Escape From Miami - Kinda, Sorta "Live From" - October 7-14, 2017

POA1

We have another opportunity to embrace Mexican heritage and tradition with our Drink of the Day: The Moscow Mule: Stolichnaya Vodka, Ginger Beer, and Lime Juice

I have no snide comments on today's Drink of the Day. I actually like these. (Despite the fact that Reader's Digest says that the copper mugs could be poisoning us.)

As part of our continuing mission to provide you, our reading public, with valuable educational material, the National Institute of Cheer is exhilarated to provide you with some essential Moscow Mule trivia.

1. The Moscow Mule was created to move some unwanted inventory.

The year was 1941. At the Sunset Strip's Cock ‘N’ Bull in Hollywood, Jack Morgan, owner of the bar found himself unable to sell the many cases of Smirnoff vodka he had purchased. He was also stuck with many bottles of house-made ginger beer. Ginger ale was fairly popular at the time, but ginger beer was not well known.

Wes Price, the bartender, came up with a cocktail combining the two. Mr. Price said he was just trying to clear out the basement. (These types of drinks weren't called "craft cocktails" yet, because the first hipsters hadn't yet crawled from the primordial ooze. The world was still half a century away from peak man bun.*)

2. By dumb luck, a Russian immigrant named Sophie Berezinski came into the Cock 'N' Bull at just the right time.

Berezinski came to California with 2,000 copper mugs she had designed in her father’s copper shop in Russia. Sophie couldn’t bear to see the solid copper mugs she had designed and manufactured with her father end up in a landfill. She began desperately seeking out a buyer, walking door to door in Hollywood in search of a restaurant or lounge owner interested in the mugs. She found willing buyers at the Cock ‘N’ Bull who wanted something to make their new drink stand out.

3. The Moscow Mule saved Smirnoff and helped to establish the company as a major player in the liquor business.

Before the Moscow Mule, Smirnoff was a tiny company owned by an almost penniless Russian ex-pat. The company was purchased in 1939 by John G Martin, president of G.F Heublein. Martin promoted the Moscow Mule to help increase Smirnoff's vodka sales. He also helped to popularize the Bloody Mary, screwdriver, bullshot (vodka and bouillon) and the ice pick (vodka and iced tea).

4. The Moscow Mule barely survived the Cold War.

As the U.S /U.S.S.R. standoff reached its peak intensity in the 1950s a rumor begin circulating that Smirnoff was Russian vodka. As a result some bartenders organized a boycott of the cocktail. However, Smirnoff was never a Russian-made vodka. It originated in Connecticut.

5. The drink was publicized fairly heavily and had both a song AND a dance.

The drink was promoted as the Smirnoff Mule and had 7-Up in place of the ginger beer. Ginger beer wasn't readily available at the time. The ad below is from the May 28, 1965 issue of Life Magazine. It appeared on page 109.

smirnoff-mule.jpg

It's interesting to note that there's no "Drink Responsibly" message. The small print on the advertisement reads,

THE SMIRNOFF MULE: SKITCH HENDERSON MADE IT A SONG. "KILLER JOE" MADE IT A DANCE.

NEW DRINK...SMIRNOFF MULE

It swings!

Here's the great new drink that's sweeping the country. It's the Smirnoff Mule, made with Smirnoff and 7-Up.®

Light, cool and completely delicious, it's the swingingest drink since Smirnoff invented vodka. Only Smirnoff filtered through 14,000 pounds of activated charcoal, blends so perfectly with 7-Up That's why the fuel for the Mule is Smirnoff. Nothing else will do. How to make the Smirnoff Mule: Jigger of Smirnoff over ice, add juice of 1/4 lime. Fill Mule mug or glass with 7-Up to your taste. Delicious! And - it leaves you breathless.®

(I love the line "...the fuel for the Mule is Smirnoff.")

And, to complete our history lesson, here is the song used to market the drink, "Smirnoff Mule" by Skitch Henderson. There's a vocal version, sung by Carmen McRae, but our crack research team could only find the instrumental version. Sample lyrics: "Stand stubborn, stop sudden, look cool. Turn it on, take it off, the Smirnoff Mule."

lufoOwsE3hc

I bet all this learning has whipped up a powerful thirst. So raise a Mule and toast to Wes Price. You may want to avoid the copper mugs of death though.

