and so it begins.....RTW16

cbb

2 books = 60 pages each book & approx 5-7 pictures per page.

The two of us took approx 60,000 pictures total. Two passes through the pictures gave us 8000 "good" pictures and of those we narrowed it down to 2000 and those are the ones that i choose from to use on social media of our group and in the books.

Kept Mr. Wonderful busy! He'd make a pass through each of that day's pictures most nights. He knows how to do Photoshop and is now learning how to do additional tweaking of the photos with layering, etc...cool stuff!

already some ATW16 are taking "reunion cruise" ATW19 and some are talking of taking several segments of ATW19. Unbelievable experience! Many of us "talk" several times a week.

Thanks.

I find choosing the right pictures the most difficult challenge and often just put it off "for later" :D

PaulChili--

yeah, it's a no-brainer to delete the photo of the guy with the telephone pole coming out of his head, or of the south end of a giraffe, or of the 4x4 that suddenly swerves and you get a blurry picture --not an artistic one either!!!!

It's the decision between 2 "good" pictures that takes up the time. Mr Wonderful was pretty disciplined about sitting down and going through the pictures every day.

I'd usually go off and find something else on board to do--usually Trivia...then I could come back and regale him with stories from Trivia and/or Ray Carr stories!!!

It is so nice to see this thread is still alive.

I haven't been on CC for quite awhile, I have been taking extended land vacations. I will be travelling 1 month around China in Sept. so I will look back at your travel log to see what you posted about your visit there. I really enjoyed reading both CBB & Wayntor's RTW posts, so beautifully written and informative.

I look forward to read about your next adventures.

our next adventures start this December with a circumnavigation of Australia. Then in April-May'18 we're doing Mumbai-Rome and then perhaps staying in Italy and touring by train for a few weeks. October '18 we're doing a week around Cuba --all of these cruises with Oceania.

we're waiting to see what the 2019 itineraries will be since I want to go back to Asia and see more of Japan, China, and South Korea, maybe down to Vietnam again. If I can't put together a B2B that i like then we'll do Asian segments of ATW19.

(Mr. Wonderful is cool with all of this!)

canuck.qc--

y'all have been able to visit Cuba forever.....we Americans finally have our chance. Big deal especially when we live ~90 miles away!!

South Africa and a river cruise and extended time in Cape Town may replace Asian tours!

• 1 year later...

PaulChili--the best memories!!!

There are a bunch of us on social media (the one where the CEO testified to Congress) and we "talk" several times a week-and it's been 2 years since we came back to Miami.

A big bunch of them are doing ATW19 and a bunch are doing ATW20 and several of the '19 people are doing segments on '20. We just like each other!

Trying to talk newly-retired Capt Flokos and wife into going on segments with us as well as encouraging GM, CD, Chef, and Ambassador and some entertainment staff to lobby for a contract for '20. Just an amazing cruise.

• 3 months later...
On 6/10/2016 at 10:21 PM, cbb said:

Wednesday June 8, 2016 Day 158

Erring on the side of safety, we chose a shorex for Lahaina, Maui yesterday.

I wanted to sail and snorkel sometime while we were in Hawaii and this would be a good port to do this. We chose one called "Trilogy West Maui Snorkel Sail"-- a 4 hour sail.

We figured that whatever company O used for a shorex had to meet stringent safety requirements and had to take it easy if there were winds present....which there were later in the morning...no speed allowed!

The Trilogy West people have more than one or two catamarans; our captain told us that they had 10 boats in their fleet and were a local company. I pass this info on so that if you want to do DIY/private tours you'll have the name of one company.

I liked what I saw. The ships were clean, modern, and very well cared for. The crew were young healthy men perfectly capable of diving in to save anyone for whatever reason. They were very ecologically conscious...for which I was grateful.

They did not sail far from the dock where we had tendered in before the Captain shut down everything and went through the safety drill and other items of business that we needed to know.

One of the crew then brought around pineapple juice or water as well as trays of sliced oranges and pineapple and of course, they were wonderful.

Also offered were trays of banana bread which was very good! The fruit and banana bread were then left in the galley and they were gone by lunch time! Everything tastes better at sea!

One of the older ladies asked the guys if their girlfriends baked the banana bread...the indignant reply was "I can bake!"....and yes, he can!

We sailed for about 45 minutes until we anchored offshore in a fairly sheltered bend in the coast and just looking over the railings we could see sponges and coral and turtles...we had arrived at a great spot.

Again, he went over all of the safety things we needed to know, including the requirement to wear some sort of flotation device. Two types were offered; one was a type of overhead life jacket for the advanced snorklers and for the others a banana colored thick belt.

The Captain said that 40 of us were on board and that there were 88 life jackets so in case of an incident at sea we could each have 2 jackets!

One of the snorklers was refused entry into the water until he donned his flotation device and when he said "oh really" in a fairly patronizing voice the reply was "I'm the Captain, and on my ship you will wear flotation or you don't snorkel." He snorkeled!

The visibility was excellent, the sponges and coral looked wonderfully healthy, and I saw about 6 types of fish where we were anchored. A word about anchoring; one of the crew donned mask and fins and hand carried the anchor line to the concrete pad, tied up, and surfaced--one breath! Remarkable!!

I saw black durgon, sergeant majors, and others I need to identify. The black durgon against the colored sponges and coral was beautiful and sometimes I'd see orange sea stars nestled into crevices of the coral...gorgeous!

After snorkeling, and back on board we were offered trays of wraps including tuna, veggie, turkey, and chicken salad as well as a variety of drinks, including local beer. Several people had seconds on both!

Then one of the crew pulled up the tethering ropes, the sails were unwrapped, and off we sailed. Eventually the motors were turned off and we just glided through the water and enjoyed the sea and the sun.

I didn't find out the name of the musical group whose music we listened to, but just from the lyrics I assumed it was a Hawaiian band. If it was, that is very cool of Trilogy West to support local music.

You do need to know that if the ship heads into water that is showing a little chop that the ride could be too much for motion-sensitive people. Mr. Wonderful did. not. do. well. on this excursion, but he lived!

Hawaii is so beautiful and so many of us of a 'certain age' need to get out of their comfort zone and try something new.

I have snorkeled many times before but never in Maui and I had vowed, sitting in the comfort of my chair at home, that I would sail and snorkel. I have gotten to fulfill my vow now 4 times with one more to come in Mexico.

I'm so glad we decided to get on a catamaran, to sail out of port and to see the islands, the magnificent islands of Hawaii, from the sea.

Even if you don't snorkel, just being on the water and seeing the scenery not from a bus or a car or from a sidewalk is so worth it. Go to sea!

We have snorkeled on Trilogy before and they are wonderful. Heartily recommend them!