and so it begins.....RTW16

cbb

Another "fan" who will deeply miss your wonderful reports!:( I have looked forward to reading the postings as soon as they appeared in my "subscribed" mails, and will probably now suffer withdrawal symptoms. (Not to be compared, however, with your pending withdrawal symptoms!)

Thanks for letting us join you and Mr. Wonderful in your journey around the world....

Cynthia,

Another thank you from someone now "thinking" about RTW in 2019. Your posts have been beautifully written and inspirational. Now if only I could find someone doing the 2018 RTW that needs a live in pet sitter so they could take care of mine in 2019 ;)

Hard to believe you have graciously brought us along on your journey for 176 days. Safe travels for the rest of your adventure. It's been a "Lovely Cruise" (acknowledgement to Jimmy Buffet).

Diane

Cynthia,

Another grateful thank you for your wonderful journal - enjoyed traveling along with you and will miss the updates.

Enjoy the last bit of your cruise and safe travels home.

PS What are you going to get with all those Big O points? :D

Sunday June 26, 2016 Day 176

I was up this morning before 6am so that I wouldn't miss anything outside as we began our journey through the Panama Canal. The sunrise was glorious as we awaited the first of our pilots to board.

We had transited the Canal before but from the Caribbean to the Pacific so this would be a new way of viewing it.

I think our first pilot boarded around 6:30 and all day, various pilots assumed responsibility for their portion of the Canal transit.

A small tug boat came to the starboard side and men handed off styrofoam containers into the hold of our ship; others launched mesh bags filled with limes, zucchinis, and onions into the hold--hopefully someone in there played catcher!

I saw Chef Farid later in the day and asked him if he had "gone fishing" and he said he rejected the fish in the styrofoam coolers..."no good, no good." He's in hopes he'll be able to get some he likes tomorrow in Colombia.

As we sailed through and I looked at various parts of the Canal I was blown away and oh so proud of what Americans did in this construction project.

Great engineering, ingenuity, hard work, working with the jungle instead of trying to destroy it, and most of all, working to conqueror yellow fever and malaria which benefited others around the world....extraordinary work by dedicated men....with no graft or corruption.

The truly amazing thing is that today we went through a locks and dam system that is 102 years old and for the most part we progressed through the canal as ships did 102 years ago...just....wow!!

Absolutely amazing that it was completed 2 years ahead of schedule and under budget. Imagine trying to get 2 branches of government today to work together to build something like the Panama Canal!!!

Our guide through history and through the Canal was Antonio and in a question and answer session at noon in the Lounge he said that Insignia paid ~$160,000 (including slot auction) to go through the Canal today.

Slot auction is a reservation system that allows a ship to pay an additional cost so that it can transit on the day it arrives during daylight hours.

Today is the inauguration of the new locks built for what is now being called "neopanamax" or really big ships! These ships have a length of more than 966 feet or a beam of more than 107 feet.

We saw lots of tour buses headed towards the new locks and the 15 largest customers were to nominate a ship and then a drawing was held earlier in the year to determine what ship would go through first today....not us since we are too small--we're just panamax.

A Chinese container ship, the Cosco Panama was the ship chosen to go through first today and we saw her pass us going from the Caribbean Sea to the Pacific Ocean but did not hear the brass bands or speeches.

The expansion project was a Panamanian project, took 10 years and $5.4 billion and 40,000 workers to complete. The canal is much wider than the original one and mostly runs parallel to it.

Insignia's staff did a great job today of encouraging an easy-going day. There were plenty of yummy breakfast goodies in Horizons for those ensconced in the big chairs watching out the big windows.

Others of us patrolled both sides of Deck 9 hoping for a great picture or marveling at the sights and a water station was set up for us there. Later several passengers tried something called "siesta!" with great success.

The Boutique staff set up a table with Panama Canal tee shirts, Panamanian men's shirts, magnets, key chains, a few small vases, and some Panamanian hats.

Hats were still there when I left, but a scrum of women took care of the rest! (I did score 2 tiny vases handmade in Panama but I was there when they had just finished unpacking...that whole right place, right time thing!)