*- This might be a good time to address a reader question. Hugh Jass of Keisterville, Pennsylvania writes, "As a wanna-be hipster, I love craft cocktails! Wanting to look the part when I order a Roasted Cherry Bourbon Smash or a Charred Pineapple Mojito, I bought several flannel shirts and a boy band hat. Is there any way to up my hipster game. I'm kind of on a budget because these craft cocktails don't come cheap."

Excellent question, Hugh!

Experts say that a man bun and a tattoo sleeve will really help to round out your look and give off that oh-so-desirable hipster vibe. Lamentably, it can take a while to grow your hair out to bun length and a whole arm tattoo can be both expensive and painful. As luck would have it, there's a quick and cost-effective solution to your problem: Clip On Man Buns ($9.99) & Fake Tattoo Arm Sleeves ($6.59). For less than the cost of a Sage & Peppercorn Old Fashioned at your local speakeasy or a couple of jars of artisanal pickles at your local organic farmers' market, you'll be ready to rock the full-on hipster look (to Arcade Fire and The Black Keys, natch.)

Man Bun Clip On

41%2BDzX1fpvL._SX425_.jpg

Tattoo Sleeves

8130cZ1HcbL._SL600_.jpg

If the news of the "copper death mugs" is freaking you out, here's an article from the Huffington Post entitled:

Chemist Debunks That Nasty Rumor About Moscow Mule Mugs Being Poisonous

Chemist Debunks That Nasty Rumor About Moscow Mule Mugs Being Poisonous

Should I panic? I dunno. Fortunately the UBP doesn't include the souvenir mug, so I'll be drinking from a plastic cup.

What's that you say? Plastic cups might be bad for me because of BPA in the plastic?

No problem! I'll just make sure that NCL's drink cups are BPA free. Huh? There's a problem with BPA-free plastics, too?

Well... I can't have an actual glass, because we're near pools and there are people walking around barefoot. (Damn you, Freestyle dress code!)

Maybe I can lay my head back on the bar and have them mix the drink in my mouth?

I need to mention that I'm very proud of our research team. Despite some early nights the first few days of the cruise, we seem to have hot our stride. Every night, I joke that "I have a hard stop at 2:00 AM, because we have a big day ahead." Last night we finished "work" around 1:30. The previous night, DSIL and DBIL were working so hard that they aren't even sure what time they finished in the lab (Howl at the Moon.)

Today's next question comes to us from concerned reader Adam Sapple of Pee Pee Township, Ohio. Adam asks, "A lot of your so-called 'research' seems to involve alcohol. Aren't you concerned about hangovers?"

Excellent question, Adam!

First, let me assure you that our scientific inquiry is authentic. Our thirst for knowledge is genuine, as real as a bucket of beer or a double vodka and club soda with two lime slices.

crazy-russian-hacker-safty.jpg

In our line of work, we're acutely aware of the dangers of getting hung over. That's why safety is our number one priority. One of the first things we did was to purchase the 24 bottle water package for each of our rooms. This case of water looks very similar to the cases of water I purchased at Sam's Club as part of my annual hurricane prep. The main difference is that my hurricane water is Zephyrhills Pure Spring Water and the water I purchased from NCL is Aquafina, a purified water from PepsiCo. The other difference - an ever so slight one - is that the ship's water was $53.04, while the water from Sam's Club was $5.62. That seemed like a bit of a markup, and I certainly didn't want to accuse anyone of nickel and diming - because I know how well that goes over here.

Upon closer inspection of the bottles, I grasped the reason for the cost. This is not your everyday purified water that is, in essence, flavorless, non-carbonated Pepsi. It's distilled and purified unicorn tears!

aquafina-ncl-sm.jpg

Note: The image can be zoomed by clicking on it.

Staying properly hydrated is crucial when you embark on this kind of scientific exploration. In fact, one of our researchers, my brother-in-law, feels so strongly about maintaining suitable H2O levels that he primarily drinks Coors Light, the water of alcoholic beverages.

coors-light-is-water.jpg

============================

We have a related follow-up question from Constance Noring, from Mesick, Michigan. Constance inquires, "With the perpetual risk of waking up feeling like crap from your fact-finding missions, do you pack any special equipment to deal with katzenjammer?

