Specialty Dining on formal nights

LMaxwell

Which is correct?

Formal Nights are ship wide for dress code in all dining areas?

or

Formal Nights are in the MDRs?

Want to skip formal clothes next time so was going to go specialty dining so as not to violate rules of MDR.

We don't do buffets for dinner so not interested in being told to go there.

You do not have to dress formal in the specialty restaurants, even on formal nights. I know others will want to put in their two cents now but honestly the dress is suggested, You can go to the MDR on formal nights and you don't HAVE to dress formal. What is considered "business casual" in most workplaces is sufficient. Ok now all the folks that are hanging on to the past are going to chime in and say how if you don't dress formal it will ruin their cruise...LOL....seriously its 2016 the times they are a changing!!

You do not have to dress formal in the specialty restaurants, even on formal nights. I know others will want to put in their two cents now but honestly the dress is suggested, You can go to the MDR on formal nights and you don't HAVE to dress formal. What is considered "business casual" in most workplaces is sufficient. Ok now all the folks that are hanging on to the past are going to chime in and say how if you don't dress formal it will ruin their cruise...LOL....seriously its 2016 the times they are a changing!!

Slacks, button up collared shirt, no tie, no jacket.

Just wanted to make sure if it was MDR only or ship wide.

I am boarding Regal this Sunday and for the first time since cruising since 1993 I will not be bringing a suit, a sport jacket or a tie of any type....and I am pretty excited about it! Nice slacks, buttoned collared shirt and you will be fine!

Which is correct?

or

Want to skip formal clothes next time so was going to go specialty dining so as not to violate rules of MDR.

Smart casual will be fine in specialty rest. Please don't wear "t" shirts & swim shorts at night. Though they were not allowed in the mdr, I saw way too much of it around the ship.(Regal Feb.7-21) Really makes for a trashy look.

Edited by keithm

Which is correct?

Not accurate

or

Accurate

See above

If you are on the Royal or Regal then Alfredo's is also an alternate sit down free dining choice without reservations. On the Royal and Regal you may be surprised at the quality and selections for dinner at the buffet.

You most likely will not be turned away from the MDR if you are not formally dressed. Most men dress dress in suit and tie, some in sport jacket and tie, a few with jacket, no tie and then you almost always see at least one or two with just a sport shirt. Women always seem to be properly dressed.

Yeah, but the amount of bathing shorts & wife beater T shirts(especially Feb.7-14)on the Regal at night, even on formal nights really made for a trashy look at times. Slacks & collared shirt are SO much better if pax want to dress down. During the day I have no issues with ANY dress type.

What is considered "business casual" in most workplaces is sufficient.

Sufficient yes, but not what Princess requests. The non formal night suggested dress code is Elegant Casual, not Business Casual. The latter generally consists of khakis and a polo or cotton uniform-type shirt, while according to Princess Elegant Casual should be "in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home: Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies;

Pants and open-neck shirts for men"

Yeah, but the amount of bathing shorts & wife beater T shirts(especially Feb.7-14)on the Regal at night, even on formal nights really made for a trashy look at times. Slacks & collared shirt are SO much better if pax want to dress down. During the day I have no issues with ANY dress type.

I don't wear tank top undershirts, and I don't wear undershirts as outerwear. And why on Earth would I walk around at dinner time in a bathing suit? :confused:

Sufficient yes, but not what Princess requests. The non formal night suggested dress code is Elegant Casual, not Business Casual. The latter generally consists of khakis and a polo or cotton uniform-type shirt, while according to Princess Elegant Casual should be "in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home: Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies;

Pants and open-neck shirts for men"

Pants and open neck shirts = khakis and polo; no? Or a button up Tommy Bahama type shirt?

Just looked on their website; says smart casual. Don't know what the difference is between elegant casual, smart casual, business casual but all sounds like the same thing.

Which is correct?

or

From the horse's mouth:

"When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests."

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

From the horse's mouth:

"When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests."

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

Perfect. Found it just before you posted. About the time I got the no tux, must mean bathing suit warning [emoji1] [emoji1]

Sent from my B1-730HD using Tapatalk

Which is correct?

or

We dress up in a tux or suit and fancy dress on formal night, but people wear slacks and collared shirt and are fine. You probably wouldn't wear less than that even in the specialty restaurants.

