Escape From Miami - Kinda, Sorta "Live From" - October 7-14, 2017

POA1

Just wound up in the middle of a fusillade of shots of Fireball cinnamon whiskey. Apparently it's supposed to be strong. (At seventy proof, I laugh in its general direction.)

We're at Howl at the Moon, the dueling piano bar. (Those who know me know that these places are my absolute favorites.)

map-2017-10-11-costa-maya.jpg

We're scheduled to be in port in Costa Maya, Mexico today from 8:00 AM until 5:00 PM.

We have no concrete dinner plans tonight. Dinner will have to be a game time decision. We’re leaning toward Food Republic, but the dining room is a possibility. Pincho y Tapas is a dark horse candidate. O'Sheehan's is also in the running.

AlexandNessa made reservations for us at Maya Chan today. Even before we knew exactly where we being rerouted to, she began war-gaming our itinerary. Although our actual port schedule still wasn't finalized, she went all Vanilla Ice. (If there was a problem, Yo! she'll solve it.) Her reservation is for a party of 43, so our group should comprise more than half the people at the resort today.*

maya-chan-excursion.jpg

If you're interested in Maya Chan, their website is here:

http://costamayabeachresort.com/

I'll try to post more from the resort because they have free WiFi and I'm just the kind of dork that would appreciate it.

Here's a list of what's included:

•  
  • English Speaking Maya Chan Beach Representative at Port

• Round Trip Transportation To and From the Port of Costa Maya

• English Speaking Staff at the Resort

• Guaranteed Over-Sized Beach Chair for Each Guest

• Guaranteed Beach Bed at Each Location

• Private, Pre-Assigned Shaded Area for Each Party; Large Thatch-Roof Palapa or Open and Airy Pergola

• All-You-Can-Eat Mayan Inspired Buffet

• All Day Open Bar

• Free WiFi Service

• Cleanest Bathrooms In Town

• Lockers

• Changing Rooms

• Fresh Water Showers

• Use of Professional Snorkeling Equipment

• Use of Glass Bottom Kayaks

• Use of Floating Chairs

• Life Jackets - Kids and Adults

• Children’s Sand Toys (Children Not Included)

We should be able to post additional information while we're there since Maya Chan has free WiFi. If there's anything specific you'd like us to look for, please let us know.

*-When I initially shared this post with her, she gave me "notes" and suggested that her character be made more heroic.**So pretend the statement above reads:

Without regard to her own personal safety and using her Ninja-stealth excursion planning skills, AlexandNessa made reservations for us at Maya Chan today. She did this, her superhero cape flowing behind her, while riding atop a man-eating shark, with frickin' laser beams on its head.**Even before we knew exactly where we being rerouted to, she began war-gaming our itinerary.**Although our actual port schedule still wasn't finalized, she went all Vanilla Ice. (If there was a problem, Yo! she'll solve it. "Ice, Ice Baby Too Cold." )

**-If you thought that line was supposed to be, "Ice, Ice Baby To Go", you're not alone. In addition, once Ice realized that block was dead, he continued to A1A Beachfront Avenue, not Detroit Avenue. It really should have been A1A Collins Avenue, but who am I to argue with the Ice Man?

Edited by POA1

Good morning!

If you read the literature, you'll see that O'Sheehans is listed as being open 24/7. That's not exactly true. They do close for about a half hour at night. The closing time happened to line up exactly with the time DW and I decided to call it a night and grab a late night snack.

From a calories perspective, that's a good thing. From an alcohol absorption perspective, not so much.

When we left our party at Howl at the Moon, they were still going strong. Or careening towards a cliff. I'm expecting to see some badly wounded little soldiers at Maya Chan this morning.

Since I'm awake, I'll grab a shower and head up to the Garden Cafe for fruit, pastries, and anything else that could be used to perform a healing ritual for my lovely bride. I tried to intercept her Fireball shots last night. For the most part, I did okay, but one got through my defenses. I fear she may be a little banged up.