Excellent question, Connie! -- and one that sent us scrambling for the dictionary. We weren't familiar with the term other than we knew that it was an old-timey comic strip. (Apparently, it's still in syndication by King Features. We had one of our interns look it up. Can't say we're not thorough - especially when it comes to random crap.)

Katzenjammer is defined as the discomfort and illness experienced as the aftereffects of excessive drinking.

/ˈkætsənˌdʒæmə/ n. 1849, "a hangover," American English colloquial, from German katzen, combining katze "cat" + jammer "distress, wailing." Hence, "any unpleasant reaction"

First, let me thank you for introducing a new term for hangover! In our line of work, you can't have too many. In addition to the water that we ordered, we also pack Alka Seltzer, Tums, Pepto Bismol, Advil (Ibuprofen), Aleve (Naproxen Sodium), and Excedrin. Some of our team members swear that taking a Bonine (Meclazine) before bed helps a lot. However, most of these medications specifically tell you to avoid alcohol, so you may not want to follow our lead. Although that does beg the question as to why you would even need these things if not for the booze?

Edited by POA1

Elevator tips in learned today.

1) If you have a big backpack, wear it in the elevator. Try to bang into as many people as possible.

2) If you are in the front of the elevator and people in the back need to get out, do NOT move for them. The front of the elevator is your domain. Yield to no one.

They stopped the chocolates last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We just got then in January on the Dawn. Perhaps like the ship pins, they delivered the chocolates until they ran out ..... [emoji30]

But thanks for the info!

I'll make sure to pass this along to AlexandNessa so she can get the contact details for you. Drop me an email and I'll send it to you when she gives it to me. Use poa1 - at - instituteofcheer.com
Found it. SpecialEventsEscape@ncl.com

I believe you need a minimum number of people, and they will warn you that there may be other private parties in the room. Give them a few days to respond. I got the impression they are the ones who request the private room from the ship, but they wait until your reservation is confirmed through the ship before responding to you. Have fun!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Forums mobile app

And now Tobacco Road.

Moscow Mule for Huskerchick (left) and Grass Clippings for me. 1800 Silver Tequila, Cointreau, Cucumber, Cilantro & Lime Juice. With a sprinkling of black volcanic sea salt. Very good.

bc169c41e16e655bf6a092f24e18d443.jpg627054ef15a6b0aacb374ace2adb4a87.jpg

Grass Clippings is my friend's drink from when he ran Cocktail Collections at the real Tobacco Road! (So miss the real Tobacco Road) If you ever want to try the real one (which blows the doors off the one on the ship) go to So Cal in Brickell.

Loving your trip report!!

Grass Clippings is my friend's drink from when he ran Cocktail Collections at the real Tobacco Road! (So miss the real Tobacco Road) If you ever want to try the real one (which blows the doors off the one on the ship) go to So Cal in Brickell.

Loving your trip report!!

Thanks for the tip!

The Department of Scanning Things (Mexico Branch) is really on the ball today! They've already got the Cozumel Freestyle Daily scanned, OCR'd and uploaded. Which is good, 'cause who knows how they'd do if they had to work after the Cozumel Bar Hop Tour. I mean, the scans are already a little crooked owing to the spacious work space. (I miss my scanning coffee table.)

http://www.evernote.com/l/AFjmIAucetVIUa3phrBWbL7z8CWZ0hq4KyI/

I just remembered that there's a second Pitbull cocktail on the Escape. There's the Mr. Worldwide which my beautiful wife had at the Mixx Bar the other night. There's also a Dale (pronounced DA - LAY, with the emphasis on the first syllable. It's on the drink list at the District Brew House. We've been focused on beers while we were there... Silly us!) I need it to to complete my Pitbull Bingo Card.

As you may or may not know, Pitbull is the godfather of the Escape, christening the ship in November of 2015. And, you probably have heard his song, "Freedom" from the NCL commercials - or incessantly if you've spent any time on hold with Norwegian. So, you'd expect a fair amount of his music to be played in the various venues on the ship.

