Empress of the Seas Cabins- too warm ?

RoyalC

I've read several reviews that stated the Cabins on Empress are too warm?

Anyone with recent experience on this? We can't sleep well, or shower and

dress for dinner, if the room is not cold enough. Any guess on what the temperature

is in Fahrenheit in these cabins?

I'm thinking about an inside cabin for a Cuba cruise in October.

Also, same question for public rooms- too warm? I remember sailing the Legend

a few years back and public areas were terribly warm. Hated formal night.

Also, do people dress up on any nights? I know there are not any formal nights.

Thanks

My wife and I were just on Empress for 4 nights to Cuba in July. Regarding our OV cabin (#7510), we both noticed that it seemed warmer than expected on days 1 and 2. We had the thermostat turned to the coldest setting, and while it was not as cold as we typically prefer, it was nonetheless comfortable for most of the cruise. I don't recall anything unusual with regard to the temperature of the public spaces, so perhaps its a "no news/good news" situation there.

Regarding attire... as you already mentioned, Empress has no formal nights. As was also noted, the dress codes are merely suggestions for all RCI ships anyway, but I think the ship just had a more laid-back feel to go along with it in general. I still saw people in suits and nice dresses going to dinner (no tuxes!). No rhyme or reason as to when people might dress up, just whenever they feel like it. My wife likes to dress up for the evenings, but I don't typically like to worry about it while I'm on vacation. She didn't bring evening gowns, but a few nice dresses... I brought long pants for dinner, but mostly just along with plain/solid t-shirts. The one thing we like about cruises is really nothing looks out of place (within reason, I suppose). Wear what you like!

The Empress is an old ship, but we had a great time. Not sure exactly what it was, but it is really competing for our favorite cruise so far. (Although it partly had something to do with our prior cruise on Anthem being the first time bringing Son #1 as a 1.5 year old, whereas this time we left him and now Son #2 with grandma and grandpa!) Cuba was a great time, but just our time on board we seemed to enjoy even more than usual.

Dress codes are suggestions and not enforced.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm well aware of that. I am simply asking if people "dress up." I normally do on a few nights,

but if no one else does, we will leave the more formal clothes at home.

My wife and I were just on Empress for 4 nights to Cuba in July. Regarding our OV cabin (#7510)' date=' we both noticed that it seemed warmer than expected on days 1 and 2. We had the thermostat turned to the coldest setting, and while it was not as cold as we typically prefer, it was nonetheless comfortable for most of the cruise. I don't recall anything unusual with regard to the temperature of the public spaces, so perhaps its a "no news/good news" situation there.

Regarding attire... as you already mentioned, Empress has no formal nights. As was also noted, the dress codes are merely suggestions for all RCI ships anyway, but I think the ship just had a more laid-back feel to go along with it in general. I still saw people in suits and nice dresses going to dinner (no tuxes!). No rhyme or reason as to when people might dress up, just whenever they feel like it. My wife likes to dress up for the evenings, but I don't typically like to worry about it while I'm on vacation. She didn't bring evening gowns, but a few nice dresses... I brought long pants for dinner, but mostly just along with plain/solid t-shirts. The one thing we like about cruises is really nothing looks out of place (within reason, I suppose). Wear what you like!

The Empress is an old ship, but we had a great time. Not sure exactly what it was, but it is really competing for our favorite cruise so far. (Although it partly had something to do with our prior cruise on Anthem being the first time bringing Son #1 as a 1.5 year old, whereas this time we left him and now Son #2 with grandma and grandpa!) Cuba was a great time, but just our time on board we seemed to enjoy even more than usual.[/quote']

Thank you for the reply. This helps. Anyone else want to chime in about the cabin temps please do.

I'm well aware of that. I am simply asking if people "dress up." I normally do on a few nights,

but if no one else does, we will leave the more formal clothes at home.

Sure, you will have some dress up. Go for it. Dress how it pleases you. It’s your vacation.

My family & I were on the July 26 4-nighter on Empress. Regarding room temp, when we boarded it seemed warm, but after the sail away it was nice & cool for the rest of the cruise. Our room was 3rd floor interior with 4 people in the room. Enjoy your cruise!!

I've read several reviews that stated the Cabins on Empress are too warm?

Anyone with recent experience on this? We can't sleep well, (I understand this statement) or shower and

dress for dinner, if the room is not cold enough. (However, I don't understand this statement. You can't shower if it is too warm in the room? You can't get dressed if it is hot outside? ) Any guess on what the temperature is in Fahrenheit in these cabins?

A normal interior temperature is around 74. I understand that many people like air conditioning to be below 70 but that is seldom the case. Pretty much on any ship. I did not find the Empress to be warm, but my house is set at 78, and my office is at 74.

I'm thinking about an inside cabin for a Cuba cruise in October.

Also, same question for public rooms- too warm? I remember sailing the Legend

a few years back and public areas were terribly warm.

Normal temperature is mid 70's. If you set your thermostat in your house at 65, than it will be warm. For me, it was comfortable.

Hated formal night.

Also, do people dress up on any nights? I know there are not any formal nights.

Thanks

People dress up when they want to. No formal night. Personally, I never go out to dinner in shorts when I have the ability, and easy access to a place to change.

I was on the Empress in July and the room was a bit warmer than I prefer. I read the reviews beforehand and bought a battery powered travel fan and it was perfect.

What fan did you purchase? I see many options available, but some of the better ones are larger and heavier.

I normally keep my condo at 70 with a light ceiling fan running at bedtime.

We went in July on Empress in 2016 and our cabin 4140 was warm. Finally would cool off about midnight. I will say I dressed less than normal to be able to sleep.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

We were on Empress 7/16 in cabin 7511. We found the cabin very warm, as did most people on that hallway. We spoke with maintenance several times, and in the end, the solution was they provided a fan for the cabin. If your brought your own fan, it would get you a trip to the naughty room! She is an itty bitty old ship, (IBOS for short), but charming and very easy to walk from end to end!