Ray Carr and a staff guy with a video camera got off the ship around 7 so that they could film Insignia going down the Canal. We cheered and waved as we went by the camera and then somehow a couple of hours later, cheered and waved at he and the camera guy again!

He climbed back on board about 5pm, with the camera guy, and said something about needing a shower....I guess so!

It was hot and muggy today and periodically the skies threatened to rain on us. Several passengers said it was their first time through the Canal without getting wet and we worldlies said it was our luck coming through again!

We have been so fortunate in our weather for the past 6 months. As I said before, I can count on one hand the days we were rained on in port. Perhaps it is climate change or perhaps it is our RTW luck!!

Dinner tonight was Around the World buffet in Terrace and I think every table was filled. Some of the staff wore clothing from their home countries and they all looked pretty fabulous...and thrilled with the attention.

What a terrific day and evening we've had. Tomorrow is Cartagena, Colombia and we hope to dock at 10 am. All aboard is for 4:30, then 2 days at sea, then Key West for a day, then home to Miami.

It doesn't seem possible that we're almost finished with our cruise so I'm going to take a shower and resolutely refuse to think about it...so good night from somewhere in the Caribbean Sea.

You all are the nicest people...thank you for the lovely words.

It has been a wonderful trip and I encourage everyone who is thinking of going Around the World to go for it.

There were a few people who were grumpy when they got on but I think they've mellowed...either that or I have become adept at avoiding them!

We received a letter today from Victor, the General Manager, saying that he had heard many of us would like to cruise again Around the World in 2019. He suggests that we call it a "family reunion" and I agree.

I'm pretty sure you won't regret going, but you might regret not going. Go!

Monday, June 27, 2016 Day 177

We just returned from Cartagena, Colombia (it is pronounced "Car tah hey nah"--just trying to help after hearing passengers butcher the pronunciation!) and I have to say that this was THE SURPRISE PORT OF THE ENTIRE CRUISE.

I had heard about Cartagena and violence and drug cartels for so many years and I must say I wasn't looking forward to it. Why here, I wondered?

Cartagena has a huge modern city (New Town) filled with sky scrapers and appeared as a mirage when we sailed in to port.

Oceania had a shuttle bus for us and needed 3 of them to meet the immediate demand. There were shorex for this port but many of us seemed to want to just get out and walk around.

Before you board locate the little hut with a beautiful young woman who will hand you a city map.

Cartagena's Old Town is a great old walled city and when we left the shuttle we walked through the arched openings of the wall and were amazed at what we saw.

One of the ship's staff had been here 20 years ago and was dumbfounded at the changes since then.

Today he went into Old Town and he and the driver discussed the differences between then and now. When he was here the streets were dirty, the buildings were falling down, and there were few people on the streets and the ones that were seemed to be beggars.

Today, the town is just about perfect. The people are so sweet, take no for an answer, yet some of their offerings are worth buying. I never once felt unsafe and as a smaller woman I never felt swarmed or had my personal space invaded.

I saw several women buying bracelets and necklaces from some of the men and women vendors. I bought 2 pairs of earrings from 2 different stalls so that was fun for me and will be a great memory for me every time I put them on.

Not being sure of the Old Town since we had never been here, we decided to leave the big cameras on board, took no back packs or bags and wore tee shirts and shorts and sneakers.

The streets are old cobblestone and uneven so I was glad I had worn good sturdy shoes...and closed toed ones at that!

We walked on top of part of the walls which was a great way to see the sea, walls, and the old buildings from a different perspective. (again, good thing I was wearing sturdy shoes)

There are gorgeous doors at almost every building, many colors of bougainvillea and other flowers hanging down from balconies, wrought iron everywhere, including over the windows (both for safety and beauty) and very very clean streets.

The buildings all appear to be freshly painted so there is pale yellow next to aqua, followed by terra cotta, white, blue, pink, with white or wooden trim. The wooden trim all appears to have just been oiled so everything you see is just really stunning.