How much?

Well...

Before the Norwegian's Night Out Party on Day 1, they handed us these bingo cards:

pitbull-bingo.jpg

You can click the graphic to enlarge - Because we care.

POA1 - I have no snide comments on today's Drink of the Day. I actually like these.

Glad to hear that you like the Mule, it is my absolute go to drink of choice!! But the key to a very good mule is the Ginger Beer - I have actually tried Cock N Bull Ginger Beer and its pretty good, FeverTree is also a great one.

Any idea which brand of Ginger beer is used? Was there a spiciness to the drink? Did you taste the bite of it? 30 days and counting until I can 'Escape' myself! Thanks for sharing your vacay with everyone!

I just remembered that there's a second Pitbull cocktail on the Escape. There's the Mr. Worldwide which my beautiful wife had at the Mixx Bar the other night. There's also a Dale (pronounced DA - LAY, with the emphasis on the first syllable. It's on the drink list at the District Brew House. We've been focused on beers while we were there... Silly us!) I need it to to complete my Pitbull Bingo Card.

As you may or may not know, Pitbull is the godfather of the Escape, christening the ship in November of 2015. And, you probably have heard his song, "Freedom" from the NCL commercials - or incessantly if you've spent any time on hold with Norwegian. So, you'd expect a fair amount of his music to be played in the various venues on the ship.

How much?

Well...

Before the Norwegian's Night Out Party on Day 1, they handed us these bingo cards:

pitbull-bingo.jpg

You can click the graphic to enlarge - Because we care.

Were the bingo cards free?

Another recent review of the escape that is a must read!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2503996

I love all the great live reviews that are being written now!! Classic!

Ahhh yes, the Ashley Madison leak, I accidentally stumbled upon that one when it was about 30 pages in. I have to admit, Rick is the one who initially sold me on NCL and the Escape for our wedding cruise!

Elevator tips in learned today.

1) If you have a big backpack, wear it in the elevator. Try to bang into as many people as possible.

2) If you are in the front of the elevator and people in the back need to get out, do NOT move for them. The front of the elevator is your domain. Yield to no one.

You forgot when waiting for elevator and it comes, immediately board without a care if people are trying to get off

We just got then in January on the Dawn. Perhaps like the ship pins, they delivered the chocolates until they ran out ..... [emoji30]

But thanks for the info!Found it. SpecialEventsEscape@ncl.com

I believe you need a minimum number of people, and they will warn you that there may be other private parties in the room. Give them a few days to respond. I got the impression they are the ones who request the private room from the ship, but they wait until your reservation is confirmed through the ship before responding to you. Have fun!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Forums mobile app

Thank you very much! I will have to reach out to them soon. I am pretty sure we will meet whatever their min is (or I hope so!) we already have about 30 people and counting...

Thanks again!

Jenn

Enjoying the review. :)

Question: Did anyone go to Wine Lovers the Musical? And if so what days was it offered?

Not from our party. I'll need to check the daily programs and get back to you.

A quick reader question from Helen Highwater of Punkeydoodles Corners, Ontario. Mrs. Highwater asks, "What did you think of 'For The Record: The Brat Pack?'"

Excellent question, Helen!

Overall, the show was good. If you like John Hughes movies or grew up in the 80s, you will probably know most of the music. Oddly enough, the show started with two 1970s songs from David Bowie: "Changes" from 1972, and "Young Americans" from 1974. There was a re-issue of "Changes" in 1984, so I suppose it gets a pass on a technicality The rest of the songs were from the 1980s.

The show strings together a bunch of unrelated movie songs and dialog into a show. If you are not familiar with the films you'll be lost. If you are familiar with them, you'll be like, Huh? The cast is fine, with the real standout being the woman who plays the "Basket Case" character, based on Ally Sheedy's character Allison Reynolds in the "Breakfast Club." Her voice is so strong that the other cast members pale in comparison.

We all agreed that show would have benefited from a shorter running time. It clocks in at just about an hour and a half.

You'll also want to pay attention to my earlier tip and sit at least several rows back from the secondary stage that is set up behind row six.