Advice Needed from Royal Veterans

Hello! I was planning to book a 2019 Western Med sailing out of Civitavecchia this morning, but I have sticker shock! It is a 7-Night cruise on Oasis of the Seas. We could do the same port stops on Oasis sailing from Barcelona for $5,000 less! (I priced out one Central Park View for 2/Ocean View Balcony for 2 on both the Rome and Barcelona sailings.)

So...I need advice from those of you who have experience with Royal ships. To give a bit of background info, we are a family of four, and my kids will be 14 and 17 at sailing. We have sailed with Disney 4 times and NCL Pride of America once. My kids were super excited about the thought of sailing on an Oasis class ship, and I loved the idea of having pre or post cruise time to explore Rome as there's no way to do it justice in one day. This will be our first trip to Europe, so I had planned to do 3-4 days in Rome plus the cruise.

What should I do?

1)Just book it out of Barcelona so the kids can experience Oasis and figure we'll find a way to see Rome more in-depth at another time. (I'm guessing there are fun things to explore in Barcelona pre-cruise--I just already had my brain dreaming about the sights--and foods--of Rome!)

2)Choose a different ship that either starts or stops in Rome with a completely different itinerary. Jewel of the Seas sails out of Rome, mostly to Greece. Would my kids enjoy that ship as much?

3)Sail out of Barcelona on a 12 Night that stops at more places across both Eastern and Western Med (but is still less than the 7 Night out of Rome) and plan to return for longer visits to places we love. However, this is on Vision of the Seas. Is this a ship teens would enjoy?

4)Bail on trying Royal and book NCL Epic out of Rome (same basic itinerary as Oasis) when those sailings are released.

Any advice is appreciated!

Having sailed both the Oasis and the Epic there is no comparison. Oasis wins hands down. We found the Epic very crowded and poorly designed in comparison. We have aslo sailed Allure and loved it too. Wait for a better deal from Royal. Keep checking prices. Your teens will have much more to enjoy on Oasis too.

We sailed the Brilliance (same class as the Jewel) out of Barcelona when our kids were 9 & 12. The ship was a great size, although definitely not the Oasis (which we sail on this Sunday!) I was not excited about Barcelona but we flew in 2 days early to tour and I ended up loving it! Rome is a few hours from Civitavecchia and the only port we booked an excursion through RCCL-we took their chartered bus in and then explored on our own. You won't get the full Rome experience you are dreaming of, but it was still pretty great. I would save the $5,000 and go out of Barcelona. Either way, congrats on a trip of a lifetime!

Haven't done one yet myself, but I have heard that med cruises tend to be very port heavy with long days at port. Not sure the Oasis class would be as big of a difference maker for one of those myself. In the Caribbean, with only 3 ports in 7 nights, it makes a huge difference in what there is to do on the ship.

My family did the Western Med route on Allure two years ago - we did go out of Civitavecchia and spent a couple days in Rome ahead of time. I think you and your kids would love the cruise from either port, but we had the same thought as you - for a first trip to Europe, our boys would love to spend the extra time in Rome. Not to say that Barcelona isn't a great city, BTW.

I might just keep an eye on that cruise for a while and see if one of the RCL specials doesn't lower the price some. I wouldn't hesitate going out of Barcelona, and probably wouldn't pay $5,000 more to go out of Civitavecchia. I don't think your teens would be as interested in Jewel or Vision, although the cruise is very port heavy, so you're not on the ship as much as, say, a Caribbean cruise.

Having sailed both the Oasis and the Epic there is no comparison. Oasis wins hands down. We found the Epic very crowded and poorly designed in comparison. We have aslo sailed Allure and loved it too. Wait for a better deal from Royal. Keep checking prices. Your teens will have much more to enjoy on Oasis too.

This was my gut feeling, so thank you for sharing your experience. Our only NCL cruise was the Pride of America, which is somewhat atypical. But, after four Disney cruises, we were underwhelmed with NCL. Don't get me wrong, we had a great time, but it was not at the same level. I don't expect Royal to be the same as Disney, and now that my kids are older, I don't really want it to be exactly the same, but even though I haven't sailed with Royal, I have done research, and it just seems to have a different feel than NCL.

