Please help - ? on phone and internet

Hi there -

I am going on my 2nd RC cruise next week on Brilliance out of Tampa. I am in the middle of major job interviews (I was laid off a few weeks ago and REALLY need some good news stat).

With that said, I prepurchased the VOOM. I know I can use Messenger and Facebook etc - but can I access my Gmail and Yahoo mail apps on my phone??

ALSO - I NEVER use my phone for calls on a cruise but I am now worried incase they call while I am onboard and I need to do some negotiating. I have ATT. I am only on a 4 day cruise so would need the phone for Thursday and Friday only.

I have been in major interviews for almost 3 months and fly out next Tuesday for an interview in Chicago. So I could potentially be hearing back Thurs or Friday ugggg.

Please help!! I need a job so I can go on more cruises!! TIA :)

Wow - you can make calls?? If its on Airplane mode and someone calls me, I can answer as well?

Test it out now at home.

Go into settings and turn off cell data.

Turn on "wifi calling".

Put the phone in airplane mode.

Call yourself from your land line.

:)

Test it out now at home.

Go into settings and turn off cell data.

Turn on "wifi calling".

Put the phone in airplane mode.

Call yourself from your land line.

:)

Also turn on WiFi overall.

With an iPhone, WiFi calling is under settings, cellular.

So airplane mode on, WiFi on, WiFi calling on. Then you can call and get calls via WiFi.

Amazing! I had no idea this was an option. You all saved me! I was going to call ATT and add the $50.00 plan to get calls. I guess I don't understand why they charge that if this is free. I am probably opening up another can of worms. I thought I was pretty tech savvy but man I am officially lagging behind. You all saved me!

Thank you so much - Hopefully I get GOOD news!! I need it :hearteyes:

Remember you will have to set up WiFi calling on your phone.

Since 911 can not recognize wifi calling you will have to fill out in your address to enable it.

Don't worry about being out of the area it's just part of the process.

I use wifi calling when we travel pretty easy .

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

Amazing! I had no idea this was an option. You all saved me! I was going to call ATT and add the $50.00 plan to get calls. I guess I don't understand why they charge that if this is free. I am probably opening up another can of worms. I thought I was pretty tech savvy but man I am officially lagging behind. You all saved me!

It’s not “free” since you have to pay for WiFi. The $50 calling plan would be ok for someone who wasn’t getting Voom and had to use cellular to call.

Remember also that when you phone is connected via WiFi calling, the cell company charges as if you are in your home calling area. So, for example, if you are on WiFi calling in Cozumel and you make a call to some local number in Cozumel, you will be charged as if you are calling from home.

You MUST enable wifi calling the first time while you are connected to your cellular network.

So do it from home or work NOW, so you don't forget.

I use wifi calling at home, as the cell signal at my house (somewhat in the country) is not the best.

You can also get a 30 day ATT international plan, to have calling, texting, and data while in port.

Most cell phones these days not only can handle calls through wifi but may actually prefer it. Ours can be set to wifi only, wifi preferred, cell preferred or cell only. But I did have to specify a "location" for 911 the first time I set wifi calling up and it took a few tries to get it to work. You need to get this working before adding the complexity of logging into the ship network. At least my phone remembered the ship passcode so once I got it working it would work again later. Once you get it working on the ship wifi netwrok have your husband call your cell number before you leave the port.