My observations of Independence of the Seas - 2/24 to 3/1

Hi All,

I enjoy CC very much and do lots of research before an upcoming cruise. Without doing a review, here are a few thoughts and observations I had about my recent cruise.

*Check-in was quick and easy. We arrived around 11am with Uber from our hotel and were on the ship within 20 minutes.

*Drink Package - we pre-purchased the deluxe drink package online pre-cruise for $48/pp per day and it was offered onboard for $63/pp per day.

* Bar Service - it was great to see poolside service each sea day and at various places throughput the ship. On our past couple of cruises, this seemed to be missing. I was sad to see, however, that the bars did not stock the ice cream base (at least that I saw) so I could order a mudslide or two.

*Lounge chair saving - I was so glad that pool deck workers were making sure that there were no chair hogs. Once someone “claimed”loungers, a post-it type note would be placed on back of the chair to note the time. They were frequently then putting towels and other items in clear plastic bags to allow others access to chairs. I applaud this fair policy!

*Chops was $32pp if booked ahead of time online and $39pp onboard.

*A 10 drink card showed up on Day 3 for $85.

Now for some opinions:

*I thought that Windjammer food and service was outstanding. I especially loved the various Indian dishes and carving stations. Don’t miss the cakes on the last night of the cruise.

*The drink package for us was a no brainer. With fresh OJ every morning, specialty coffee, many bottles of water and many cocktails per day, it was worth it. I was able to try new things and not finish drinks I didn’t care for.

*The CD was among my least favorite I have had on a cruise. Nothing special or notable.

*I (kiddingly) would like to start a petition that The Quest be scheduled on a different night than the last night of a cruise - LOL. It’s so much fun, but 11:15 is so late on the last night when the next morning is so hectic. On one past cruise they did it on a different night and I so appreciated it. Just a thought.

*While no cruise ship is bad, it is definitely time in my opinion that the IOS is in need of attention at her upcoming dry dock. Parts were just tired, but she still is awesome.

*I went on this cruise as part of Legends of Pittsburgh (Steelers) and it was awesome to be onboard with players and fans. Steeler Nation did not disappoint!

I look forward to another cruise on Independence someday. We had a great time!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for this cruise summary. We are sailing on the Indy for the first time in November, after multiple Oasis class cruise. I am reading all I can find to help me know when/where/what to go and do. We sailed on a couple of the Voyager class ships years ago, so I am mentally picturing a mixture of both. I know I am going to miss Central Park so much, but am looking forward to what Indy has to offer. It is good to know about the drink cards, as we do not purchase the drink packages. What night(s) and time was Grease performed? Also, were you on a Western or Eastern itinerary? Thanks again for the information.

We have also done several Oasis cruises and Central Park is wonderful. We especially missed Park Cafe on Freedom class. I do, however, love the pool deck area on Freedom class so that was fun.

We did a 5 day Western itinerary. Grease was night 4 only at 5:30 and 8:30 and was a 90-minute no-intermission show. We did not attend, as we will see it on Harmony in May.

You will have a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for the review. I think the guest game should be on the last night and this is why. I had 2 cruises that the guest was made on the middle of the week and right after 10pm. Most people didn’t have an open mind and the ice arena was full all seniors without energy. On the other hand, the last day and really late will attract millennials and seniors that are really for the challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We got off the Indy the day you got on.

I really wish they had been enforcing the time limits on reserving pool chairs on my cruise. The best spots stayed vacant for hours reserved with a towel and book,etc. We never did get a chair on a sea day. We complained to one of the people walking around the pool as security and he barely spoke English and told us to talk to the towel people. Oh well.

I agree about the CD. Also sometimes hard to understand on the announcements.

Also loved the Indian food in the Windjammer!

Had a terrific time all in all.

Also did not attend Grease.

Simona Ferraiuolo was the CD. She will be there until dry dock next few weeks. I don’t recall the captain’s name, but do know it was mentioned he was the ship’s inaugural captain.

Sent from my iPad using Forums