Escape From Miami - Kinda, Sorta "Live From" - October 7-14, 2017

POA1

Since I am up, I decided to visit the Garden Cafe. At 6:30 AM, It's pretty empty. However, the tide is slowly rolling in. There is a very good chance that this will be my last time here because DW and I are not really buffet people. I wanted to grab some eggs for a little pre-breakfast protein. Just something to hold me over for a few hours while I crank out some work-work (as opposed to science-work.)

Wishing all the Canadians who are travelling for Thanksgiving a safe journey.

Wang Wang recipe posted by Copper

1/4 oz of each: Vodka

Gin

White Rum

Scotch

Bourbon

Tequila

Brandy

Triple Sec

Top off with Pineapple juice and Orange juice and add a splash of Grenadine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That drink alone would knock me off my feet. Thanks for posting the ingredient list so I can make sure I don't try that one. [emoji485]

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Forums mobile app

Guys:

Has this ever happened to you? You're on vacation. You have work to do. But... Your lovely bride wants to sleep in.

What's a fella to do?

Introducing Pain Au Chocolat! Put a couple of our patented chocolate croissants on a plate. Place the plate between your wife and your workspace. When you accidentally wake your wife - and you will - the chocolate croissants will help to absorb any spousal anger she may feel.

Chocolate. It makes all things better!

25cafde79e5db367e69522083647a523.jpg

Enjoying your review. We're on the Escape for the second time in February.

Regarding your mini-bar/fridge. It's likely that the person before you requested that the mini-bar be locked and the steward never unlocked it. You can leave a note for your steward to empty the mini-bar if you'd like. That's what we always have them do. We then fill it with water and things we think we are going to eat later (but never do, because new food always appears).

map-2017-10-08-sea-day.jpg

On tap for today: Dinner at Moderno and the 10:00 PM performance of “After Midnight.”

When we originally booked this cruise as an Eastern itinerary, we were going to have back-to-back sea days to start the trip. We were semi-psyched because there's a lot to do on the Escape, and having the extra sea days would have allowed us to experience more of the on board offerings. I'm afraid that lack of two early sea days in a row is going to impact my ability to learn new dance steps or create origami animals. So, if my cha-cha is awkward, and my origami swan looks like a paper airplane, blame the missing sea day.

Since this is our first full day on the ship, we’ll try to get ourselves oriented. We plan to hit every bar on the ship for at least one drink. (Not necessarily today though… This kind of exploration and investigation takes time. I’m guessing three days tops. Then we can do some more in-depth analysis of our favorites. The early candidates for additional research are The District Brew House, Tobacco Road, and the Sugarcane Mojito Bar. That list will probably change once we complete our initial work.

If you have any favorite drinks at the Escape's bars and lounges, please let us know. We're looking for unique suggestions, so you can skip the drinks that are run-of-the-mill things you can get anywhere. *If it helps, Huskerchick's go-to cocktail is Ketel One & soda with lime, AlexandNessa hates coconut, and my drink of choice is Maker's Mark on the rocks. DBIL will be having Coors Light. (His mission is to stress-test the Coors Light delivery systems on the ship.) DW & I aren't big fans of sugary drinks, but if there's something that we absolutely, positively MUST try, let us know.

If you guys can make it up to the Haven Lounge for any reason with your family with access to it, ask Miraslav to make you an Old Fashioned. Best one I ever had. Plus they are the best bartenders on the ship up there.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

so about that Wang Wang.....is that included in the drink plan???? I just might have to try one (or 2) :)
It's a Holland America drink and it's included in their plan as it's only $7.95. I only get them when we're on vacation on HAL so we can take the obligatory photo. I don't see any ingredients that would cause it to exceed the $15 NCL cap, but I don't know for sure.

One of the things I was most curious about was how this whole UBP business was going to work out. Not for us, mind you. We're working here and we hold ourselves to a high standard of professionalism. I was more interested in seeing how the whole "unlimited alcoholic beverages" thing was going to look writ large.

My wife and I come from the world of Holland America, where a beverage package covers 15 drinks a day - and that includes water, canned soda, sports & energy drinks, and specialty coffees. So realistically, people are probably only going to have 10-12 beverages that they would allocate to alcohol. Even then, many HAL cruisers trade a reduction in cruise fare for the "free" beverage package, because "Who could possibly drink 15 drinks? Who could get their money's worth?" (We can. Breakeven is only about 5 drinks at the typical $7.95 cost, a bottle of spring water, a canned soda, and a cappuccino at the Signature Beverage Package's $49.95 price point. The drink price structure is completely different, but that's a topic for another day.)

On NCL, the drink package doesn't include canned soda, bottled water, and specialty coffees. It does however, include booze without limit. (Yes, I know that they can cut you off.)

We had thought about setting up a daily feature where we had a side-by-side, split-screen photo feature with the "Drink of the Day" on the left and the "Drunk of the Day" on the right. We decided that doing so would be pretty mean, especially since we wouldn't post pictures of ourselves - both because we can hold our liquor, and because of the No Selfies rule.

drunk-of-the-day.jpg

Edited by POA1

What bourbons do they have under $15? I'm not into sweet drinks. I will try some but my go to drink is a bourbon. my husband likes Patron, is it under $15?

You all have a great time -- this will be our first with NCL too...Jade in 40 days, Escape in 90 so we're loving your awesome review!

In Vibe there is a bartender, Ramos, who makes a wicked breakfast shot. You need to have a crispy piece of bacon 🥓 to eat with it, but it tastes like orange [emoji521] juice, pancakes 🥞 and bacon. If you go to the bar just outside Vibe and ask, maybe Ramos will come out and make it for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You might try a Painkiller if you havent had one. Made famous by the Soggy Dollar Bar over on Jost Van Dyke. Rum, coconut cream, pineapple and orange juice topped off with nutmeg. Very tasty!!!! They made pretty good ones on the Escape.

Thank you for the extremely fun morning Read! I have a friend from work on your cruise and hopped on to see if the storms had caused any problems with the cruise. So glad I did! We will be on the Escape for the 2nd time in Feb.

If you enjoy specialty coffee's as I do love a Baileys coffee order your coffee and a shot of Baileys on the side and it's included in the UDP.

I know you said you don't like sugary but might I suggest a Raspberry Guava mojito from Sugar Cane, they are so delicious! Enjoy! Can't wait to read more

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The ship's tour has moved on to the 5 O'Clock Somewhere Bar. One of AlexandNessa's friends has organized a bar crawl at 2:30. The organizer is Steve (no relation to the pony.) That should allow us to bang out some other venues.

I'm all for getting the most out of your beverage package, but when the car is careening down the hill at breakneck speed, the time to hit the brakes is before the wheels come off. After passing a few people this morning who look as sick as a small hospital, I think some words of caution are in order.

Time to cue the Oompa Loompas.

oompa-loompa-01.jpg

oompa-loompa-02.jpg

oompa-loompa-03.jpg

oompa-loompa-04.jpg

oompa-loompa-05.jpg

oompa-loompa-06.jpg

oompa-loompa-07.jpg

Ooompa Loompa video

PZhs7w-FzeI

Oompa loompa doompety doo

I've got a perfect puzzle for you

Oompa loompa doompety dee

If you are wise you'll listen to me

What do you get when you chug-a-lug brews?

Drinks of the day and a whole more booze?

What you are getting is totally baked

You're gonna have a real headache

I think it's a big mistake.

Oompa loompa doompety dude...

If you're hungover you won't feel good.

You won't live in happiness too

Like the Oompa Loompa Doompety do

Doompety do

veruca-salt.jpg