Old Town Trolley tour Boston?

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:21 PM.
west virginia
182 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Originally posted by chengkp75
Yes, the HOHO runs more trolleys in the peak season, but there are more people looking to use it as well. I don't recommend it to anyone, particularly on a cruise port day, as you will spend all of your limited time waiting on a trolley.

My suggestion, and I know Carol (138 East) says this as well, is to take a cab all the way to the end of the Trail, at the Constitution in the Charlestown Navy Yard. This will run $25-35 depending on traffic. This also gets you on to the Constitution before most of the crowd. Then walk the trail back, stopping as you go for whatever interests you, skipping the others, have lunch in the North End (avoid most of the Quincy Market restaurants unless you want fast food in Faneuil Hall), and if you get all the way back to the Common, a cab back to the Terminal would be about $15-20.
Thanks so much for the information. It really helps. I am assuming there are plenty of taxis at the port? Probably a stupid question!!! Lol
Maine or at sea
13,930 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by trrn2016
Thanks so much for the information. It really helps. I am assuming there are plenty of taxis at the port? Probably a stupid question!!! Lol
When a ship is in, there will be plenty.
Boston area
20,622 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by chengkp75
Yes, the HOHO runs more trolleys in the peak season, but there are more people looking to use it as well. I don't recommend it to anyone, particularly on a cruise port day, as you will spend all of your limited time waiting on a trolley.

My suggestion, and I know Carol (138 East) says this as well, is to take a cab all the way to the end of the Trail, at the Constitution in the Charlestown Navy Yard. This will run $25-35 depending on traffic. This also gets you on to the Constitution before most of the crowd. Then walk the trail back, stopping as you go for whatever interests you, skipping the others, have lunch in the North End (avoid most of the Quincy Market restaurants unless you want fast food in Faneuil Hall), and if you get all the way back to the Common, a cab back to the Terminal would be about $15-20.
That's pretty much what I did in Sep when a friend had a port day on the Anthem. We took a cab to the Constitution for $25 (long route - a bit high), then the MBTA water taxi to Long Wharf ($3.50)(much better than the walking route and nice view of the upper harbor skyline), walked through Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, and walked the Trail backwards to the Boston Common. Took the Red Line ($2.75) at Park St two stops to South Station where helped my friend transfer to the Silver Line SL2 bus back to Black Falcon and then took the Red Line the other way back to my car.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carol