If you come, don't just stay at the Cathedral or the Santo Domingo church area. Stretch your legs some and go see Las Bovedas and the Plaza de los Coches ( former slave market, now a place for horse-drawn carriages.)

See the beautiful Clock Tower, Simon Bolivar's statue and park, visit the little gardens and parks tucked into areas and turn down side streets.

The side streets have artisan shops besides just the tourist offerings. One side of the Plaza de Stanto Domingo had all sorts of street vendors but also contained the magnificent church. We didn't enter because noon mass was being celebrated but not far away was Gertrudis.

Gertrudis is a well-endowed reclining nude sculpture and the young guys would take selfies or have friends take pictures while they cupped part of her....boys will be boys all over the world!!!

One of the parts of the town I enjoyed most was at the Plaza de San Pedro where scrap iron parts were made into sculptures. One woman was using a sewing machine, 4 men were playing dominoes, 2 were playing chess (the chess board itself was awesome) as well as several other sculptures.

Please try to find them you will love them. The Museum of Modern Art is located here which should help you locate the sculptures called "Las Chattaras" or "scrap iron" on the map.

We decided to return to the ship for a late lunch as the need for a shower and getting out of the heat and sun won over having lunch in Old Town. However, there were many interesting places to have lunch or grab coffee or ice cream.

Someday, if you have the opportunity to visit Cartagena be excited about having it on your itinerary and getting to see the Old Town. It is wonderful and maybe you too will think it is the surprise of your cruise!

I remember booking a cruise way back that had Cartagena as a port, but by the time we embarked the cruise, it had been removed from the itinerary. In 2007 we succeeded in getting to Cartagena and loved the city's Old Town as we meandered around with a private Guide. A few years ago we returned for a second visit and really enjoyed touring Old Town on our own, but this time we also went up to La Popa Monastery. The taxi stand outside the port has lots of taxis -- some offer tours, others just transportation. Both have set prices (less expensive returning to the port if you hail a cab). The views of the city from the Monastery are fantastic. Another place that is great to visit is the fortress. Hope this info helps those who are monitoring this thread for ideas of things to do in Cartagena on future RTW sailings.

Thanks so much to you and to Waynetor for sharing these wonderful experiences! (I hope this doesn't show up twice as it seemed to disappear as I was writing it!) I have so enjoyed your reports and would love one day to follow in your footsteps but I don't think that is likely. I am very jealous of the thought of spending so many days at sea with such wonderful comrades.

I will be one of the people boarding the Insignia in Miami for the next segment--Northern Crossing (only 18 days). We are going from Miami to Reykjavik and I am so excited I am having trouble focusing on work where I will be until Thursday. Is there anything you would share about the ship--special places on the ship, special events, special staff for whom we should be grateful! Did you leave it in good shape for us--no doubt as both of you are so caring of others that I know we are lucky to be following you.

Thanks again for sharing your trip. You have done a remarkable job and I am so looking forward to the Insignia starting on Friday.

Kathy

kathy,

just a brief reply....i hope to finish this written journey with a few thoughts on special people, and maybe just a few little tips.

Just because we've been on for a while doesn't mean I have any more insight into cool places on board than anyone else!

I love Reykjavik and wish I was seeing it again. The Blue Lagoon is fabulous and fun to do, and the southeastern coast line is gorgeous; I envy you!

I want to add my thanks to you and Wayne for sharing your adventure with us! I have found myself anxiously waiting for each installment so I don't know what I will do when your cruise ends ☺️. Your details and descriptions have convinced me that I want to visit areas I have not previously considered and my sister and I have already booked one such cruise!

Thank you again! Smooth seas and calm winds for the remainder of your journey.

Charlotte

Joining all the other posters in saying..…….

Thanks for taking us along on this exceptional World Cruise journey (literally so for our 71 days on board Miami to Singapore.) What a long time it seems since those early days on the roll call, all the planning, and chit- chat, and excitement. And how impressive were the wonderfully positive “refugees” from the cancelled inaugural 2015 World Cruise who dusted themselves off after such a great disappointment – and started organising all over again!

