Am I doing something wrong? Trying to select a cabin online

cavecreekguy

So, I'm trying to book a cruise online. I usually put a courtesy hold on something then call HAL to confirm and apply my FCD.

When I go to book the cruise, the website defaults to a guarantee cabin. When I select "change stateroom," then "select my own stateroom," I just get a wheel spinning forever.

I've tried Chrome and Firefox, on three different machines (two laptops and a tablet).

Is there a work-around anyone knows? I really want to be on the Lower Promenade deck, not a guarantee. I'm sure when I call HAL they can change it, but I'd like to see what's available prior to the call.

Thanks!

I was able to get to the choose a stateroom category but I couldn't get past the first category of Verandah. Partially obstructed only.

The website is a PITA. I find myself getting very fed up with HAL for this and other things.

I've said it before but if Seattle ran a well as the ships and cared (I know most of the reps do), they would listen and dump this mess and bring back the old site until this one works better.

When we booked one of our cruises it kept going to guarantee cabin so we finally called our PCC and she had to book the cabin be wanted. I wrote this up and put it in the feedback for the web site, all I got back was a thank you for letting us know and we are attempting to prioritize what to fix.

Not the warm and fuzzy I was looking for.

It most likely is the web site. I had trouble with different browsers, too, about a month ago. Then, a week or so later it worked.

We checked security settings of our filters and antivirus, cleared the browser cache and cookies, etc. Nothing helped. We emailed HAL; no response. Then, a week later it worked.

Advise clearing browser cache and making sure pop up blocker turned off. If that does not work, probably the web site.

Hmmmm, not having any problem whatsoever changing a default guarantee to a specific cabin of choice during the online booking process.

Currently using Firefox, but not sure if that makes a difference... doubt that it does.

Another thought-We found that when on a mobile device and the mobile version of the Web site, we could select a stateroom. Just not when on regular web site with laptop or desktop. You might try a mobile device.

Everyday it is something new.

For me its the "Search for cruise" function today. It defaults back to no filters and I have to start all over. Once I get to the cruise, I can see the cabins.

Yesterday I had a bear of a time accessing HC accessible cabins for my MIL. It would show cabins available then oops "no cabins available" and then default back to non-accessible cabins. I gave up and called. The poor little rep sounded harried and exhausted but was very helpful.

Related to comment made by OP-You mentioned a courtesy hold. Does HAL do those? Thanks.

Yes indeed. I think you have to have an account with your info which they can set up right there on the phone. I generally put a hold on cabins, firm up plans with the FatCat tribe, and make my deposits 2 to 3 days later.

It most likely is the web site. I had trouble with different browsers, too, about a month ago. Then, a week or so later it worked.

We checked security settings of our filters and antivirus, cleared the browser cache and cookies, etc. Nothing helped. We emailed HAL; no response. Then, a week later it worked.

Advise clearing browser cache and making sure pop up blocker turned off. If that does not work, probably the web site.

Good idea of clearing the cache and disabling the browser popup blocker. I do always forget to think of that. After your suggestion I tried and it didn't seem to make any difference :-(

I also found, when I was trying to price out other itineraries, as soon as I choose "Book this cruise" then select the number of people in the cabin, I get "Sorry, we are unable to process your booking right now. Please contact support at 1-877-932-4259 or 206-286-3900. (Error: Rate code not valid.) "

This has been for a couple of days. Again, on multiple devices and browsers.

There are some things I like about the newly designed website, but I think it's kind of more important that people can actually book cruises rather than if there is a cute picture in the corner of the screen.

When I have been blocked on HAL's web site from selecting cabin and also from seeing what is available, I go to some of the online TA sites to check availability. Doesn't help you actually book; but, has helped me when I want to see what is available.

Also, make sure you don't have any ad filtering software blocking the site.

Also, after clearing your browser cache, close out of the browser, then reopen it.

If none of this works with multiple browsers, it is probably the web site.

