D Day Dilemma??

ngineered4u

Hey fellow cruisers. I am wondering if anyone out there can help with information about rental cars in Le Harve? My friends and I are booked on a 15 day Brilliance of the Seas cruise from Harwich to Boston leaving on August 31/2013. The first stop is Le Harve on Sept 1/2013. I am probably not going into Paris as the time is too limited and I have been there before. We thought we would rent a car and go to Honfleur and the Normandy coast and the D Day beaches and cemeteries.

The only problem is that Brilliance arrives on a Sunday and it seems all the car rental agencies are closed on Sundays? I am not sure why that is when a ship is in port, but I have not been able to find any rental agencies open on Sundays! I would rather not have to pay the high prices for a cruiseline excursion or a private car to get around. If anyone knows if there are rental agencies open on Sunday it would be a great help for me to book a vehicle in advance. I did see one posting on here from a few years ago saying that rental agencies were open when I ship was in port, but I would rather something a bit more recent.

Thanks in advance.

Ngineered4u

Honfleur is a charming port and DH took a ship's sponsored tour of D Day beaches while I enjoyed Honfleur.

It was a very long, full day for him and I clearly recall standing on our veranda and watching busload after busload leaving from the ship for all the tours that day.

Almost no one ventured off for those long rides on their own. Everyone who wanted to tour the beaches etc did ship's tours and I highly recommend you think about doing the same.

The excursion office on the ship was well aware the distances and time required, they had spare buses lined up waiting to go if any of the necessary buses had mechanical problems. They didn't want any time wasted waiting for replacement bus to arrive.

That should be a clue as to the distance and time required. IMO

Here is the link Cruiser Bruce mentioned.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=40149067

Like Sail, I think you would get a lot more out of a tour than renting a car. The tour guides can tell you all sorts of information and make sure you get to all the sights in a timely manner. I did a 50th anniversary D-Day coach tour and it really helped to have a knowledgeable guide. It was an experience never to be forgotten.

Hi & welcome to Cruise Critic,

Sorry, S7S & Scrapnana, but I'm going to disagree about the distance & the need for a guide.

And one thing about ships' tours which the OP (from Toronto) needs to be aware - they do concentrate exclusively or almost-exclusively on the US sights. So the OP needs to check the itinerary of ship's excursion

The main Canuk sight is Juno beach and Canadian Centre at Courseulles-sur-mer, about 70 miles / 80 minutes from Le Havre. Most is by fast divided highway & navigation is easy. There's plenty of info at the Centre and at all D-Day sights, and knowledgeable folk to answer questions. Though reading-up in advance, and a good guide book to take with you, would be well worth the effort.

From Juno it's a further 9 miles to Arromanches & its Mulberry harbour remains, and a further 11 to Omaha & the impressive American Cemetery.

None of which answers the question about rentals on a sunday. This question has arisen a number of times on CC. Sorry, I don't recall whether there have been positive answers.

Perhaps you could check through the RollCall of CC members who are on your cruise, here's the link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1622249

It's very active, there are over 100 pages of contributions from folk on your cruise. I've not ploughed through them (some is idle chit-chat) but you may find someone has already found a source for rental cars on that sunday, or someone who is looking for sharers for a rental car or private tour. And you can introduce yourself to your fellow-cruisers, & mebbe repeat your question there. Plus there'll be plenty more info on there specific to your cruise.

JB :)

You may also be able to get help on Trip Advisor.

If you have to take a tour, check into joining others for a small private tour. For sure you will want to go to Juno Beach and Courseulles-sur-Mer.

And one thing about ships' tours which the OP (from Toronto) needs to be aware - they do concentrate exclusively or almost-exclusively on the US sights.

The OP can easily set up a private tour. If you google "guided tours of D-Day beaches" you will find private tour companies that will customize your tour. So for example, if the OP wants to see Juno beach, the Juno Beach Centre, the Canada House and the cemetery at Beny-sur-mer that is exactly what they will see.

Hello fellow cruisers. Thanks for the warm welcome!! I appreciate all your input into my questions. I do understand many of you like to do the ship excursions for different reasons ranging from convenience to time constraints.

I honestly find it crazy to have to pay $189pp for a 10 hr tour! Thats almost $800 for me and my travel companions. I have been on enough cruises to say that most shore excursions are WAY overpriced. I have taken excursions in the past and enjoyed them, but other times I found that there was too little time in one place or too much time in another.

