Prinsendam's Windmills & Waterford Cruise

jhannah

We are underway! After a great time in Amsterdam, we went to the passenger ship terminal just before 11:00. Check-in time was announced at 11:30, but actually began at around 11:15. As we came in, we were given a number. This is the first time we've had numbers, and it worked out well.

When our number was called, we went first through security. Then, as we entered the hall to check in, Louis came after us saying "You're from Las Vegas." He is the head of HAL's embark/debark division, and was in Amsterdam to oversee the process there. He had recognized me from my avatar photo here. So here's more proof that Seattle notes what we say here. We went over to the desk, and were there literally 5 minutes. We were told to pull the ticket coupon from the book and have it ready with the immigration forms and credit card authorization slip. All the check-in person had to do was scan our passports, swipe the credit card, and give us our ship's card. We were then onto the gangway up to the ship. I must give a salute to Louis and his staff because this is the smoothest embarkation I've experienced.

Oh, there were probably a dozen liquor bottles at the security checkpoint. They are checking for them, and they are taking them.

After lunch in the Lido, we went straight to our cabin, which was announced as ready at a quarter 'till one. We relaxed in our cabin for a while, got our luggage at about 2:00, then went out on deck for sailaway. Two fire boats saluted us with water sprays as we left. The rainbows they created were very nice.

We cast off about 5:20. An hour later, we saw Ine and Ton waving to us from near their home. We were still in the North Sea Canal. It was nice of them to see us off. They also drove down to the locks as we went through and into the Sea.

Dinner last night was great. Nice dining companions. The service was fine. No program last night other than introductions of the staff.

Today we're in Dover. Right now the wind is howling so madly that there's a tug right outside the Internet Center churning full bore to keep us in position against the dock. I think someone said 45 mph winds. Fortunately, these didn't come up until we finished our excursion to Canterbury. It was really nice to see the place that is the subject of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales.

Tomorrow is St. Peter Port. I would imagine that we'll have a bumpy night unless these winds back off a good bit.

More later from The Elegant Explorer.

Enjoy your cruise, Jim. Say Hi to JohnnyI from Slinkie and Grumpy. We're glad to hear that embarkation went smoothly and you are off to a good start. We certainly wish we were on the Elegant Explorer with you.

Grumpy and Slinkie

Jim, sounds like you and Donna are having a wonderful time. As I read what you wrote I could almost imagine everything. I would love to some day cruise on the Prinsendam. Looking forward to hearing more.

Nothing new and exciting here in Vegas just the same old Hot Weather.

Thanks so much for reporting in.

Oh, one more thing ...

It's interesting that our bathroom amenities have changed. Maybe it's been this way a long time, but it's new to me since our Zaandam cruise in the Spring. The soap, shampoo, body wash, and lotion are the very same eucalyptus products like we have gotten on Princess ships in the past, except there is no ship brand on the labels. Can't help but wonder if Carnival Corp. is moving to generic products across all brand lines. Anyone know? The products are fine. No complaints ... just wondering if anyone knows anything about this change.

We just posted some photos of the CC dinner in Amsterdam.

We took some pictures of the Port webcam when Prinsendam sailed out of the harbor.

Also our photos of Prinsendam sailing through Northseacanal, the locks in IJmuiden and sailing toward the Northsea.

check them on: http://community.webshots.com/album/432186035eZAzoi

Jim, we have even more photos, but will hold them until you are back home. If needed we can then send the originals. Of course also for the other CC'ers.

To all of you, have a great cruise, enjoy it.

Ine, what wonderful picture. I am sure Jim and Donna and Dona and Kay will enjoy seeing these picture. If you put them on slide show for 2 seconds it looks like the Prinsendam is actually on film:D

Ine, thanks for taking good care of our Las Vegas friends.

Jim -

Glad to hear you made it onboard and that all is well! Thanks for keeping us posted - look forward to hearing more, especially about St. Petersburg. :)

Ine - Great photos, thanks for sharing them. :)

Jim -

Maybe if you make friends with the security guy he'll split the loot!

Have a great time, I'm barely containing myself waiting for your reports as this is one of the two itineraries we definitely want to find a place for in the near fduture...

Jim: hope you and Donna are having a wonderful time--the pictures seem to indicate that you are!

Please give our regards to ACD's: Mike, Krista and Jaymie and to Debbie Buchanan if she is still the cruise consultant and Andy Bali, one of the dining room chief stewards.

Looking forward to your reports!

Hello Jim,

Glad to hear from your nice Cruise.

We have done the same "Windmills and Waterford" cruise last September, departure was from Copenhagen.

But I have a doubt about your St. Peter Port visit.

Last September we had the same wind force 8 (45 kn = fresh Gale), and because Guernsey needs a Tender access, the Captain was obliged to cancel it.....

Hoop you can go, best wishes and smooth sailing

Gerd

P.S.