For reasons completely unbeknownst to me, I woke up at 5:15 AM. Other than the fact that I need to put in some eye drops, I feel pretty good. Maybe I'm developing an anti hangover super power? It might also help that I drank 2+ liters of water yesterday afternoon.

Anyway...

I'm going to grab a shower and get ready to start my busy day. See ya soon.

I'll see if I can get the price differential for you.
I want to say most of the other bourbons on board will run you $3-5 out of pocket with the package. I drank a lot of Bulleit as well but at night would switch to Booker's and Basil Hayden's for a glass or two.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I want to say most of the other bourbons on board will run you $3-5 out of pocket with the package. I drank a lot of Bulleit as well but at night would switch to Booker's and Basil Hayden's for a glass or two.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

That sounds about right. I'm surprised that there are so many liquors that aren't on the list. It's not that they don't have a good selection. You just have to go to the various bars to figure out what they have.

Perhaps it's because the beverage package is so ubiquitous that the published list is more limited.

My timing is off with regards to food. I'm too early for anything other than continental breakfast at the buffet restaurant. The MDR isn't open yet. I'll have to content myself with a glass of milk while I wait for the proteins to come on line.

Sure, I could have checked the daily program for the breakfast hours, but I was trying to be a good husband and not wake my wife.

Good morning POA1!

Is it to early to put your geek back on? Can you share with us the technology side of your tribes on-board communication? Is everyone using iConcierge for on-board texting? Is anyone using iMessage to do on-board or communication back to the home land? How about what's app? Or I have heard about a social networking add on available. My DW and two Ds's will be on The Getaway for Christmas and those boys will want to text friends on the main land. I don't want the texting home to run more than the cost of our trip! Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

To anyone interested, I have the contact to organize onboard group events ... Somewhere. I know someone will have the email handy.

Group dinner worked out very well. The only issue is that you have your choice of 2 dining times: 5:30 or 9:30p. We have lots of kiddos (all well behaved, of course) in our group, so 9:30 was a non starter. At 43, we took up most of right dining room, and fortunately we were the only ones there.

I'm up. DH needs an hour to get ready. And we've got 54 minutes. He's snoring. I'm afraid. I'm very, very afraid and currently arranging for a wheelchair to Weekend at Bernie my hubby off the ship to Maya Chan. He'll sleep in his palapa and like it.

In the not so poignant words of my pony Steve last night, "Ma'am Nessa, it's not about 7:45 in the morning. It's about right now." We should've gone with POA1 (not to be confused with POA2) and Huskerchick. If you were at Howl at the Moon last night, please tell me what time we left.

POA, if you're reading this right now, please call our room. Or send dad up. I need to wake a sleeping bear. It's not going to be pretty.

Alternately, I may try to open a beer and see if that does it.

Nope. Call our room. Stat. Need assistance. I get you in the divorce.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Forums mobile app

When you think Mexican drinks, you probably have visions of Tequila. Or Mezcal. Perhaps Kahlúa strikes your fancy. While these are all excellent choices to represent Mexico, you need to start thinking like a Norwegian. NCL's drink of the day for Costa Maya is that ancient drink of the Aztecs, Mayans, and Toltecs: The Bahama Mama! Made with Bacardi Silver, Bacardi Gold, Bacardi Coconut, Pineapple Juice, Orange Juice, and Grenadine. Topped with a maraschino cherry and sporting a colorful paper umbrella, this is truly the drink of a warrior culture.

bahama-mama-freestyle.jpg

I realize that we're on a modified itinerary, but Day 5 of the Eastern Caribbean would have been Tortola in the BVI - also not in the Bahamas.

Good morning POA1!

Is it to early to put your geek back on? Can you share with us the technology side of your tribes on-board communication? Is everyone using iConcierge for on-board texting? Is anyone using iMessage to do on-board or communication back to the home land? How about what's app? Or I have heard about a social networking add on available. My DW and two Ds's will be on The Getaway for Christmas and those boys will want to text friends on the main land. I don't want the texting home to run more than the cost of our trip! Thanks!

