ALASKA Recommendation ?

sidari

We are looking at an Alaska cruise next year in either May or September possibly cruising again on the Ruby from Seattle, we are unsure which is the best route in terms of Glacier Bay, Tracy Arm Fjord or Hubbard Glacier.

For those of you who have sailed these areas which would you recommend ?

Thanks ... :D

Glacier Bay for sure. For me it's one of the two "must do" attractions in Alaska, the other being Denali National Park. Tracy Arm is nice, but it can be touch and go for whether you can enter, and there's really only Sawyer and South Sawyer Glaciers in there.

I think Hubbard you would only get on a one-way cruise. If you can do a one-way cruise, that is my strong preference over a round trip, because it allows you to tack on a land-tour to Denali.

Hi there! Posting not only as a fellow cruiser but also as someone who has lived in AK for 30 years and has had a boat in Whittier harbor for the last 20 years. Would definitely go with Glacier Bay. Also, my personal preference would be May if the choice needed to be May or Sept.

Hi Guys ... Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, we have booked Seattle to Vancouver which will be our 3rd Ruby cruise, for September 2019 which includes Glacier Bay.

We were hoping to sail on the Grand from San-Francisco but my other half cannot be off work on the 3rd of September and the 13th sailing does not go to Glacier bay.

Looking forward to being back on the Ruby once again, annoyed that we cannot sail on the Grand 10 nighter.

Glacier Bay.

Also, if you can, go to Juneau for whale watching with Marv and Harv.

Absolutely sensational 8 people on the boat and we got close to so many whales, seals and eagles it was incredible.

I second this! We have been to Alaska in both May and September. Last May the weather was absolutely perfect (except of course rainy Ketchikan!); the September cruise was more overcast. The day in Glacier Bay was cold but not severe. We were out all day enjoying the sights.

And yes, we did the Harv and Marv small boat -- lucked out that day! There were supposed to be 4 others with us but they didn't show. Fantastic experience! Ask for Capt. Liz. Have a wonderful trip. And as an aside, take the Coral -- my favorite Princess ship.

Hi there! Posting not only as a fellow cruiser but also as someone who has lived in AK for 30 years and has had a boat in Whittier harbor for the last 20 years. Would definitely go with Glacier Bay. Also, my personal preference would be May if the choice needed to be May or Sept.

As a fellow Alaskan, I agree - go in May!