Question re: Promenade Deck on Konigsdam/Nieuw Statendam

ellieanne

I know there aren't loungers on the wrap-around Promenade Deck on the Konigsdam, but is there space to stand and look out, especially at the activity on the dock as the ship is leaving port? I can't really tell from the deck plan.

I'm not a deck chair sitter, and as long as you can do laps on the Promenade Deck in the morning, I'm pretty happy. But I do love to stand at the railing and watch the ship sail into or out of ports. The activity on the dock is very interesting to me.

deckpromenadeb.gif

Wherever you see the long white spaces on each side of the ship is where you will have lifeboats blocking the view. By the midships Grand Dutch Cafe and Front office the view will be open .

Also toward the bow and the stern there are open areas. Not sure how much of that is cutout in the steel and how much is open railing.

I don't know where but there are pictures posted on what the promenade deck looks like. There is room to do your walk around, enjoy. Maybe somebody out there can point you in the right direction.

Allan

You can walk entirely around the promenade deck. There is room to stand at the aft and watch the sea. Portions of the deck on the walk around is narrow, wide enough for only one person to walk. Other than the aft and either side of the aft, the lifeboats block any standing and viewing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know where but there are pictures posted on what the promenade deck looks like. There is room to do your walk around, enjoy. Maybe somebody out there can point you in the right direction.

Allan

Yes, it was on another thread a little while back. I have some of those pictures in my files, but I am having difficulty posting them

Also used the search function and that was useless finding them.

Edited by Tinknock50

There are standing areas.

Port side forward of lifeboats

a2c77d.jpg

Near Guest Services

2lm5uhe.jpg

Along MDR

346rwyh.jpg

Stern

1zp3892.jpg

There are a few wooden benches ... two or three each side IIRC ... but I don't remember how the view was from them.

Edited by catl331

a2c77d.jpg

Near Guest Services

2lm5uhe.jpg

Along MDR

346rwyh.jpg

Stern

1zp3892.jpg

There are a few wooden benches ... two or three each side IIRC ... but I don't remember how the view was from them.

Thanks cat....did you find any pics showing the lifeboat areas? Edited by Tinknock50

Why would they not have the deck loungers on the nicer, more open, areas of the Promenade?

On Princess, they do not have a wrap around Promenade, but they do have nice areas, with seating, etc..

We are sailing on the Regal Princess later this year. ( Gorgeous ship - HAL could take design/decor notes )

And, I am looking into a future Med. cruise on the HAL new-build.

Why would they not have the deck loungers on the nicer, more open, areas of the Promenade?
There are only a few places that are barely wide enough. In an actual emergency they would be a problem, much more than on pre-Kdam ships.

We spent time on the Promenade when we cruised Alaska a couple years ago...

It wasn't that busy there....

Went to the higher decks when we finally reached the glaciers up in Glacier Bay...

MUCH better viewpoint at that height!

Not as busy is another plus for a good promenade. Some ships seem a lot more protected in bad weather there too.

a2c77d.jpg

Near Guest Services

2lm5uhe.jpg

Along MDR

346rwyh.jpg

Stern

1zp3892.jpg

Thank you. This is what I was hoping to see. I don't really care about sitting, just being able to see the activity on the dock -- tying up, letting loose the lines, putting on and taking off the rat baffles, pulling in the gangway, etc. I love to watch that kind of activity -- or even the crew working on the ship during the day at port. As long as there is somewhere to stand and watch sail-in and sailaway, I'm a happy cruiser.

• Like 1

We spent time on the Promenade when we cruised Alaska a couple years ago...

It wasn't that busy there....

Went to the higher decks when we finally reached the glaciers up in Glacier Bay...

MUCH better viewpoint at that height!

I'm sure the higher decks are better for scenery & scenic cruising, but for activity on the dock, I find the lower down and closer to the dock is better. I was hoping the newer ships left a bit of viewing space on the Promenade decks, even if there wasn't room for lounge chairs.

• 3 years later...