Escape From Miami - Kinda, Sorta "Live From" - October 7-14, 2017

POA1

I was expecting the Skyline Bar to be some enormous dance club venue at the bow of the ship. Imagine my surprise.

On the plus side, NCL Shakira is dancing with NCL Shakira's grandpa.

On the negative side, my phone doesn't do well with low light and movement. I suppose I could go back to the room and grab my camera. That would probably lead to a less than delighted result from DW.

So, we're stuck with my description.

Spice H20 is dead. The Norwegian's Night Out Party has been supplanted with Norwegian's Night Out Cold.

The District Brew House is closed for the night. Tobacco Road was on last call. I don't think anyone else had posted hours beyond midnight - except for O'Sheehans, which gets surprisingly busy when everything else closes.

The guy next to me at the bar said that this was the quietest he's ever seen the Escape, and this is his fifth voyage on her.

I think the message is clear. Our group is inadvertently absorbing all the fun. We're what the experts call "a black hole of fun."

OK. I figured out why the ship is so dead. It's Canadian Thanksgiving. Happy Thanksgiving, Canada!

Is your Thanksgiving a multi day event, or can we expect people to be out tomorrow night?

POA1. I am really enjoy your LIVE posting of your daily events.

I am a UBP woman so I figure I share some of my fave drinks.

I love Painkiller even though I dislike coconut drinks like your DW. I also like Baileys with Patron Coffee. Forgot the name. Mixed Berry Mojoitos

And Bullet Old Fashioned. Take it from a person who has tried literally every drink on the UBP. Ha ha

Thank you. I am usually a RCCL lover and I am learning a lot about NCL

For no apparent reason, and certainly not for any kind of continuity - some photos from yesterday afternoon. The Chocolate Cowboy from the 5 O'Clock Somewhere Bar and one of those drinks I order for photo purposes. I'll try to remember to look up the name, but for now I'll just call it the pineapple sticky lips concoction. I made it about a third of the way through before I needed a palate cleanser of whiskey on the rocks. (And ice water. Proper hydration is key.)

2aec3ad978e87d25e360ac65f9b99955.jpga8c596f80903d4120412da534e874694.jpg

map-2017-10-09-roatan.jpg

We're in Roatan, Honduras today from 10:00 AM until 6:00 PM.

When our cruise got changed to a Western Caribbean itinerary, we needed to come up with some new port activities. In almost every case on every cruise we've been on, we've opted to plan our own excursions. This served us well because there really weren't any Norwegian excursions to book until 11 days before we sailed. We're a planning people and we hate to cut it that close without having concrete plans.

DW and I really enjoy snorkeling. We purchased our own fins, masks, snorkels, and flotation vests years ago and have a "snorkel bag" packed at all times, ready for action.

So naturally, we're going to Daniel Johnson's Monkey and Sloth Hangout and taking a Roatan island tour that does not involve a snorkel stop. You see, my father-in-law had eye surgery a while back and he can't really do the whole snorkeling thing. We needed to pick an activity that didn't involve going in the water.

My brother-in-law and AlexandNessa are going to be taking part in a private snorkel charter.

In case you're interested in Daniel Johnson's Monkey & Sloth Hangout, here's a video from one of Roatan's local tour operators. We had considered shooting our own video, but decided against it when we realized that it takes forever to get the sloths to sign the release forms.

aiOVbRnc-kw

------------

Tonight’s dinner is at Le Bistro. The ladies are out to prove that they are petite and delicate flowers by having the "Steak de Boeuf Plus Grand Que Votre Tête Pour Deux." It's a 32 ounce Angus ribeye carved tableside, served with a Bordelaise sauce, sautéed mushrooms, and seasonal vegetables. I'm a little torn, because I like just about everything on the menu.

Our next question comes from curious CruiseCritic user Noah Zarque of Kickapoo, Kansas. Mr. Zarque asks, "What did you think about 'After Midnight?' I've read mixed reviews."

Excellent question, Noah!

We enjoyed the show very much. The cast is really talented and the musicians are excellent. I think a great litmus test for whether or not you'll enjoy the show is to watch this clip of the Nicholas Brothers and Cab Calloway. If you like it, you'll probably enjoy the show. If you don't, then I'd say pass.

_8yGGtVKrD8

While the YouTube clip is in black and white, the show on the ship is in color. Unless you're a dog.

The show runs about an hour and 10 minutes in case you need to plan for it.

Rejected Campaign: “Escape – The Pina Colada Song”

escape-pina-colad-cruise-800.jpg

The second rejected concept used Rupert Holmes’ 1979 hit, “Escape – The Pina Colada Song.” The Institute’s Department of Theming Things with Graphics felt that this might be a good choice because it’s a very well-known song with broad international appeal. It reached the following position on the singles charts:

• Australia: #3
  • Belgium: #10
  • Canada: #1
  • Ireland: #10
  • The Netherlands: #13
  • New Zealand: #4
  • UK: #23
  • Billboard Hot 100 (USA): #1

They felt it would be an excellent way for the Institute of Cheer to expand its global brand.

Sadly, we had to reject this one because the Department of Actually Writing Stuff (Song Lyrics Division) could only come up with words for two of the song’s verses. That just wasn’t enough to sway our focus groups. It also didn’t help that the graphic featured a 45 RPM single of the song. After all, there’s a whole group of people out there who have never seen an album, yet alone a 45. Kids today are used to streaming music. The concept of having to get up, go over to the record player, and change the record for every single song is absolutely alien to them. On the other hand, we may have accidentally stumbled on the reason for the obesity problem. You used to have to get up constantly to change records and TV channels. Now you can just sit on your butt and press your thumb on a button. Hmm....

