Escape From Miami - Kinda, Sorta "Live From" - October 7-14, 2017

POA1

Have a great cruise. Holy cow Tanner Lee just threw another pick 6 on the first series. Looks like lll be having the UBP at home tonight while watching the game. GBR
Just finished dinner and saw the 17 - 10 3rd Quarter score. Still hopeful, not happy though.

To the person who was asking about port. Near as I can tell, the only one available on the UBP is the Sandeman's. I had it with dessert tonight. (Please see my previous message about having the most glasses and winning.)

I am officially concerned. It's 10:40 PM and my wife, my brother-in-law and my sister-in-law have all tapped out. My DFIL has as well, but he's 80, so I'll give him a pass.

I did not drink for several weeks before this cruise in order to prepare. Now, here I am, not drinking on the first day.

To make matters worse, we GAIN an hour tonight. That's an hour wasted. It's supposed to be an hour getting wasted.

Grrr.

I'll be holding auditions for a new family tomorrow at the Sugarcane Mojito Bar at 2:30.

Attention: Department of Investigations; please confirm if Cagney still offer Tomahawk steak in their offerings. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sadly, no. Just a regular ribeye.

Well this just means it's just time to pull a Doug.

I thought about that - seriously - but it's night one and I hate to blow all my goodwill right out of the gate. I guess everyone is tired because of the long trip in today. We came from well over 25 miles away and DSIL/DBIL came across the bridge to the port.

Didn't want to wake DW, but her Huskers just lost 38-17. Probably best I stayed home.

FREESTYLE DAILY DAY ONE:

The Department of Scanning Things is pleased to present the Day 1 Western Caribbean Freestyle Daily.

Please note that you DO NOT NEED TO LOAD EVERNOTE to use this file. You can just click on the link in the web page to view the PDF.

http://www.evernote.com/l/AFgMCO59s2lGPZ0NqRT-yjVa_o9y32pPCh8/

map-2017-10-08-sea-day.jpg

On tap for today: Dinner at Moderno and the 10:00 PM performance of “After Midnight.”

When we originally booked this cruise as an Eastern itinerary, we were going to have back-to-back sea days to start the trip. We were semi-psyched because there's a lot to do on the Escape, and having the extra sea days would have allowed us to experience more of the on board offerings. I'm afraid that lack of two early sea days in a row is going to impact my ability to learn new dance steps or create origami animals. So, if my cha-cha is awkward, and my origami swan looks like a paper airplane, blame the missing sea day.

Since this is our first full day on the ship, we’ll try to get ourselves oriented. We plan to hit every bar on the ship for at least one drink. (Not necessarily today though… This kind of exploration and investigation takes time. I’m guessing three days tops. Then we can do some more in-depth analysis of our favorites. The early candidates for additional research are The District Brew House, Tobacco Road, and the Sugarcane Mojito Bar. That list will probably change once we complete our initial work.

If you have any favorite drinks at the Escape's bars and lounges, please let us know. We're looking for unique suggestions, so you can skip the drinks that are run-of-the-mill things you can get anywhere. *If it helps, Huskerchick's go-to cocktail is Ketel One & soda with lime, AlexandNessa hates coconut, and my drink of choice is Maker's Mark on the rocks. DBIL will be having Coors Light. (His mission is to stress-test the Coors Light delivery systems on the ship.) DW & I aren't big fans of sugary drinks, but if there's something that we absolutely, positively MUST try, let us know.

Edited by POA1

Question for all the NCL Escape veterans out there:

Why are the mini fridges locked? I can take a picture of the the door once it's light out, but I think it best to not fire up the room lights in the middle of the night while DW is sleeping.

There's a barrel lock in the cooler/refrigerator door. There's also a sticker on the door telling you that the minibar isn't included in the beverage package. I was hoping to be able to put some of our liquid gold (aka 24 bottle water package) in the fridge. If we happen to meet our room steward, I think we can ask him or her. Just not sure when that will be.

I guess the obvious answer to the locked minibar question is that we give off that 'These people are thieves vibe." I suppose it's my own fault. I wore a sports jacket to dinner last night. Why would anyone wear a jacket while freestyling? Clearly it's so I could fill the pockets with stolen contraband!

Edited by POA1

Our cabin AC is excellent. I'm pretty sure that we could turn down to maximum chill and use our room as a vegetable crisper. By the way, this is not a criticism. We appreciate being able to keep the room cool.

The public area temperatures were quite comfortable last night. (At least the public areas I got to experience before the rest of our party decided to call it a night.) The public areas we ventured into were the Cagney's & Moderno restaurant areas, and the Prime Meridian bar. (Home of the Maker's Mark that sells for a mere fifty cents more than it does at the Four Seasons in Santa Barbara, California. Technically, it's more than double, because the ship's Makers was a pretty spot on measured pour. The Four Seasons serves what we at the Institute would term a "healthy pour.") The Prime Meridian is a lovely bar, with a distinctly upscale feel, excellent service, and some quality bar snack mix - which we did not really need, but nonetheless appreciated.

I suppose I should try to get a little sleep. Otherwise how will I keep up with those crazy kids tonight? ;)

For a little clarification, this is a Wang Wang. It's a Holland America concoction that we wind up ordering every trip - mostly for the photo op. (If one of my HAL readers could help a bother out and post the recipe, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!)

So anyway... The Wang Wang is a crowd favorite. It's very strong, but you'd never know from the taste, because it's also very sweet. We'd argue that it's too sweet. The first photo shows the Wang Wang next to Huskerchick's Ketel and soda. The second picture shows it next to my Maker's on the rocks. It also shows you about how far we get before deciding it's too sweet and bailing on the Wang Wang.

f56df972ffeaf53192bbafffe276197f.jpg859dc51576a5ffad1033de7e4a5cdb03.jpg

For a little clarification, this is a Wang Wang. It's a Holland America concoction that we wind up ordering every trip - mostly for the photo op. (If one of my HAL readers could help a bother out and post the recipe, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!)

POA1 - I found the Wang Wang recipe for you on the boards:

Wang Wang Recipe

1/4 oz Vodka

1/4 oz Gin

1/4 oz White Rum

1/4 oz Scotch

1/4 oz Bourbon

1/4 oz Tequila

1/4 Triple Sec

1/4 oz Brandy

Topped off with Pineapple, Orange Juice and a splash of Grenadine

Hope this helps your research :D

POA1 - I found the Wang Wang recipe for you on the boards:

Hope this helps your research :D

Thank you! So much important research occurs in the library. Not all of it has to be field work. Appreciate the help!

It's 6:00 AM ship's time as we are now on Central Time. That makes it 7:00 AM back home. Now I don't feel so bad for being awake. Not to worry though. I do actually sleep. Just in high quality bursts. You're know the kind... Drool on the pillow and all that.

Anyway...

I thought I'd run a speed test while the rest of the ship is sleeping. (Not counting those people up at the crack of dawn for a run. There's no helping them.) We did walk the steps from our muster on deck 7 to our room on 14, so we're kind of on goal for fitness. ;)

Speed picks up a little under less load. Pretty much what you'd expect.

c32c6200e7b0dc4ca0e605478848a765.jpg