A few ideas Royal should steal from NCL

LMaxwell

Just completed first NCL cruise, on their oldest ship, the Sky, on a 4 day Bahamas run. Wanted to get a feel for NCL but realize this ship doesn't have all the bells and whistles or amenities or larger ships. In many ways this ship is comparable to Vision-Class or Majesty of the Seas. But there are a few things NCL does that as a long time Royal Caribbean guest I found appealing and some areas RCI should outright steal ideas from NCL:

1. Dining room open on embarkation day for lunch

2. Pool side BBQ's every day of the cruise

3. Sign up available at guest services if you wish to dine with captain/officers.

4. Late night food; way larger variety and choices than RCI including a buffet line until 2AM and a sports bar with about a dozen different items made to order (no charge) until 5AM. This is an area RCI trails the industry frankly and the difference is embarrassing. On the Majesty of the Seas, for example, if you are hungry after 9 you can get terrible pizza. And if you are hungry late at night too bad.

5. Pool towels are in the cabin when you embark. More are available for checkout if you desire at the pool deck, but nice to have them in your cabin to start with.

6. Hard ice cream scoops with multiple toppings at no charge. Maybe not Ben & Jerrys, but no charge wins.

7. Every port had tent set up near gangway with lounge chairs in the shade, iced tea, ice water, etc. This was a nice luxury touch and have never had that on any RCI cruise.

8. The Sky is always "resort casual". I saw no sloppy gym clothes in dining room, but many men and women in shorts and golf shirts. Just a preference here. On NCL's larger ships they designate one dining room as dressier. Don't understand why Royal can't do this especially now that they market their ships as floating amusement parks. These are not ocean liners.

That's not to say RCI doesn't have advantage in certain areas. I think RCI ships are "nicer" or "classier" and easier to get around. RCI buffet laid out way better than NCL's single file lines. Buffet foods about equivalent. But NCL main dining room was better than RCI MDR and this shocked me because I have read so many negatives of their food. No live Show Band on NCL, but had 14-16 singers/dancers and the shows were aimed at a younger audience than Royal. I'd call this a draw though as entertainment tastes vary so much. Overall found more similarities than differences. Thought there would be a much bigger gap between NCL and RCI; but the gap is very minimal in reality and would consider them competing for similar market space.

If you are looking to spice things up or have found RCI too repetitive, take advantage of the NCL promos for a great deal and go without trepidation. We are now booked for 3 in a Balcony on the new Escape in 2016 with free drink packages. Booking on Harmony/Allure/Oasis for the same week in a Balcony room, even with Diamond discount, would come up to almost $800 more than NCL and we would not have a drink package on RCI.

Royal; copy items 1 through 8 stat.

I'll be on Carnival 4 nighter in a few weeks after many years away from the brand. So then I will have tried the short Miami ships for all the major brands. Hopefully next year when Enchantment comes to Miami I will book that.

Great list. Although I can't say I've ever compared RCCL to any other line, many of those things are on my big bold underlined list of reasons why I am generally frustrated every single cruise with RCCL. Many of them are easy and much needed changes that should have been done 10 years ago.

Edited by Diplomacy

NCL is really nailing it with their promos/pricing.

Nov 29 on the NCL Star 7 nts Western itinerary out of Tampa for 2 people in a midship inside cabin 1321 total for both including the beverage package, all taxes and fees and 50 OBC. Also, 3/4 sail free on this sailing (taxes of 121/pp extra)

Sorry RCI - THIS is a WOW.

Balcony is coming in at 2101 total for both including the bev package, all taxes/fees and 100OBC. Again 3/4 sail free (taxes 121/pp extra)

I am booked for my second RCI cruise in April on the Independence of the Seas. But I am considering canceling it and booking on the NCL Escape. Though, this depends on how much we enjoy the Getaway. We set sail on her next Saturday, October 17th.

I booked the cruise in February in balcony guarantee for $799 per person. I also got the Ultimate beverage package for free with my booking.

Looking forward to Saturday!