===

nautical miles per hours = knods

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

82 days - around 22'200 Nm

Future cruises :

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars - July 2006

MS RYNDAM - Southern Caribbean - March 2007

Jim - glad to hear that you are underway and everything is going well. I do so wish that I was there... (How come we don't have a "green with envy" smilie on this site???)

Interesting about bathroom amenities. On ROTTERDAM we had the usual "Royal Dutch" ones. We also had the old baggage tags unlike WESTERDAM and PRINSENDAM. Is RTDM becoming a clearinghouse for obsolete stuff ;) ?

Laura - Jim's cruise doesn't go to St. Petersburg. He does go to St. Peter Port, Guernsey, Channel Islands, UK :) . More info on Guernsey here and here (or do a Google for "Guernsey").

Itinerary for Prinsendam

- Departed Amsterdam

London(Dover)England;

Guernsey, Channel Islands;

Milford Haven, Wales:

Waterford, Ireland:

Liverpool, England:

Dublin, Ireland:

Douglas, Isle of Man:

Belfast, Northern Irelanad:

Stornoway, Hebrides, Scotland:

Kirkwall, Scotland:

Orkney Islands, Scotland:

Invergordon, Scotland,

Leith, Scotland (2 days):

cruising North Sea:

Amsterdam - end of cruise, 6th Sept.2005

Hi Jim remember me from our Panama Canal cruise? I have been reading your documentation of your current cruise and it is very interesting. Make sure you tell Donna hello from Pat and I and am looking forward to your next installment.

marilyn

Yes, Marilyn. I remember you well. Thanks for posting. We are in Wales today. Just lovely. I posted last night but it's not here!!!??? Anyway, we made it into St. Peter Port just fine. I'll tell you about it later. Need to run for now.

Jim,

If you happen to run into a Lois and Ken from Atlanta - they were on the Prinsendam last year when we did the Black Sea cruise - please give them my regards.

I am enjoying reading your diary knowing that we have friends aboard as well. Am looking forward to the next instalment.

Jennie

I posted this last night, but somehow it didn't make it. Anyway, it was a lovely day and we were able to tender in to St. Peter Port on the Isle of Gurnsey. The town is quite charming, and Victor Hugo's home is here. This is where he completed Les Miserables, we were told. We walked the town a good bit, venturing over to the Castle Coronet. Lots of history here, dating back to the 1200s. There are several beautiful gardens "hidden" throughout the maze of the castle. Several museums that portray the history of Guernsey and the battles between the English and Germans.

Dinner was very good ... again. The menus have featured Norwegian salmon every night in a special category that's an addition to the regular menu items. Baked, grilled, sesame crusted ... you name it. It's very good (by my taste) and has a more North Sea flavor than the typical Alaskan or Atlantic salmon. Tonight, thought, I opted for surf and turf just to have something different.

Tonight's entertainer was a violin virtuoso. He played a variety of music associated with the British Isles, beginning with a lively Irish jig. One of the numbers was unaccompanied by the orchestra and was unique. He bowed and plucked the strings with both hands and struck the strings with the back of the bow. I think he said it was written that way by Vivaldi. The audience seemed to enjoy it as I did.

The night was a little rough journeying to Milford Haven, yet not too bad. (I slept like a baby!) In the early morning hours it settled down and was quite pleasant when we arrived in Wales. Still no rain, and we feel very blessed.

We took a tour out into the countryside to visit Tom the woodcarver in his small shop. Tom makes lovespoons. Years ago, most Welsh were very poor. So when a young man took a fancy to a young lady, he would carve her a spoon. These are very ornate, and contain one or two hearts and other symbols representing their relationship in some way. If the young lady accepted the spoon from her suitor, then they were betrothed. The whole process is called "spooning," and that's where the term originates.

We then proceeded to the harbor town of Tenby for sightseeing and shopping before returning to Milford Haven and the ship.

Yes, Cuttle, that is indeed the Prinsendam in the photo, anchored in the harbor.

A local group is scheduled to entertain in the Queens' Lounge in just a few minutes, so I'll sign off for this installment. More to come later from The Elegant Explorer.

So nice to hear from you, Jim. Your posts have been wonderful and I look forward to more. :)

It's very generous of you to think of us and share while on your wonderful cruise.

Hope you and Donna continue to have a great time.

Enjoy!!!

Dinner was very good ... again. The menus have featured Norwegian salmon every night in a special category that's an addition to the regular menu items. Baked, grilled, sesame crusted ... you name it. It's very good (by my taste) and has a more North Sea flavor than the typical Alaskan or Atlantic salmon. [/i].

Jim,

Glad you are having a wonderful time. Bruce and I are stuck in the desert until our December cruise, with no water or windmills in sight. :( (But immensely enjoying the Panama Canal book you recommended.)

Can you explain a bit more about the salmon? Just what flavor is the North Sea? I would have thought salty . . . .

--Ev

Archived