and so it begins.....RTW16

cbb

babysis--

Good for you!!!

Several of the ATW16 passengers signed up for this cruise and on this date while on board. We hope to use it as a placeholder for RTW2019.

Here's hoping that Jordan (Petra), Suez Canal, and Egypt (Luxor overnight) remain calm so that O will continue to offer these ports on the RTW itinerary.

Just think, if these ports become unsafe, much of the Timeless Wonders itinerary will be lost.

for those of you interested in such things, Mr. Wonderful has done a count of miles covered re: nautical v. statute miles and believes that O is off in their count of nautical miles and tells why.

He includes detailed notes for those who like this stuff--including a GPS "picture" of the entire world route and a couple of excursions.

For the rest of you that take a look at what he's done and think...why?....remember this is what engineers like to do, so welcome to my world!!!

http://drdavebradley.blogspot.com/

Edited by cbb

for those of you interested in such things, Mr. Wonderful has done a count of miles covered re: nautical v. statute miles and believes that O is off in their count of nautical miles and tells why.

He includes detailed notes for those who like this stuff--including a GPS "picture" of the entire world route and a couple of excursions.

For the rest of you that take a look at what he's done and think...why?....remember this is what engineers like to do, so welcome to my world!!!

Truly amazing -- all the calculations! Perhaps Mr. Wonderful might be interested in a further consulting position -- for O! :)

Oh how I can relate. I am married to an engineer as well. They make excellent husbands though.:D

Hi Cynthia,

Hope you are still receiving notices when there are new posts being added to your wonderful travelogue!

I was just checking back to a blog that I previously used for great info about photo book suppliers, and thought this might include some good additional possibilities for your "short list". The blog is http://www.photobookgirl.com,and she is very thorough in her comparisons of various offerings (paper quality, software, printing, photo resolutions, binding, delivery, etc.)

Hope this might be of some assistance in case you and Mr. W. haven't yet made a final decision! (She also includes any presently available promos for the various companies.) :)

sharon...

thank you so much. Mr. Wonderful is currently taking a little nap so as soon as he awakens I'll tell him about photobookgirl.com.

He has gone through our pictures and has chosen the ones he likes best and is putting them on our tv so we can see them BIG.

I'd like to have the neighbors over this fall for food/drink and we'll have the pictures on so everyone can see as little or as much as they want!

I did tell him that he needs to do script at the bottom saying where the pix were taken. Just like Europe and the cathedrals, after a while we forget where all of the pagodas and temples were.

thanks again!! c

Cynthia -

I just wanted you to know, that somehow my life is continuing despite the lack of your daily updates. But I did have to book a cruise to have something to look forward too. :p

Enjoy your new experiences on Terra Firma with Mr. Wonderful.

Cheers,

Joe

Edited by JoePDX

ahhh Joe, what a sweet remark...thank you so much. Mr. Wonderful is currently researching his options for the coffee table books of our adventure...which keeps him busy!

good for you signing up for your own adventure. Have a great time! c

hey girl....which company are you using?

D has pretty much decided which pictures to use, but now we're discussing general layout questions...do we use things that aren't photographs of places...like admission tickets, maps, on the page with the photographs.

Help!!!??? I'd like to use some unusual backdrops for the photos...like maps, or a giant photo, say of a Buddha, with smaller pictures...

Mr W.....Accepting your analysis and math the clear conclusion is that the Captain and navigation officers let the ship wonder around for 1,999 nautical miles and as they didn't know where they were they only recorded the miles when they were positive of their location.:rolleyes: Mmmmm! a troubling thought. I am taking my own sextant on our next cruise :D

globevest,

sextant not needed....he's pretty sure that it is the difference in what was reality and what was the original posted itinerary-- and we didn't follow it as you know.

hey girl....which company are you using?

D has pretty much decided which pictures to use, but now we're discussing general layout questions...do we use things that aren't photographs of places...like admission tickets, maps, on the page with the photographs.

Help!!!??? I'd like to use some unusual backdrops for the photos...like maps, or a giant photo, say of a Buddha, with smaller pictures...

Cynthia,

One way I like to include things like entrance tickets, maps, programs, etc. in a photo book, is to use them as a half transparent background for the actual photos of the place. OR, I use a single photo as a half transparent (perhaps black/white) full page "blow up" behind the same photo in full saturation, and covering only half of the semi-transparent background. (Did that with a photo of the 27 hairpin curves, taken from the top of the road going over the Andes. Hard to describe - and sorry it sounds so confusing -, but made a wonderful labyrinth effect.)

Once you get started with the actual work on the book(s), they get to be VERY time consuming to get them exactly the way you want.

looked at photobookgirl.com and the information seems dated so he's still researching....

yeah, we want to include things like the maps, tickets, and cool things like that....even want to take a picture of some African fabric and use it if i can for a background....we'll see.

thanks for the encouragement!

globevest,

sextant not needed....he's pretty sure that it is the difference in what was reality and what was the original posted itinerary-- and we didn't follow it as you know.

I am much relieved;)

Thank you so much for your wonderful reports. My DW and I enjoyed travelling with you and Mr Wonderful.

• 8 months later...

2 books = 60 pages each book & approx 5-7 pictures per page.

The two of us took approx 60,000 pictures total. Two passes through the pictures gave us 8000 "good" pictures and of those we narrowed it down to 2000 and those are the ones that i choose from to use on social media of our group and in the books.

Kept Mr. Wonderful busy! He'd make a pass through each of that day's pictures most nights. He knows how to do Photoshop and is now learning how to do additional tweaking of the photos with layering, etc...cool stuff!

already some ATW16 are taking "reunion cruise" ATW19 and some are talking of taking several segments of ATW19. Unbelievable experience! Many of us "talk" several times a week.