Because we don’t want to hurt the writers’ feelings, here are the two measly verses that they managed to crank out:

Escape – The Pina Colada Song. (Two verses only, with apologies to Rubert Holmes.)

When I talked with my lady, thought we'd book us a cruise

So I found us a fare code that had dining and booze.

So while she lay there sleeping, I read CruiseCritic in bed

And in the NCL section, there was this post that I read

If you like Pina Coladas, and you have U-B-P,

Then you're to-tally in luck, 'cause they're basically free.*

*Except that there's a service charge, and it's eighteen percent.

If it's booze that you've looked for, join me on the Escape.

Didn't worry 'bout my lady, and I know you might snicker

One thing about my lady, she can sure hold her liquor

So I called up our TA, told him we'd like UBP

And now we're booked on the Escape, sailing out of Miami.

Yes, I like Pina Coladas, but they freeze up my brain.

And that gives me a headache, I will have to abstain.

So I guess I'll be drinking bourbon**, 'cause you can't have Champagne.***

The real song:

TazHNpt6OTo

*- I think we all know what I mean here.

**-I would have been drinking bourbon anyway, preferably Maker's Mark. However, NCL doesn't have it on their UBP. Not that I hold a grudge - because who doesn't need more than a dozen vodkas and only two bourbons?

***-Seriously, I read on CruiseCritic that real Champagne was excluded, so it must be true.

POA1. I am really enjoy your LIVE posting of your daily events.

I am a UBP woman so I figure I share some of my fave drinks.

I love Painkiller even though I dislike coconut drinks like your DW. I also like Baileys with Patron Coffee. Forgot the name. Mixed Berry Mojoitos

And Bullet Old Fashioned. Take it from a person who has tried literally every drink on the UBP. Ha ha

Thank you. I am usually a RCCL lover and I am learning a lot about NCL

Funny you should mention the Painkiller. When we were scheduled to go to Tortola, our "excursion" was going to include a stop at Pusser's Road Town Pub for Painkillers made with Pusser's British Navy Rum.

The Drink of the Day is the Rebellious Fish: Russian Standard Vodka, Passoa Passion Fruit Liqueur, Triple Sec, Orange Juice, and Prosecco.

This sounds like a Mimosa from hell. I'm really not looking forward to it, but I have to try it, seeing as it's the NCL signature cocktail. Apparently it's named after the fish on the carpet. Not the fish on the Escape's carpet. They all go in the same direction, toward the bow. However, on some of NCL's other ships, there's a fish swimming in the other direction. This one's the rebellious fish.) We heard reports that the carpet on the Norwegian Sun still had the hallway carpets with the rebellious fish. Lo and behold, there is was!

fish-carpet-ncl-sun.jpg

How often do you get to have carpet themed drinks? (You could have quite a few if you put your mind to it. There's the Berber Iced Tea, Strawberry Shag, White Plush, the Shag Pile, and the Red Carpet. There' also the Oriental Rug. I don't have a link for this last one, so the recipe is below.)

I guess what I'm saying, is that you could start today with a Rebellious Fish and then have six more carpet themed cocktails. If you wind up crawling back to your room on your hands and knees, that would add a poetic end to your Pub Crawl on Carpet.

ORIENTAL RUG:

• 1/2 oz Bailey's Irish Cream
  • 1/2 oz Frangelico
  • 1/2 oz Jagermeister
  • 1/2 oz Kahlua
  • Splash of cola

Combine all ingredients in a shaker with ice. Shake and strain into a rocks glass. (This drink goes off the rails with the Jager. I doubt that the cola brings much to the party, either.)

A word on unlimited Internet access and device switching;

First, I want to say that the Internet speeds have been great for a cruise ship. (Our trip in December on Holland America's Eurodam had dismal speeds.) I have had almost no issues with drops or missed hand offs as I have roamed around the ship.

Switching between my phone and computer can be a little tricky. You have to log off one device to use another. The good thing is that you can "kick" the first device off when you attempt to log in on the second one. (That's probably hilarious if a family is sharing a plan.)

The issue you may run into is that your browser may save "state" which means that you do not actually complete the login process. You get stuck. This is more of a phone problem. I found that closing browsers or switching to a new browser and attempting to log in unsticks you. If you don't run two web browsers on your phone, you may want to load a second one before you leave home. I'm running three, but that's probably not the norm.

OK.. Enough with the geek boy stuff. Time to wake Huskerchick. Gotta grab some breakfast because... SLOTHS!

The only thing I am missing are the wine reports, including ratings:cool:.
I did all the ratings for the two Jose Andres restaurants, and I will do the regular ones later. I'm only doing the by-the-glass ones from the package though.

We're back from our island tour and visit to Daniel Johnson's Monkey and Sloth Hangout. DW was digging on the sloth. The capuchin monkeys did not really want to jump on her like they did everyone else. I figure that's a good thing as it means she has no bugs in her hair.

We had an excellent tour guide and our day had just the right amount of sightseeing. It was just DW, her dad, me and the guide. More on Roatan later.

The Cellars Wine Bar has a very extensive selection of wines by the glass, many priced within UBP limits. It's not very busy, but I think it would be a go to spot for wine drinkers. I snapped photos of all the wines by the glass to post later. DW is having a rose Rioja from Muga. I'm having their white blend.

After this, we are heading to Tobacco Road. There's work to be done.