We sailed the Brilliance (same class as the Jewel) out of Barcelona when our kids were 9 & 12. The ship was a great size, although definitely not the Oasis (which we sail on this Sunday!) I was not excited about Barcelona but we flew in 2 days early to tour and I ended up loving it! Rome is a few hours from Civitavecchia and the only port we booked an excursion through RCCL-we took their chartered bus in and then explored on our own. You won't get the full Rome experience you are dreaming of, but it was still pretty great. I would save the $5,000 and go out of Barcelona. Either way, congrats on a trip of a lifetime!

I definitely feel we should have the $5,000! We can do a lot with that! I'm glad to know you enjoyed Barcelona. I will look into it more. Thank you!

Fly into Barcelona, take the cruise and then fly to Rome for post cruise stay. Intra-European flights can be very inexpensive. We did this 2 years ago when our ship debarked in Athens and we wanted more Rome time. Flights on Alitalia were $66 each for the one way trip. My young teens loved Rome and my niece now says it's her favorite city. I loved Barcelona and wouldn't hesitate to return there too.

How about if you fly to Rome, do your sighseeing for several days, then take a train to Barcelona for the cruise.

As someone who has never traveled in Europe, this didn't cross my mind, but I will look into it! Thank you!

Haven't done one yet myself, but I have heard that med cruises tend to be very port heavy with long days at port. Not sure the Oasis class would be as big of a difference maker for one of those myself. In the Caribbean, with only 3 ports in 7 nights, it makes a huge difference in what there is to do on the ship.

That is definitely something I am trying to think about. We will only have one at-sea day, so we won't be speding long periods of time on the ship. My son will definitely want a basketball/sports court, and both my son and daughter are up for things like rock climbing/flow riding/mini-golfing, etc... But, there won't be enough time to do all of the activities with this itinerary for sure!

Fly into Barcelona, take the cruise and then fly to Rome for post cruise stay. Intra-European flights can be very inexpensive. We did this 2 years ago when our ship debarked in Athens and we wanted more Rome time. Flights on Alitalia were $66 each for the one way trip. My young teens loved Rome and my niece now says it's her favorite city. I loved Barcelona and wouldn't hesitate to return there too.

Are the flights comparable to the cost of a train? Does having luggage raise the prices significantly?

Thanks so much for this suggestion. If we did this, we could see Barcelona on the front end, Rome on the back end, and use the Rome port day to explore something closer to Civitavecchia or have an extra "at-sea" day while others are off the ship.

Are the flights comparable to the cost of a train? Does having luggage raise the prices significantly?

Thanks so much for this suggestion. If we did this, we could see Barcelona on the front end, Rome on the back end, and use the Rome port day to explore something closer to Civitavecchia or have an extra "at-sea" day while others are off the ship.

The cheap flights usually don't include luggage, but taking too much luggage as far as Europe is just not a very good idea. I remember a land trip many years ago, where we each had two large bags and a back pack, and I remember showing up in Venice, and lugging that stuff over multiple bridges going to our hotel. Never again. One checked back and a backpack is the most we take now. I bought my wife a two seat sports car for her birthday almost a decade ago, the trunk was tiny, we took two carry-on bags and a backpack and we travelled all over Germany Austria and Switzerland for 15 nights. You really don't need that much to make it all work.

Back to planes and trains, the pricing will be competitive with each. Flights are quicker, but the trains typically drop you in the center of a city, compared to most airports and in particular the case with Rome where you usually fly to an airport quite a ways away....

JC

You don't want to take the train between Rome and Barcelona it takes 22-24 hours! A short flight is your friend. Our Alitalia flight included 1 checked bag. We also only take a carry-on size suitcase and backpack each anyway.

Do your research and due diligence and you can make this a budget-friendly trip. Get a copy of Rick Steves Mediterranean Cruise Ports. You can DIY all the Med ports very easily if you put in the research time first. We paid about €20 round trip for 4 on the local bus to Pompeii plus the admission while those on excursions paid close to $100 each! Crazysauce.