Don’t be sad it’s ending. You’ve had some extraordinary life-changing experiences, made some excellent friends, and you have so much to process now. When you get home there is the wonderful feeling of hugging family and friends again, and catching up with all the little things that didn’t get communicated by email or phone while you were gone.

But be warned from our experience - they make excuses and melt away when you offer to show your thousands of photos.

You’ll definitely be very busy for a while catching up to date with stuff at home ….and Mr Wonderful of course has his picture books project.

And then you’ll find - it is time to start researching the next trip….

Hugs… d & d

boerneDQ--thank you so much for your lovely compliments and I encourage you to travel to new places and thoroughly enjoy being with your sister. If nothing else, this cruise has taught me to enjoy each day and never ever take for granted that the person you love most will always be with you.

D&D- several of us have signed up for Mumbai-Rome April 2018 so that if 2019 isn't offered we'll have a segment we all want to see; Luxor overnight, Suez Canal, Petra, and Jerusalem overnight....think about it.

Tomorrow is Key West and several of the staff/crew are leaving at this port so today we all said good-bye to each other. It is horrible saying good-bye to people you have seen several times a day for 180 days.

The Worldlies attended a Mimosa party at 11:30--again a meeting with such an air of finality.

The Captain and Victor told us what an extraordinary group we were and how easy it was to be with us daily...we returned the compliment by standing and applauding...many were in tears.

One of our group, Chris, is a professional photographer and he showed his absolutely wonderful 10 minute slideshow of our journey to us--all these great places and faces that are dear to us... again with the wet eyes.

Finally, one of our group recognized another in our group who has overcome severe medical problems to travel with us and to inspire us.

We now know that you can pick yourself up after a medical crisis and travel around the world. You might not always be the fastest to get on the bus, or tuk tuk, or boat, but you do see the same things that the more agile of us sees--and probably, by taking it more slowly, sees things the rest would never see.

Our beloved Don and Betsy were remembered and finally the saying that is near to our hearts now....

"Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

Thank you for six months of arm chair traveling. Not sure how I will start my day once you are back at home and adjusting to non shipboard life....... :eek:

I have loved hearing about your travels and experiences and seeing all your wonderful pictures. I am thankful everyday for the travels I have undertaken...someday a World Cruise will be in order...once I finish this "work" thing.

Again, thank you for taking all of us along! It's been a wonderful six months.

Love the Dr. Seuss Quote....

Cheers,

Joe

Edited by JoePDX

I just want to add my thanks to all the other comments. It was a treat to go Around the World with you and see the world with your fabulous pictures and incredible writing. Wishing you both smooth seas and happy days for many years.

Carol

I am surprised crew are leaving in Key West as it is much easier to fly home from Miami

There is a lot of crew changing so O decided to let 1/2 go in Key West so the Miami switch would be easier for crew and passengers. Those leaving in Key West will be bused to Miami. There hope was to make it easier for us worldlies to clear in Miami.

thanks everyone for the very sweet comments....trust me, this has been a true labor of love.

I've been saving my comments on this thread into another file and it has been wonderful reliving everything we've done, and everything you've said and suggested.

tomorrow is Key West and I do hope to have a few comments on that port since it is our last one before the sprint for home.

Captain Flokos stopped by our table in Terrace tonight fishing for compliments for the glassy seas he claims he's providing for Mr. Wonderful....so we all duly thanked him!!

Bless him--he's been wonderful to travel with as well as serve as our Captain.

I'm going to miss all our friends, particularly Cathi and Bruce who daily light up my life. Home is going to seem very quiet; 48 hours and we'll be there....

Add me to the list that will miss your posts. They were pure escapism each day.

Yesterday, I had a chance to catch up on the blog and enjoyed a wonderful 30 minutes looking through the pictures since Tahiti.

Thanks so much to both of you for sharing your trip in words and pictures!

I too want to thank you for bringing us along on your trip. I hope to do a RTW someday, and you have made me want to more. Every day I have looked forward to your and Wayne's posts to see what was happening. I am going to miss that! Safe travels and hope to meet you on a cruise some time.