Difference in Verandah categories?

surgie

Take a look at the deck plan and you'll see that the cabins are basically the same but the size of the balconies can differ and obviously the deck will differ, too. It's all about location, location, location!

Take a look at the deck plan and you'll see that the cabins are basically the same but the size of the balconies can differ and obviously the deck will differ, too. It's all about location, location, location!

A few years ago HAL redid most of the cabin sub-categories. At that time I think they used the criteria of which cabins were selling out the best. Ever since then, my thoughts of the "best" cabin within a given category has differed from HAL's rankings, luckily in my favor most of the time. Regardless, just be aware that what HAL thinks is a "better" cabin may not agree with what you think.

What is the difference between the various categories: VS V VA VC VD etc.
On Vista and Signature class ships VH cabins have steel-wall railings instead of plexiglas. On the Koningsdam it is the deck 4 VF that have the steel railings, and the VH are obstructed by lifeboats directly in front. VQ have "spa amenities".

A few years ago HAL redid most of the cabin sub-categories. At that time I think they used the criteria of which cabins were selling out the best. Ever since then, my thoughts of the "best" cabin within a given category has differed from HAL's rankings, luckily in my favor most of the time. Regardless, just be aware that what HAL thinks is a "better" cabin may not agree with what you think.
I, personally, would never let HAL choose my cabin. Exactly why I would never book a gty. cabin. Best cabin is the one I know the location and configuration is right for us and then have it flagged "No Upgrades".

After the revision of cabin categories as DaveOKC mentioned above, the VA grade cabins on deck 5 of the Vista class ships, which are supposed to be top of the line veranda cabins, are really partially obstructed. These are the mid-ship cabins on deck 5. The views out of the veranda glass door is fine if you are inside the cabin, looking out. But if you go out on the balcony and stand at the railing and look down, all you see are the tops of the huge orange lifeboats hanging from their davits. If you are interested in watching a band playing on the pier as you sail away, forget it. If you want to check out the school of dolphins swimming alongside the ship, forget it. All you see are lifeboat tops. Pick a higher deck or a deck 5 veranda wither aft or forward of the lifeboats. also, due to the reduces width of the deck in the mid-ships area, the balconies on deck 5 mid-ships are less deep than ones forward or aft. A VA grade cabin upgrade on deck 5 mid-ships for a guarantee may not really be an upgrade.

I, personally, would never let HAL choose my cabin. Exactly why I would never book a gty. cabin. Best cabin is the one I know the location and configuration is right for us and then have it flagged "No Upgrades".

Agree - DO NOT UPGRADE is what I mark my reservation. I still get upsell offers (and often take them) though, so do not be concerned about that if you mark your reservation.

IMO, since HAL is now so aggressive on upsell (paid upgrade) offers, the value of a guarantee has declined, as the upsell process tends to fill up the better cabins prior to the guarantee assignments being made.

Agree - DO NOT UPGRADE is what I mark my reservation. I still get upsell offers (and often take them) though, so do not be concerned about that if you mark your reservation.

IMO, since HAL is now so aggressive on upsell (paid upgrade) offers, the value of a guarantee has declined, as the upsell process tends to fill up the better cabins prior to the guarantee assignments being made.

You're right on with that! Guarantee cabins are not likely to be great cabins once the upsells are finished. I would be on pins and needles waiting for a cabin assignment and that could be right up to sailing date. No thank you.