Are you talking in the DR or,all over the ship? If it is all over the ship I have no problem with it. When we travel we dont eat in the DR and therefore don't bring anything but one pair of long pants and a collared shirt for when we eat in the specialty restaurant. It is our vacation and we want it as casual as possible and makes packing a breeze. For many years we did all the dress up and formals and enjoyed it however as we get older and the airlines get more restrictive with luggage we are all for casual

Which is correct?

or

Pants and a shirt will get you everywhere on formal nights.

Slacks, button up collared shirt, no tie, no jacket.

Just wanted to make sure if it was MDR only or ship wide.

Officially you can wear whatever you please on formal nights around the ship.

As other have already mentioned even in the DR they don't enforce the stringent rules that so many like to quote, so that a pair of dress pants & dress shirt are all that's required.

On formal nights I prefer a pair of jeans & T shirt for the show but you'll see plenty of shorts among the crowd.

I don't wear tank top undershirts, and I don't wear undershirts as outerwear. And why on Earth would I walk around at dinner time in a bathing suit? :confused:

If you were on that leg of our Regal cruise you'd know what I mean. The amount of pax at night dressed that way was shameful. NO you did not see pax like that in the mdr, but you certainly did in the buffet. I understand casual, but that was really pushing it!

Are you talking in the DR or,all over the ship? If it is all over the ship I have no problem with it. When we travel we dont eat in the DR and therefore don't bring anything but one pair of long pants and a collared shirt for when we eat in the specialty restaurant. It is our vacation and we want it as casual as possible and makes packing a breeze. For many years we did all the dress up and formals and enjoyed it however as we get older and the airlines get more restrictive with luggage we are all for casual

No, not in the mdr. Still at night, I feel dress like that is slovenly! Period! During the day when pax are ashore or lounging around the ship I'm fine, but at night at least a modicum of proper dress should be adhered to.

Keith, seriously, I don't disagree with you about what you think of people who can't be bothered to dress up, but tone down the judgy rhetoric. Glass houses, stones and all that.

I totally hear you about trying to maintain standards and a sense of occasion, but I think you know what I mean about judging and labeling people.

No, not in the mdr. Still at night, I feel dress like that is slovenly! Period! During the day when pax are ashore or lounging around the ship I'm fine, but at night at least a modicum of proper dress should be adhered to.

Sounds like you would be more comfortable on the Cunard line if that's what you prefer. People on Princess, even the ones who like to dress up, are a little more laid-back in their style.

Keith, seriously, I don't disagree with you about what you think of people who can't be bothered to dress up, but tone down the judgy rhetoric. Glass houses, stones and all that.

I totally hear you about trying to maintain standards and a sense of occasion, but I think you know what I mean about judging and labeling people.

Still a little attempt to dress not so slovenly doesn't hurt! Would you care to dine out at a nice rest. in nice clothes or dine out with a group of people who all looked like "Onslow"?

I shouldn't have to tell you who "Onslow" was!

Sounds like you would be more comfortable on the Cunard line if that's what you prefer. People on Princess, even the ones who like to dress up, are a little more laid-back in their style.

True, Celebrity/Cunard are our lines of choice. A screw up in vacation plans resulted in us doing the Regal for a 14 day B2B. It was a very good trip overall. Food was good(though I've had better)Ship was gorgeous. I just felt that many pax in wife beater "T's" & bathing shorts at night, really gave the ship a somewhat less appeal. I'm fine with anything goes during the day, but some of the dress at night was way beyond laid back! I will say that most of this occurred from Feb.7-14. From Feb.14-21 the "Onslows" (yeah, I call them that, sorry)had pretty much "left the building". I attribute it to the week of the SuperBowl. We were on the Eclipse in 2014 during the SuperBowl & pax just didn't dress like that. If shorts were worn, they were pretty decent ones. I'd certainly book the Regal again, especially for the fantastic staff(who we felt were the best we ever had)I just wouldn't do it during SuperBowl week.