luggage for the Queen Mary 2

Jeffrey1950

Just wondering as a single traveler, when getting out of my limo at the Terminal in New York is the luggage taken from my driver as I am getting out of the vehicle and I do not see it again until my cabin or in plain English do I have to lug it somewhere. When, I cruise on another well know Cruise Line the luggage is automatically taken as I leave the Vehicle at no time do I touch it once I leave home till in the cabin. also, when arriving back in New York what is the procedure for luggage then. Can someone tell me how much per bag it cost to use the luggage service that would pick up bags from my home and then return them after the trip?

Thank you !!

Usually there are porters who will take the bag right from your car. If it's busy and your driver can't get you close enough, you might have to lug it a short distance.

When you arrive in NY, the bags you put out the night before will be waiting for you in their color/number group. You can collect your bags and carry/drag/roll them to the customs/immigration queue. It's quite a hike from the luggage collection to the customs point. Porters are available in the luggage area. The usual procedure is to get in the porter queue, and when you've got a porter, take him to your luggage and have it loaded onto his cart. He will take you to the customs point. When you clear customs, he will take your luggage outside (doors are close to the customs point) and deposit them at one of the pickup stations where you will wait for your car service.

Cunard White Star Luggage Service will pick up your bags at home and take them to the ship. We have done this several times. You don't see the luggage from the time the service (usually DSL) takes them until they arrive in your cabin. The service is available from the ship to your home, but I've never done that so I don't know if you have to collect them in the terminal and hand them over to the service there, or if the service starts at your cabin. Cost depends on distance, weight of bag, and whether the shipping is domestic or international. You can call them for an estimate. Their info is available at Cunard's website.

I haven't done ship home with Cunard but have with other cruise lines and am 99% sure Cunard would be the same. You put your bag in the hall as usual the last night and pick it up as usual at the terminal baggage claim. There should be a White Star rep just past the Customs check point to take it from there. There will be porter service to help between those two points.

When I've sent a 50 pound bag from Maryland to QM2 the cost was roughly $100-120.

Roy

We've cruised from Brooklyn as recently as September and there were porters available right near the arriving taxis.

You shouldn't have any problem at all checking your luggage at the pier, they are very efficient.

Jonathan

Here is there relevant information from Cunard's US site:

Can I arrange to have someone handle my luggage to and from the ship?

We offer White Star Luggage Service™, which is provided by a reputable carrier and is available exclusively to our guests. Continental U.S. reservations should be secured at least 35 days prior to sailing date. Service can be requested within 35 days of sailing at an additional cost and is based on destination and availability. Please note you can purchase luggage transfer service home while on the ship. Additional terms and conditions apply. Call (888) 491-0774 for more information.

I used it to send a case from NY to Hamburg, but the pricing and paperwork should be much simpler if your home is in the US and it is only being transferred stateside. FWIW they picked up my case about two weeks before sailing and after that much time packed everything needed to be pressed.

Sending it home is easy and arrangements can be made on board. In New York there is a collection point and a Cunard representative just after Customs and Immigration in the Redhook terminal.

Here is there relevant information from Cunard's US site:

Can I arrange to have someone handle my luggage to and from the ship?

We offer White Star Luggage Service™, which is provided by a reputable carrier and is available exclusively to our guests. Continental U.S. reservations should be secured at least 35 days prior to sailing date. Service can be requested within 35 days of sailing at an additional cost and is based on destination and availability. Please note you can purchase luggage transfer service home while on the ship. Additional terms and conditions apply. Call (888) 491-0774 for more information.

I used it to send a case from NY to Hamburg, but the pricing and paperwork should be much simpler if your home is in the US and it is only being transferred stateside. FWIW they picked up my case about two weeks before sailing and after that much time packed everything needed to be pressed.

Sending it home is easy and arrangements can be made on board. In New York there is a collection point and a Cunard representative just after Customs and Immigration in the Redhook terminal.

(bold is mine) Last time I compared prices, it's about $100 more for international shipping. The shipper acts as your customs agent, and you're paying for that service.

Usually there are porters who will take the bag right from your car. If it's busy and your driver can't get you close enough, you might have to lug it a short distance.

When you arrive in NY, the bags you put out the night before will be waiting for you in their color/number group. You can collect your bags and carry/drag/roll them to the customs/immigration queue. It's quite a hike from the luggage collection to the customs point. Porters are available in the luggage area. The usual procedure is to get in the porter queue, and when you've got a porter, take him to your luggage and have it loaded onto his cart. He will take you to the customs point. When you clear customs, he will take your luggage outside (doors are close to the customs point) and deposit them at one of the pickup stations where you will wait for your car service.

Cunard White Star Luggage Service will pick up your bags at home and take them to the ship. We have done this several times. You don't see the luggage from the time the service (usually DSL) takes them until they arrive in your cabin. The service is available from the ship to your home, but I've never done that so I don't know if you have to collect them in the terminal and hand them over to the service there, or if the service starts at your cabin. Cost depends on distance, weight of bag, and whether the shipping is domestic or international. You can call them for an estimate. Their info is available at Cunard's website.

This has me a little concerned as I get older I find it some times difficult to walk a long distance...so how far are we talking about?

This has me a little concerned as I get older I find it some times difficult to walk a long distance...so how far are we talking about?

IIRC, luggage collection is at one end of the building and the customs point and doors are at the other end. I'd guess it's at least 300 feet, maybe more. See how you do with boarding and if you have any doubts about walking, ask onboard about getting wheelchair assistance for disembarking.