We have cruised several times on NCL and always enjoyed our cruises. NCL is a different cruise experience. On NCL Dawn on several nights in the buffet, they serve fresh made crepes. They are soooo yummy. IMO the desserts are better on RC other than the crepes.

We have had live bands by the pool on several of our NCL cruises. The BBQ grill is a small area serving fresh made hamburgs every day during lunchtime. Also hard serve ice cream. We cruise other lines for fresh itineries, new entertainment and for the variety of a different type of cruise experience. We have not been disappointed.

The Sky was our first NCL cruise and got us hooked on NCL. We have sailed twice in a balcony cabin and twice in Haven on Brekaway and sailed the Sky in balcony and also in Owners Suite. I, too, enjoy the resort casual feel and dress on the ships and dont see sloppy either. I dress all the time for work and so does my dh so he enjoys wearing golf shorts and shirts to dinner.

We love RCCL too and sailing on Indy over NYE. I do like the fact that not all in cabin need to purchase the beverage package but thats not a reason for me to stay on only this line.

OP, Im also sailing CCL end of January on Breeze and sailes DCL in concierge last month but nothing on these lines compares to the Haven on NCL.

Like you said if you want to spice things up its always good to try something different. We sailed RCCL for years without venturing out and when we did the Sky, it really opened our eyes to try other lines. The Sky, although a smaller but very well kept ship, will always be my favorite small ship.

Thanks for the thread.

Edited by js

a

NCL is really nailing it with their promos/pricing.

Nov 29 on the NCL Star 7 nts Western itinerary out of Tampa for 2 people in a midship inside cabin 1321 total for both including the beverage package, all taxes and fees and 50 OBC. Also, 3/4 sail free on this sailing (taxes of 121/pp extra)

Sorry RCI - THIS is a WOW.

Balcony is coming in at 2101 total for both including the bev package, all taxes/fees and 100OBC. Again 3/4 sail free (taxes 121/pp extra)

Oasis or allure can't remember which ship was it, but an interior room 2 people was less than 970$ two days ago and I personally saw the price. I'm not defending royal but that's a WOW for me since I'm not interested in a drink package

To me, the main Dining Room being opened on embarkation day is the most important item you mentioned.

Our NCL cruises always start off well eating in the Dining Room. Whereas we are often disappointed with our first meal on RCCL (we are not Buffet people and Park Café and other available venues are often too crowded).

a

Oasis or allure can't remember which ship was it, but an interior room 2 people was less than 970$ two days ago and I personally saw the price. I'm not defending royal but that's a WOW for me since I'm not interested in a drink package

That's a fantastic price! Realize, I'm in no way an NCL cheerleader ;) My first cruise with them will be in March. There are other perks to choose from if you aren't a drinker on NCL, it's just the one the vast majority go for. When you pick a different perk (like the $50 shore excursion credit/port or the free wifi) you save a bit more....there's a surcharge for the beverage package - you have to pay the gratuity/service charge on the value of the package. I priced out with the bev package included all fees.

But, 970 for two on the Allure or Oasis with all in? That's a great deal!

Edited by sarahleebones

But, 970 for two on the Allure or Oasis with all in? That's a great deal!

It would but the cheapest fares I see are in the mid-600's per person before taxes/fees/insurance. There are, from time to time, very limited opportunity fire sales, but by and large I think it would be hard to get on Oasis or Allure no matter what room or combination of discounts for under $1400 with taxes and fees for two.

After being docked in port next to some NCL ships over the last few years and being able to look at their pool decks and see what is going on... It seems that their pool bands play a large variety of music (80s 90s some more current) - and they have sounded really good - rather than the same type of island bands that play the same type of music all the time.

Also like the idea of a topping bar for the ice cream, as well as more variety of late night foods for those that miss dinner for some reason or have an early dinner and would like a snack. For a while the Park Cafes had a good selection when they first started to get installed on the Vision Class but they have cut back what they offer at night.

Jared,

Nice review. We have not been on NCL in years but have the Getaway booked for next year.

You guys should also try Princess. Food is really good and great selection.

Yeah the Sky was overall a good time. If they ran an alternate itinerary I'd book again.