Honestly, i have rented cars/scooters on some of my previous cruises and have to say those are some of my best memories. I don't mind driving and seeing places that the ship excursions don't go to, especially when its far from the crowds when more than one ship is in port. I don't always need a guide and I do want to see the American Cemetery but I also want to see Juno and the Mullberry harbour,Bayeux, Mont Saint Michel...etc.

I think its basically to each his own and what makes each of us fellow cruisers happy. I know we all love cruising and want the best value for our money and wonderful experiences! I do really appreciate your replies.

***UPDATE***

I had sent out numerous emails to most of the car rental agencies and pretty much got the same answers from all of them. CLOSED SUNDAYS, but I did hear back from one of them telling me that they would be open on Sunday Sept 1 and that I could rent a 4 passenger car for 90 Euros a day up to 190 Euros for a 9 passenger van. Taxes and insurance included. The best part is that they are right at the welcome cruise centre in Le Harve! I can get the vehicle at 8 am and will return it at 8pm. I am sure 12 hrs will be enough to see Normandy and a few other spots?

For anyone interested here is the car rental info. All you have to do is send an email and they will reply.

le_havre@rentacar.fr

This is the reply I received from them:

Thank you for your interest about our agency.

We have a desk on the pier at the welcome cruise centre.

You can pick up the car between 8 and 9 o'clock in the morning and return the car in the afternoon

You have the choice between five categorie of car :

Cat A ( four seats and unleaded gas ) : 90 euros a day

Cat B ( five seats and diesel gas ) : 105 euros a day

Cat C ( spacious car , five seats and diesel gas ) : 120 euros a day

Cat D ( a car with 5 or 7 seats spacious car diesel gas ) : 180 euros a day

Cat M ( van with 9 seats diesel gas ) : 190 euros a day

If you are interested by this proposition please send me an e-mail to

confirm the rental with your adress, date of rental and categorie of car

you have chosen, your number of driver licence and the date of issue.Your date and place of birth.

We will need you driver licence, passport and credit card (for deposit

and paiement) when you will pick up the car.

I followed John Bull's recommendations last November when I was in LeHavre. I wanted a Canadian perspective as well. Here's an excerpt from an old post.

Europcar opened 2 hours on the Sunday that the cruise ship arrived but we had to drop the car off at a local hotel.

Drive the speed limit and have small euro bills/change for the tolls!

I just got back from the TA with a stop in LeHavre. I rented a car from Europcar and drove 1.5 hrs to Bayeaux amd spent 1.5 hrs at the Tapestry and town area. We then drove .5 hrs to Juno Beach Center and spent 2 hrs there. On the 1.5 hrs drive back we spent .5 hrs at the Canadian cemetery and another .5 hrs at Pegasus bridge. An 8+ hour day at a reasonable price.:) I think the tolls totalled 9 euros each way. A very easy drive with a gps.

Beware the speed cameras as I had a speeding ticket waiting for me at home. (There's a couple of zones that drops from 100k to 70k) I got nailed for doing 77k in a 70k zone aprox $55us fine, My wife saw the flash!

. I don't always need a guide and I do want to see the American Cemetery but I also want to see Juno and the Mullberry harbour,Bayeux, Mont Saint Michel...etc.

.............. but I did hear back from one of them telling me that they would be open on Sunday Sept 1 and that I could rent a 4 passenger car for 90 Euros a day up to 190 Euros for a 9 passenger van. Taxes and insurance included. The best part is that they are right at the welcome cruise centre in Le Harve! I can get the vehicle at 8 am and will return it at 8pm. I am sure 12 hrs will be enough to see Normandy and a few other spots?

For anyone interested here is the car rental info. All you have to do is send an email and they will reply.

le_havre@rentacar.fr

This is the reply I received from them:

Thank you for your interest about our agency.

We have a desk on the pier at the welcome cruise centre.

You can pick up the car between 8 and 9 o'clock in the morning and return the car in the afternoon............

Well found!!!! :)

Yes, you can comfortably fit in Juno (Courseulles-sur-mer), then along the coast to Arromanches (Mulberry harbour), further along the coast to the American cemetery/Omaha (Colleville-sur-mer), then back inland to Bayeux (cathedral & tapestry, but no D-Day sights).

Possibly also Pegasus Bridge/museum (between Caen & Ouistreham), or Pointe du Hoc (8 miles further along the coast from the American Cemetery), but probably not both.

But strike Mont St Michel, which is over 2 hours beyond the D-Day beaches (beware googlemaps directing you to a gite of the same name near the beaches :rolleyes:).