Most of them are using the $9.95 texting app that's part of the iConcierge app. Huskerchick and I are not. Huskerchick and her brother have iPhones and iMessage, Apple's iOS texting app runs over the ship's network without the need to purchase a data plan.

I am not texting anyone at all. I figure that if NCL isn't going to bundle their messaging with their $29.99 per day unlimited data plan, then NCL and I have different definitions of "unlimited." My wife and I have managed without texting on a cruise ship for two decades, so we'll muddle through. We use this really novel thing where we pick a time and a place and agree to meet there. I think it's going to be huge in the future. ;)

Someone asked about iConcierge for texting. Our group is using it. Or trying to. It sucks. For texting anyway.

Texting is delayed. Many of my messages are stuck in "sending" and I have to close the app entirely, reopen, rewrite (or paste) to get it to send.

Also, the bear is awake and just declared this the worst vacation ever. He's not a happy one in the mornings. If he leaves the room without his wedding ring, you'll get ring side seats to our People's Court Divorce.

P.S. It's also pouring right now which isn't helping. But better to get it out of the way now. Once the magic ponchos appear, I expect blue skies.

P.P.S. When I'm not on ship minutes, I will tell you all about trying to book a luxury beach villa on a revised itinerary, and how horribly it was mismanaged, both onshore and aboard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Forums mobile app

Another reader question about entertainment on the Escape. This one comes from Matt Tremony of Pardeeville, Wisconsin. Matt asks, "How does 'Escape The Big Top' work? Do you need to have a certain number of people to make up a team?"

Excellent question, Matt!

Only two members of our investigative unit wanted to participate in Escape The Big Top, AlexandNessa and me. Apparently it was "too geeky" for everyone else. (Not that we're resentful or anything.) A standard team consists of about eight people. If you don't have enough people to form a full team, don't worry. They'll assign other people to your troupe. Luckily, AlexandNessa was able to enlist some of "her people" to round out our team.

Ben Dover from Climax, Georgia writes, "My wife Eileen and I are going to be on the Escape in a few weeks. We're very competitive and want to win at any cost. Will you sell us the solution?"

Excellent question, Ben!

That would be cheating. "Escape from the Big Top" is supposed to be a fun activity, not a cutthroat competition. (How much cash are we talking? The Institute takes all major credit cards.) It would be wrong to give away the answers, not to mention unfair to your fellow cruisers. (Debit cards and direct payments from your checking account would work, too.) You and Eileen should just relax and play the game for fun. You're on vacation, after all. (Did I mention PayPal? We also take PayPal.)

Good morning POA1!

The social messaging data plan allows you to use Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, and other messaging apps. It doesn't allow FB photo posting or viewing according to the literature. I've asked the Department of Scanning Things to try to get a copy of the Internet flyer for you.

Funny you should mention the Painkiller. When we were scheduled to go to Tortola, our "excursion" was going to include a stop at Pusser's Road Town Pub for Painkillers made with Pusser's British Navy Rum.

Best place in the universe. Unfortunately, quite damaged now. Loving your review...thanks!

The Department of Scanning Things is working off a slight backlog. Here's yesterday's Freestyle Daily. Once again, you don't have to install Evernote, you can simply click on the link in the Evernote page.

We ran OCR on this file, so you should be able to copy text from it - because we care!

http://www.evernote.com/l/AFjJoMsxq2ZEHrSYg5YklNQmu1F_QVAbjck/

Absolutely loving your review but this link didn't have the daily in it. It said there was an error.

Looking forward to reading more of your review!

Absolutely loving your review but this link didn't have the daily in it. It said there was an error.

Looking forward to reading more of your review!

Thank you for catching that. I'll get it fixed later this afternoon.

It was pretty nice until around lunch time. Then there was an ominous looking dark storm front moving in. It did not rain torrentially, but it was enough DW and I to call time and order a shuttle back to port.

Huskerchick said that the included lunch at Maya Chan was very good. She grew up in Southern California and has an appreciation for good Mexican food.