?

I believe they were offered last week according to Little Britain for $70.

Hoping they will be offered next week.

We're thinking of a Celebrity cruise for a change. RCI itineraries are becoming a bit repetitive. How do you find the RCI bar prices compared to Celebrity?

With reference to the dress code at the Grand Mosque in Adu Dhabi it can be very strict as we got off our coach we notice a couple having to change socks, the reason the lady had ¾ length cut off’s on she was having to put on her husband’s/ partners socks then the security officer checked the no skin apart from her hand was visible. As we walked up he told my wife that the shirt she was wearing was see through and he could see the skin on her arms through the shirt. Our tour guide told us the what some security officer consider to be OK one day may not be the next it is somewhat of a lottery, what seemed strange as well is that nearly all the security that we saw where dress in western style clothing when I asked our tour guide she said the most where not from the UAE but from Pakistan or India. The one thing that was standard once you entered the mosque from all security was that ladies heads must be fully covered at all time we saw or witnessed a number of ladies being told to do so. A word of warning to anyone with young children going to the mosque we saw a gentleman pick up his young daughter and start to carry her around he was told very quickly by security that this was not acceptable and to put her down.

Internet my wife and I are both C&A members and both have 24 hours internet access for anyone else that has the same if you wait until the Thursday and them log on you can combine the two and get 4 days unlimited access for one device.

Hi John,

Hope that the weather stays warm to hot for next week!

What did you find to do in Muscat? We are considering the 4x4 adventure but the price is a bit steep. Where does the free shuttle bus laid on by RCI take you? I see the port is at Muttrah which is eight miles outside of Muscat.

Do you know if the 10 drinks punch card is being offered?

I believe they were offered last week according to Little Britain for $70.

Hoping they will be offered next week.

We're thinking of a Celebrity cruise for a change. RCI itineraries are becoming a bit repetitive. How do you find the RCI bar prices compared to Celebrity?

Hi,

Weather still good, we did the Mystical Muscat tour and enjoyed it, I think that generally Muscat is expensive and hence the prices.

The shuttle takes you to the port gate and from there you can walk into the harbour area, around 15 minutes or take a taxi, expensive we were told.

The drinks card is available today, sea day, and priced as above

On all our most recent cruises with Celebrity we have had the basic drinks package, this covers wine, fresh juice, bottled water, cans of Coke, beer etc and is much better than the RCI one, despite having a basic wine and beer package we also ended up buying the 12 bottles of water for $ 47.70

Hope this helps