I have only cruised twice - once on Epic and once on an Oasis ship, and the Epic just didn't compare. I would pay more to be on the Oasis ship between those two choices.

Thank you. I am hearing this from multiple people. Will definitely stick with my decision to try Royal!

The cheap flights usually don't include luggage, but taking too much luggage as far as Europe is just not a very good idea. I remember a land trip many years ago, where we each had two large bags and a back pack, and I remember showing up in Venice, and lugging that stuff over multiple bridges going to our hotel. Never again. One checked back and a backpack is the most we take now. I bought my wife a two seat sports car for her birthday almost a decade ago, the trunk was tiny, we took two carry-on bags and a backpack and we travelled all over Germany Austria and Switzerland for 15 nights. You really don't need that much to make it all work.

Back to planes and trains, the pricing will be competitive with each. Flights are quicker, but the trains typically drop you in the center of a city, compared to most airports and in particular the case with Rome where you usually fly to an airport quite a ways away....

JC

This sounds very doable for everyone in my family except my daughter! She has OCD (real, clinical OCD--not just that she's picky about things), anxiety, and hoarding tendencies. We will have to work on her packing skills between now and then, but I'd say Rome/Europe is a good carrot to hang in front of her for motivation! Thank you for the information!

You don't want to take the train between Rome and Barcelona it takes 22-24 hours! A short flight is your friend. Our Alitalia flight included 1 checked bag. We also only take a carry-on size suitcase and backpack each anyway.

Do your research and due diligence and you can make this a budget-friendly trip. Get a copy of Rick Steves Mediterranean Cruise Ports. You can DIY all the Med ports very easily if you put in the research time first. We paid about €20 round trip for 4 on the local bus to Pompeii plus the admission while those on excursions paid close to $100 each! Crazysauce.

Hooray! I already have the Rick Steves Med Cruise guide, so at least I am doing something right. :')

Sounds like the flight would be a great option. We may have to add few days to our trip if we don't sail out of Rome but want to visit there for a few days. However, for a $5,000 difference, four flights to Rome from Barcelona and an extra travel day or two will be worth it, I'm sure.

Edited by baseballsandbows

You will have a marvelous family vacation full of memories. Our land/cruise Med trip is one of our families all time favorite things we have ever done. Even the things that didn't quite go as planned (because they will happen) did not put a damper on our experience.

We are planning our next big trip to include the British Isles cruise so there is much work to be done for us too.

You will have a marvelous family vacation full of memories. Our land/cruise Med trip is one of our families all time favorite things we have ever done. Even the things that didn't quite go as planned (because they will happen) did not put a damper on our experience.

We are planning our next big trip to include the British Isles cruise so there is much work to be done for us too.

Thank you. British Isles was my pick, but I let my son have first choice as he will be leaving for college not long after. So, it will be the Med in 2019, but hopefully the British Isles in the future!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Barcelona is a beautiful city! It's very easy to take a cruise out of the port. And you save $5,000 that can be used at the end of your cruise to fly to Rome.

Flying into Rome a few days early does't really get you much. Day 1 -- take a Red-eye into Rome; Day 2 -- by the time you get your luggage and get a taxi and checkin to your hotel you'll be exhausted. Dinner. Day 3 -- full day of sight seeing, and not much more than you would get off a ship's excursion. Day 4 -- Morning drive to Civitavecchia port.

You could easily use that $5,000 to fly in to Barcelona a day early. Take your cruise. After 7 days you'll be used to the time change. Then fly to Rome.

One other issue you may not have considered. Travelling in the Med during the summer will be very hot, and very crowded. Flights and hotels will also be more expensive. We have been there 4 times, by far the best weather is early October.

Enjoy!

Barcelona is a beautiful city! It's very easy to take a cruise out of the port. And you save $5,000 that can be used at the end of your cruise to fly to Rome.

Flying into Rome a few days early does't really get you much. Day 1 -- take a Red-eye into Rome; Day 2 -- by the time you get your luggage and get a taxi and checkin to your hotel you'll be exhausted. Dinner. Day 3 -- full day of sight seeing, and not much more than you would get off a ship's excursion. Day 4 -- Morning drive to Civitavecchia port.