Yes indeed. I think you have to have an account with your info which they can set up right there on the phone. I generally put a hold on cabins, firm up plans with the FatCat tribe, and make my deposits 2 to 3 days later.

Thanks! Am I understanding correctly that courtesy holds can only be done on the phone vs. online?

When we booked one of our cruises it kept going to guarantee cabin so we finally called our PCC and she had to book the cabin be wanted. I wrote this up and put it in the feedback for the web site, all I got back was a thank you for letting us know and we are attempting to prioritize what to fix.

Not the warm and fuzzy I was looking for.

Hey, that is a new addition ....... we are...... attempting to prioritize...... what to fix. Gheesh, if that is not thinly veiled admission of a total screw up.

Here is my list of priorities:

1. Fix the GD website

2. Throw out the GD website

3. Beta test a new website on someone else, but only after you survey present website customers

4. Roll some heads in management

5. Make someone personally liable for lost business, so this is not passed on to future customers

6. Moving working parts around and making them not work is not change; it is programmed destruction.

7. It is okay to be a cruise line that appeals to older, quieter passengers. Everyone gets older and even winds down a bit, so you will never run out of customers. It is an ever-flowing stream.

So, I'm trying to book a cruise online. I usually put a courtesy hold on something then call HAL to confirm and apply my FCD.

When I go to book the cruise, the website defaults to a guarantee cabin. When I select "change stateroom," then "select my own stateroom," I just get a wheel spinning forever.

I've tried Chrome and Firefox, on three different machines (two laptops and a tablet).

Is there a work-around anyone knows? I really want to be on the Lower Promenade deck, not a guarantee. I'm sure when I call HAL they can change it, but I'd like to see what's available prior to the call.

Thanks!

We had this problem on Monday so we called PCC who was on vacation. Not a problem there. We called her substitute that she named on her voice mail. Left a message. 2 days passed and no return phone call. On Wednesday afternoon we booked an almost similar itinerary on Celebrity. It's now Friday evening and still no return phone call and I'm researching Celebrity shore excursions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had this problem on Monday so we called PCC who was on vacation. Not a problem there. We called her substitute that she named on her voice mail. Left a message. 2 days passed and no return phone call. On Wednesday afternoon we booked an almost similar itinerary on Celebrity. It's now Friday evening and still no return phone call and I'm researching Celebrity shore excursions.

In no way making excuses for bad customer service but I think the sale of the Prinsendam and massive ship shuffle going on (plus it being a holiday week) has caused the delays. My PCC who generally calls back in a matter of an hour took 2 days to get back to me this week about a couple of simple questions. Her hours had also been extended. The other rep I talked to was just happy I was a happy customer. Think his morning had been rough. :eek:

In no way making excuses for bad customer service but I think the sale of the Prinsendam and massive ship shuffle going on (plus it being a holiday week) has caused the delays. My PCC who generally calls back in a matter of an hour took 2 days to get back to me this week about a couple of simple questions. Her hours had also been extended. The other rep I talked to was just happy I was a happy customer. Think his morning had been rough. :eek:

I get all that about the PCC having a difficult week. But what about the initial problem of the website? Like the OP, If I could have gotten my information from the website I wouldn't have needed to make that call.

I get all that about the PCC having a difficult week. But what about the initial problem of the website? Like the OP, If I could have gotten my information from the website I wouldn't have needed to make that call.

I hear you. The website and I are nurturing a fine hate-hate relationship. Some days it taunts me by being cooperative. Next day, its right back to its evil ways. I have lamented that the first touch point for many people new to HAL will be that very inadequate website.

Celebrity doesn't seem to have the Panama Canal full transit cruise for anywhere near the price HAL is offering for this October cruise. At this stage in my life I often search for the lowest price I can find for what's important me on an itinerary. For this cruise, it's Panama Canal.

I've cruised Princess and would book with them, and would try Celebrity, if they could approach HAL's pricing.

But honestly, a website glitch isn't going to determine which cruise line I book with. I was just wondering if I was doing something wrong or if anyone knew of a work around.