Stingrays?

BlueSky73

I have searched all over the forum, but I can't find any recent reviews on stingray excursions. The only ones I found were from Balmoral Island, and from what I gathered you can't bring your own camera and the photos they take are wicked expensive.

We are going to Nassau, Freeport, and Half Moon Cay.

Please let me know if you have any information!

It seems like each port of call that offers a stingray excursion has their own rules regarding what you are and are not allowed to do. At which port are you hoping to do a stingray excursion? Is it through Carnival or an independent operator? You might be able to get information by doing a search on the "Ports of Call" board on here.

Did you go to the Ports of Call section and search Sting Rays? I seemed to get a lot of hits. I have done Balmoral before it was named such and do not remember being prohibited from having a camera but that was a decade ago almost. Those rays, like the ones on Half Moon are kept in an enclosure near the shore and are not very large as I recall.

It is a totally different experience from those at Grand Cayman where the rays are wild and 5'+ across in wing span. Their boats each have handlers that are government monitored and enter water almost up to your chest (high tide). The rays come and go as they wish for food or simply to inspect and be petted.

Personally, having done the rays both places, Bahamas just isn't worth it. Hold out til you can make it to Cayman and see them in the wild.

If you need a photo to remember it, you've paid too much and shouldn't have done it in the 1st place. Don't worry about photos...your memory will provide the best picture!

Wow, you must have some memory to remember clearly every detail of every cruise and excursion! Hope it is still that great 10 or 15 years or longer down the line. :rolleyes: Personally, I'll take a pic or 2 or 3 to refresh my memory and bring back the fun and pleasure I experienced months or years before.