Avoid Caen centre, there's little of interest & the town can get clogged.

And don't bother with the Caen Peace Museum, which is a huge place that covers conflicts worldwide and has little relevance to D-Day - you'll not have time to incorporate it into a one-day visit.

Total distance around 170 miles, total driving time around 3.5 hours (but see below).

On a summer sunday afternoon/evening, the main A13 road from Bayeux/Caen can be very slow in places, as Parisians return home from the coast. Likely to be even worse that weekend because it's the end of the school summer holidays. So you need to give yourselves at least an extra hour for the return journey. The alternate route, along the coast through Cabourg & Deauville, is much more attractive but also takes an hour longer than the main road, so won't resolve that issue.

Any unused wiggle-time can be spent at the pretty town/fishing port of Honfleur, about 30 minutes from your ship. It's on that coastal road, or only a couple of miles off the main route to Le Havre.

BTW, when North Americans mention "Normandy" they mean "D-Day".

But Normandy is a large department of France.

So you won't be visiting Normandy from Le Havre - you'll already be there. ;)

If you have access to Googlemaps I can link a suggested route.

ps take a camera. It's so much cheaper than relying on roadside cameras, as Lamchops did :p:D

Well found!!!! :)

Yes, you can comfortably fit in Juno (Courseulles-sur-mer), then along the coast to Arromanches (Mulberry harbour), further along the coast to the American cemetery/Omaha (Colleville-sur-mer), then back inland to Bayeux (cathedral & tapestry, but no D-Day sights).

Possibly also Pegasus Bridge/museum (between Caen & Ouistreham), or Pointe du Hoc (8 miles further along the coast from the American Cemetery), but probably not both.

But strike Mont St Michel, which is over 2 hours beyond the D-Day beaches (beware googlemaps directing you to a gite of the same name near the beaches :rolleyes:).

Avoid Caen centre, there's little of interest & the town can get clogged.

And don't bother with the Caen Peace Museum, which is a huge place that covers conflicts worldwide and has little relevance to D-Day - you'll not have time to incorporate it into a one-day visit.

Total distance around 170 miles, total driving time around 3.5 hours (but see below).

On a summer sunday afternoon/evening, the main A13 road from Bayeux/Caen can be very slow in places, as Parisians return home from the coast. Likely to be even worse that weekend because it's the end of the school summer holidays. So you need to give yourselves at least an extra hour for the return journey. The alternate route, along the coast through Cabourg & Deauville, is much more attractive but also takes an hour longer than the main road, so won't resolve that issue.

Any unused wiggle-time can be spent at the pretty town/fishing port of Honfleur, about 30 minutes from your ship. It's on that coastal road, or only a couple of miles off the main route to Le Havre.

BTW, when North Americans mention "Normandy" they mean "D-Day".

But Normandy is a large department of France.

So you won't be visiting Normandy from Le Havre - you'll already be there. ;)

If you have access to Googlemaps I can link a suggested route.

ps take a camera. It's so much cheaper than relying on roadside cameras, as Lamchops did :p:D

John, you are w wealth of information. I appreciate it very much. Thank you. I do understand what you mean about being in Normandy and the D Day beaches. I am w WWII nut and know quite a bit about the history of the area and the invasion. I just have always wanted to stand on the soil and see the places where so many, Canadian, British, Commonwealth, French, American and more gave their lives so I could enjoy the freedoms I have today. I want to pay my respects.

I followed John Bull's recommendations last November when I was in LeHavre. I wanted a Canadian perspective as well. Here's an excerpt from an old post.

Europcar opened 2 hours on the Sunday that the cruise ship arrived but we had to drop the car off at a local hotel.

Drive the speed limit and have small euro bills/change for the tolls!

I just got back from the TA with a stop in LeHavre. I rented a car from Europcar and drove 1.5 hrs to Bayeaux amd spent 1.5 hrs at the Tapestry and town area. We then drove .5 hrs to Juno Beach Center and spent 2 hrs there. On the 1.5 hrs drive back we spent .5 hrs at the Canadian cemetery and another .5 hrs at Pegasus bridge. An 8+ hour day at a reasonable price.:) I think the tolls totalled 9 euros each way. A very easy drive with a gps.

Beware the speed cameras as I had a speeding ticket waiting for me at home. (There's a couple of zones that drops from 100k to 70k) I got nailed for doing 77k in a 70k zone aprox $55us fine, My wife saw the flash!