I'm only interested on being on ships with you and the elusive Trixie but i am sure we will all cruise one day again. My better half sends her regards.

I am about to book a Bon Voyage Experience with Princess, my 3rd. More and more of my family has been booking Princess the last few years and I always hear positive things. I get a little "ship fix" with those BVE's when I drop them at the port.

We are booked on Carnival for a quickie at the end of this year on the Victory.

So I guess my next kid will be named Skylar or Victor. :D

LMAXWELL: Thanks for your NCL review. Might have to try again in the future. Sailing single most times, feel like I have the perks I want on RCCL.

The larger NCL ships have studio rooms at attractive rates and have their own private lounge. NCL "free" beverage package is still a bargain even paying 18% gratuity. And keep eyes peeled sometimes they go to 0% single supplement on balconies and suites!

Thank you so much for posting your review. I've been on Majesty four times and debating on going again or trying Sky. I've read boards that Majesty is having plumbing issues so I was thinking of Enchantment. Can you give more detail on entertainment (shows, activities). I've been on Oasis and Freedom.

Just completed first NCL cruise, on their oldest ship, the Sky, on a 4 day Bahamas run. Wanted to get a feel for NCL but realize this ship doesn't have all the bells and whistles or amenities or larger ships. In many ways this ship is comparable to Vision-Class or Majesty of the Seas. But there are a few things NCL does that as a long time Royal Caribbean guest I found appealing and some areas RCI should outright steal ideas from NCL:

1. Dining room open on embarkation day for lunch

2. Pool side BBQ's every day of the cruise

3. Sign up available at guest services if you wish to dine with captain/officers.

4. Late night food; way larger variety and choices than RCI including a buffet line until 2AM and a sports bar with about a dozen different items made to order (no charge) until 5AM. This is an area RCI trails the industry frankly and the difference is embarrassing. On the Majesty of the Seas, for example, if you are hungry after 9 you can get terrible pizza. And if you are hungry late at night too bad.

5. Pool towels are in the cabin when you embark. More are available for checkout if you desire at the pool deck, but nice to have them in your cabin to start with.

6. Hard ice cream scoops with multiple toppings at no charge. Maybe not Ben & Jerrys, but no charge wins.

7. Every port had tent set up near gangway with lounge chairs in the shade, iced tea, ice water, etc. This was a nice luxury touch and have never had that on any RCI cruise.

8. The Sky is always "resort casual". I saw no sloppy gym clothes in dining room, but many men and women in shorts and golf shirts. Just a preference here. On NCL's larger ships they designate one dining room as dressier. Don't understand why Royal can't do this especially now that they market their ships as floating amusement parks. These are not ocean liners.

That's not to say RCI doesn't have advantage in certain areas. I think RCI ships are "nicer" or "classier" and easier to get around. RCI buffet laid out way better than NCL's single file lines. Buffet foods about equivalent. But NCL main dining room was better than RCI MDR and this shocked me because I have read so many negatives of their food. No live Show Band on NCL, but had 14-16 singers/dancers and the shows were aimed at a younger audience than Royal. I'd call this a draw though as entertainment tastes vary so much. Overall found more similarities than differences. Thought there would be a much bigger gap between NCL and RCI; but the gap is very minimal in reality and would consider them competing for similar market space.

If you are looking to spice things up or have found RCI too repetitive, take advantage of the NCL promos for a great deal and go without trepidation. We are now booked for 3 in a Balcony on the new Escape in 2016 with free drink packages. Booking on Harmony/Allure/Oasis for the same week in a Balcony room, even with Diamond discount, would come up to almost $800 more than NCL and we would not have a drink package on RCI.

Royal; copy items 1 through 8 stat.

I'll be on Carnival 4 nighter in a few weeks after many years away from the brand. So then I will have tried the short Miami ships for all the major brands. Hopefully next year when Enchantment comes to Miami I will book that.

We became Diamond on our last RCL cruise in December '14 but next one is on NCL Jade this December, cost was comparable between the two but NCL included a drink package so that clinched it:)

That's almost a $1,000 retail difference, assuming a 7-nighter!