You could easily use that $5,000 to fly in to Barcelona a day early. Take your cruise. After 7 days you'll be used to the time change. Then fly to Rome.

One other issue you may not have considered. Travelling in the Med during the summer will be very hot, and very crowded. Flights and hotels will also be more expensive. We have been there 4 times, by far the best weather is early October.

Enjoy!

Thank you. Sadly, we can’t go in October as both kids will be in high school and can’t miss that much. However, they do get out of school for the summer May 23, so we plan to go in late May, which we hope will put us ahead of the worst crowds and heat. My DH and I have big dreams for shoulder season when we get rid of these two kiddos. [emoji23]

Great ideas!

Good points. We had a recent short trip to Dublin and my son and I lost 2.5 days. Half day was passing out once we it yo the hotel (Dh flew in the day before so we had a room waiting for us). Then one day I felt sick until around 7pm and couldn’t rally. Two days later my son slept for 14 hours. Traveling is hard for some of us!

This sounds very doable for everyone in my family except my daughter! She has OCD (real, clinical OCD--not just that she's picky about things), anxiety, and hoarding tendencies. We will have to work on her packing skills between now and then, but I'd say Rome/Europe is a good carrot to hang in front of her for motivation! Thank you for the information!

Rick Steve’s has some sections on his website about packing light. They make for good reading, and maybe it could help her. You’ve definitely got time for her to choose what can help her in Europe AND can also all be carried, by her, when needed.

Hooray! I already have the Rick Steves Med Cruise guide, so at least I am doing something right. :')

Sounds like the flight would be a great option. We may have to add few days to our trip if we don't sail out of Rome but want to visit there for a few days. However, for a $5,000 difference, four flights to Rome from Barcelona and an extra travel day or two will be worth it, I'm sure.

Sounds worth it to me.

Thank you. Sadly, we can’t go in October as both kids will be in high school and can’t miss that much. However, they do get out of school for the summer May 23, so we plan to go in late May, which we hope will put us ahead of the worst crowds and heat. My DH and I have big dreams for shoulder season when we get rid of these two kiddos. [emoji23]

We were in Barcelona/Rome/Venice in early June and the weather was fabulous. And if you are there late May you will certainly miss the crowds. July tends to be the busiest. We had 3 full days in Rome and left feeling like we had missed a lot.

So, the consensus is that we should see Rome AFTER the cruise? Our only jet-lag experience was Hawaii, which is the opposite direction. Sounds like we should arrive to Barcelona at least a day early and do Rome on the tail end? Not sure why, but I was thinking of doing Rome first as after the cruise I might feel the vacation is over and it’s time for home. Don’t know why I lean that way, but it seems that some of you (with experience) feel it would be best to go to Rome at the end.

So, the consensus is that we should see Rome AFTER the cruise? Our only jet-lag experience was Hawaii, which is the opposite direction. Sounds like we should arrive to Barcelona at least a day early and do Rome on the tail end? Not sure why, but I was thinking of doing Rome first as after the cruise I might feel the vacation is over and it’s time for home. Don’t know why I lean that way, but it seems that some of you (with experience) feel it would be best to go to Rome at the end.

To me the cruise always feels like the end of a vacation too and I would be leaning your way. Fly direct to Rome, stay for a few days. Then fly to Barcelona. There is heaps to see/do in Barcelona as well. It's one of the prettiest cities that I've been to, the Gaudi architecture/influence is amazing. If you can manage 2 nights there pre-cruise, you won't regret it :)

If Rome is important do not do it first. You will be jet lagged. First day after all night flight then getting to hotel, etc. It is always a job to try to stay awake long enough to start getting adapted to being 5 or 6 time zones from normal. Normally, when I arrive I am exhausted and want to sleep the entire time I need to be awake, then when I give in to sleep, I am completely awake. Best possible advice is try to stay awake until at least 7 or 8 PM locally in Europe. You will probably wake up in the middle of the night, but after the second day you should be exhausted enough to sleep through the night. After that you should be good to go.

JC