Thanks Lamchop, its great info you gave and so glad you and your wife had a good driving tour. Opps minus the photo radar ticket:mad: Thanks for the tool info too!

ngineered4u,

Glad you found what you wanted. Touring the Normandy area is a very moving experience and a time for reflection.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you Scrapnana. I agree about the Normandy area. It will be a lot to take in and I am so looking forward to it!

• 1 month later...
John, you are w wealth of information. I appreciate it very much. Thank you. I do understand what you mean about being in Normandy and the D Day beaches. I am w WWII nut and know quite a bit about the history of the area and the invasion. I just have always wanted to stand on the soil and see the places where so many, Canadian, British, Commonwealth, French, American and more gave their lives so I could enjoy the freedoms I have today. I want to pay my respects.

I caught your thread while researching car rentals in LeHavre. Fortunately for us we are there on two weekdays, Mon Oct28 and Wed Oct30 on two short B2B cruises on Independance of the Seas. Our intent is to rent a car for 3 days and leave it in the port on Tue Oct29 when Independance returns to Southampton and we return again on the second cruise on Wed morning. We are wondering if anyone knows a safe and secure parking area at or near the cruise terminal??

My other comment is that you have received excellent advise from John Bull. I have made 4 trips to Normandy in past years, all planned on my own and drove rental cars to visit the sites I wanted to see. While tours are very good for some, like you, I am a WWII history buff and wanted to see the 'less traveled' sites as well. Oddly enough, being American, but British by birth, I also have studied a lot of Canadian participation in Normandy and I would like to suggest a few other possibilities for your agenda.

If you have heard of the tragic murders of Canadian soldiers at the Abbaye d'Ardenne, that site has been restored and is just off the road to the west of Caen. This is a less visited site, but a must for Canadians. The small garden where the murders occurred is especially moving. Another site to consider is the German Cemetery at Le Cambe which is less than 20 minutes from the American Cemetery. The contrast in the two memorials to their dead is unforgettable. Here are a few photos taken back in 2007.

Feel free for any more information, especially about Canadian sites

Restored Abbaye d'Ardennes

9249007887_0276d780c3.jpg

Garden of the Victims

9196642694_b9f484b953.jpg

German War Cemetery

5493506149_57746bd59b.jpg

Since this thread has been resurrected we thought it wise to add some comments about the OPs problem....renting cars on Sunday. This is a major problem in both France and Italy where nobody or anything will often disrupt the common business practices. Bottom line is that many French and Italian rental car dealers are closed on Sundays and holidays...and the fact that a cruise ship, or several cruise ships happen to be in port on a Sunday has no impact on the business operation. It is the same for many stores. The way the French and Italians view it.....if they do not want to work on Sundays then they will not open. They could care less about losing lots of business. This is part of the reason why economic productivity suffers in these countries.

However, there is sometimes a solution. Cruisers can try to directly contact (via phone or e-mail) various rental car dealers to find out if they will deliver a rental car on a closed day. Sometimes it is possible to get a car...although they might charge an extra charge. But, it never hurts to ask.

Hank

• 3 weeks later...

I really appreciated all the information about car rentals in Le Havre. I went ahead and used the e-mail mentioned and received a similar reply. So good so far. However, after I sent back all of our information (i.e. driver's license info, etc.) and asked for them to confirm they received it, I have not heard back from them. I even sent another e-mail a week later in case the first got lost and I still haven't heard back. I'm ready to try another agency, but wonder if Le Havre Rentacar is in fact holding a reservation for us. Any suggestions?

I really appreciated all the information about car rentals in Le Havre. I went ahead and used the e-mail mentioned and received a similar reply. So good so far. However, after I sent back all of our information (i.e. driver's license info, etc.) and asked for them to confirm they received it, I have not heard back from them. I even sent another e-mail a week later in case the first got lost and I still haven't heard back. I'm ready to try another agency, but wonder if Le Havre Rentacar is in fact holding a reservation for us. Any suggestions?

No suggestions about dealing with these guys, but please keep posting updates. We have never rented from them because it always seemed to be difficult to get reservation confirmations. I did stop by their counter on our last visit, and noticed that (at that time) they did not offer any kind of CDW that would get collision deductibles down to zero (we normally do not care since our credit card gives us coverage).

The problem in Le Havre is that other then using this one agency, the other options mean taking a taxi to one of the major rental car offices (we have done this several times).

If we were in your position we might consider having a "Plan B" which would involve making a reservation with another rental car dealer as a backup. Most of the majors do not require deposits and have no penalties for cancelling at the last minute. With a backup, if Rent a Car did not have your car you could simply grab a taxi to your backup agency.

