The Magic, Not So Magical For Me

GranysT

Just back from our 6 night cruise on Magic, from Sept 24th. I booked this cruise over 14 months out, longest booking ever. Took so long, but finally arrived. Good old Irma put the kibosh on our ports of Nassau, Grand Turk, and Amber Cove. Was really looking forward to AC, as had never been there before. I'm not blaming Carnival, it wasn't their doing. Held my breath that last week, hoping another storm wouldn't cancel the whole cruise. It didn't, and I was very happy to just get on the ship.

Another couple I know, cruised Magic last spring. They came back saying it was dirty, and not very well maintained. I didn't find that at all. To me the ship was clean and very pretty.

However, it was a little too large, and confusing to get around on, for my taste. It seemed most of the things we needed were either forward or aft, with a long long walk in between. Not to mention the up and down and around, in some area's. Our cabin was mid ship, right outside the elevators, which was handy for a few things.

Our cabin steward, Abigail, was awesome. Gave us both morning and evening service, with a big smile. Our dining staff, was ok. Not as friendly as most we've had, but they did their job.

The menu was another matter. We found the choices, skimpy at best. More seafood, or fish, and neither my DH or myself eat any of that, we had very limited meals.

I was anxiously waiting for the Roasted Pumpkin Soup, but alas it was never offered. I love that soup. The Broccoli Chedder, and Onion soup, were delightful. I don't know if it's the acoustics, in the dining room or what, but the noise level was awful. In 32 previous cruises, I have never heard so much noise in the dining room. You couldn't talk to your table mates, because you couldn't hear a word said. I always enjoy meeting new people while dining. This time we didn't even learn their names. Disappointing.

Guys Burgers, and the Deli sandwiches, were great, as always. We enjoyed breakfast in the dining room. the sea day brunches, and the 1 afternoon tea. My BF and I met 3 lovely ladies at the tea, and had a great time together. We kept running into them around the ship. Hugs all around, on the last evening.

To sum this all up. We enjoyed the cruise itself, very much. The 1st night was a bit rocky, due to Maria off the Atlantic. I got up in the middle of the night, and we had smoothed out completely. The entire rest of the cruise was very smooth.

The size of the Magic is just not my cup of tea. First time on her class, and I don't expect to be booking that class of ship again. I will sail on. :)

As do I. OP: I'm sorry you didn't completely enjoy your time aboard the ship, but perhaps the most valuable reviews are those that are both critical and specific enough to make it clear that what the critic didn't like is something we would like. For example, the fact that the menu was heavy on seafood choices (something my spouse and I would consider a positive) carries more weight, for me, from someone who was unhappy about it than from someone who might just be cheerleading.

Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your experience aboard "Magic". I'll be sailing her on Nov 11th, and am looking forward to another great Carnival cruise. I must admit, however, that I too am NOT a big fan of the big ships, and would much prefer the smaller offerings, but I go aboard with a positive attitude, and ALWAYS have fun.

"SKY"

Thanks for your feedback. I agree that the selection of entrees in the MDR is disappointing some nights. Fortunately I have always found enough interesting appetizers to skip an entree on those occasions.

Your comment about the layout brought back fond memories of our first sailing on her. Upon exiting an elevator my granddaughter could never tell which way was fore and which was aft. I could never remember which floor would allow us to go from fore to aft. Together we managed very well!

Happy sailing.

Thanks for the well balanced review of the Magic. We sailed her in January 2017 and didn't have a problem finding our way around, but then again I have never had a problem with this (even on the older ships where you would often have to go up and around on some decks).

I think the problem with the acoustics in the dining room has to do with the lack of table cloths to muffle the sound of flatware and plates on the table. The wood tables seem to amplify the sound.

While I mostly prefer the Spirit class of ship, I did not mind the Dream class. I really enjoyed the addition of the Lanai area on Deck 5. It gave us another option for hot tubs and lounge chairs.

Thank you for the review! Magic is my favorite cruise ship Ive been on out of two different lines. I cant wait until Im on her Saturday. My ONLY disappointment is that Dr E just left the ship for vacation :( Wont be the same.

What ports did you end up go to?

We went to Cozumel, Belize, and Costa Maya. We have been to Cozumel several times, and it is one of my least favorite ports. We did get off, and shop a bit. Found a stand where the man had made plaques out of melted blue beer bottles. Bought one with a nice picture of a Carnival ship on it. My friend bought 2 , with different pics. Very nice.

Belize, we didn't get off. It was a long tender ride to even get there.

Costa Maya, we got off and shopped a bit, again. There were 4 ships there, one of them the Oasis. Packed to the gills with people, and it was so HOT. All the ports were extremely Hot. We didn't stick around long, but still left soaking wet, from sweat.

Again, not blaming Carnival. They did the best they could with the choices they had.

Yes, not having the tablecloths might have something to do with the noise, I agree. But, it wasn't plate and silverware noise, just loud voices, everywhere. The tables are nice looking tho. Even without the cloths. They have eliminated the water bottles sliding off the tables, by now placing the bottles in heavy round coasters. They stay put in center of table now. I do appreciate them putting tablecloths out on Elegant Night.

Edited by GranysT
To add some things.

Thanks for your thoughtful and balanced review of what you liked and what you didn't about the Magic.

Those perspectives will be important to many who are concerned about distances to travel while on this ship, menu variation and acoustics. All can vary by ship and line.

However, it was a little too large, and confusing to get around on, for my taste. It seemed most of the things we needed were either forward or aft, with a long long walk in between. Not to mention the up and down and around, in some area's. Our cabin was mid ship, right outside the elevators, which was handy for a few things.

We had a similar feeling about the Breeze, it was very nice, but so big. We felt that the size of the ship really impacted the service level of the crew, we knew they were trying their best, but they had so far to go for many things. I'm glad that Carnival seems committed to updating the Fantasy class ships, the size of them really suits us.

We were on same sailing. What dining room were you in. We were in Southern Lights early seating on deck four right along the railing and didn't notice any more noise than normal. When looking down on most nights, there were many tables either empty or only partially full. Wife missed the soup also.

We were in Southern Lights also, but late dining. Upstairs for first 2 nights and downstairs for the other 4. Same noise level all around. It was very annoying, and like I said, almost impossible to carry on any table conversation. Even to the woman sitting next to me. We had to lean very close to hear each other, and No, I'm not losing my hearing. That would have almost been a blessing, this cruise. :):) It certainly would have made the meal more enjoyable.