Hank

I see you are a davy traveler and asked for a confirmation number. I do find it strange that you did not get a reply from them after sending your information? I received my reply within a couple days including the conformation number. Is this the email you used? le_havre@rentacar.fr . Keep trying and put on your email Attention Julien or Sullivan as these were the 2 persons I dealt with. Let me know how you make out. I am not sure about other agencies as every other one I contacted said they were closed on Sundays. Good luck!

No suggestions about dealing with these guys, but please keep posting updates. We have never rented from them because it always seemed to be difficult to get reservation confirmations. I did stop by their counter on our last visit, and noticed that (at that time) they did not offer any kind of CDW that would get collision deductibles down to zero (we normally do not care since our credit card gives us coverage).

The problem in Le Havre is that other then using this one agency, the other options mean taking a taxi to one of the major rental car offices (we have done this several times).

If we were in your position we might consider having a "Plan B" which would involve making a reservation with another rental car dealer as a backup. Most of the majors do not require deposits and have no penalties for cancelling at the last minute. With a backup, if Rent a Car did not have your car you could simply grab a taxi to your backup agency.

Hank

I agree with what you say Hank, but the problem with that is when I called 3 of the other agencies in the area near Le Harve. i was told that none of their offices are open on Sundays. Hence my original frustration. I don't have a plan be, but I am told because the ship is in port that the rental agencies at the welcome centre would be open. I guess thats my plan B.

Phil

I agree with what you say Hank, but the problem with that is when I called 3 of the other agencies in the area near Le Harve. i was told that none of their offices are open on Sundays. Hence my original frustration. I don't have a plan be, but I am told because the ship is in port that the rental agencies at the welcome centre would be open. I guess thats my plan B.

Phil

The last time we were in LeHavre (last year) there was only one rental car agency with a desk in the terminal (its called Rent A Car) and they are usually not open on Sundays. We have never even found a phone or e-mail for this office although they do have an e-mail and phone at their other LeHavre office. Perhaps they will be open on your Sunday and perhaps they will not bother (this is France and they do not like to overwork). We think their web site is http://www.rentacar.fr/agences/70-le-havre#lbc ..although they do not indicate the port office. If this is the same company that has the office in the port you might be able to contact them directly and get more information.

We have had more then our share of frustration with dealing with Sunday issues (and also Mondays in Italy) and we now pay very careful attention to where a ship will be on Sunday and Monday before we even book a cruise. Since DW and I are very flexible and have no loyalty to a specific cruise line we choose the itinerary that works best for our independent travel plans. We really wish you the best of luck with your quest...and please keep us informed via more posts here on CC.

Hank

The last time we were in LeHavre (last year) there was only one rental car agency with a desk in the terminal (its called Rent A Car) and they are usually not open on Sundays. We have never even found a phone or e-mail for this office although they do have an e-mail and phone at their other LeHavre office. Perhaps they will be open on your Sunday and perhaps they will not bother (this is France and they do not like to overwork). We think their web site is http://www.rentacar.fr/agences/70-le-havre#lbc ..although they do not indicate the port office. If this is the same company that has the office in the port you might be able to contact them directly and get more information.

We have had more then our share of frustration with dealing with Sunday issues (and also Mondays in Italy) and we now pay very careful attention to where a ship will be on Sunday and Monday before we even book a cruise. Since DW and I are very flexible and have no loyalty to a specific cruise line we choose the itinerary that works best for our independent travel plans. We really wish you the best of luck with your quest...and please keep us informed via more posts here on CC.

Hank

Well hopefully my friend, we won't have any issues with the car rental. As I said I have a confirmation number and at least 2 people from the rental car company that have said they will be open on the Sunday we are in port. All I can do is go on that. Fingers crossed we have no problem.

You do make a valid point about checking the locations where ships will be on a Sun/Mon. I had never thought of that before but ail do so from now on.

Thanks

Phil

Well hopefully my friend, we won't have any issues with the car rental. As I said I have a confirmation number and at least 2 people from the rental car company that have said they will be open on the Sunday we are in port. All I can do is go on that. Fingers crossed we have no problem.

You do make a valid point about checking the locations where ships will be on a Sun/Mon. I had never thought of that before but ail do so from now on.

Thanks

Phil

We are sure hoping you do get that car on a Sunday. That agency being open on Sundays would be very good news for our future trips.

Hank

Archived