Lack of lounge chairs around Koningsdam pools?

joseph123

Haven't seen much posted on this so thought I would add a thread. In looking at all of the photos and videos available it seems as if there are far less lounge chairs available around the main and aft pools of the Koningsdam compared to other ships I have sailed. There seems to be no shortage of tables and other types of seating, just the traditional lounge chairs the usually surround the pools and used for sunning. With more and more passengers on larger ships there always seems to be a shortage, so just wondering if there is a more pronounced problem on this ship? In reading the reviews that state there is usually an older clientele on HAL ships, could it be that less people tend to want to hang out poolside, thus there might not be a need for as many lounge chairs? Also seems to be a lack of outdoor poolside live entertainment which might contribute to a less resort like poolside experience.

We were on the Kongingsdam for 21 days in December. I'm only commenting my observations re the non-smoking side as that is where we would go. Lots of people used the tables to play cards or read. The relaxing chairs/couches were always full. The lounge/sun tan chairs right around the pool were pretty full most of the time. At the very aft there were lots more sun/lounge chairs and you could usually find a spot. They are very close together in my opinion though.

There was no live entertainment that we ever saw at the aft pool.

Thanks for the reply. Was there any entertainment around the other pool to create an island or resort vibe such as a steal drum band, or do most just hang out to read and eat? Can't put my finger on it, but the vibe around the pools just seems much more contemplative or laid back. People just hanging out eating, drinking and reading. Not that I think that would be such a bad thing, just much different than any of the other caribbean cruises I have taken. I will soon find out since I will be sailing on the Koningsdam in Feb.

We love the pool area on Koningsdam! Much rather sit on sofas/love seats with a coffee table and loads of pillows than lounge chairs pushed next to each other. It became our sanctuary for 2 weeks and we rarely used our balcony. I wish more ships provided this type of space around the pools.

I am with Lady Arwen. We loved the Lido pool! We were on her for 16 days, many of them in the Mediterranean. Any day that was a sea day, or a day we wanted to stay on the ship, was spent at the pool. We were usually on the second story with a couple of lounge chairs and a bed (there were 3 of us). We read, listened to music, people watched, ate, drank and relaxed. We never had trouble finding a spot. There was no entertainment but we were happy to just listen to music and relax. There was always 2 showings of the daily movie at night. The New York Pizza and Deli had pizza and movie snacks late at night. And there were always groups of people playing games and cards at the tables.

Thanks for the reply. Was there any entertainment around the other pool to create an island or resort vibe such as a steal drum band, or do most just hang out to read and eat? Can't put my finger on it, but the vibe around the pools just seems much more contemplative or laid back. People just hanging out eating, drinking and reading. Not that I think that would be such a bad thing, just much different than any of the other caribbean cruises I have taken. I will soon find out since I will be sailing on the Koningsdam in Feb.

We did not hang out at the Lido/mid ship pool at all. We walked through it and the lounge chairs looked very comfy as did the surrounding areas. I am just one that prefers the aft pool for some reason and no live entertainment there so can't comment if the mid ship pool had live entertainment. My husband commented on it as he enjoyed the live entertainment when we did our Mexico cruise and he was disappointed this time.

I just did 11 days on K'dam. Not once did I see any entertainment around the pools. It was one of my biggest complaints. A steel drummer or a solo guitarist...something...anything...would have been nice.

There is a lot of chaise loungers (and towels) on deck 10 above the aft pool. The Lido deck aft seemed over packed with loungers especially when patrons pushed the chairs around following the sun. It was an obstacle course there on sea days.

It was more serene just above on deck 10 aft.

by the way there was another bar up there but it was never open on our Trans Atlantic last Oct.

Have a Happy Cruise Year

Bob:)

I just did 11 days on K'dam. Not once did I see any entertainment around the pools. It was one of my biggest complaints. A steel drummer or a solo guitarist...something...anything...would have been nice.

I think that is an intentional difference for HAL, no poolside entertainment other then during special events. They used to have a band playing there called the HAL Cats that were typically pretty awful.

I think that is an intentional difference for HAL, no poolside entertainment other then during special events. They used to have a band playing there called the HAL Cats that were typically pretty awful.

I'd take no entertainment over the HAL Cats any day! Quiet is better than torture.

I am with Lady Arwen. We loved the Lido pool! We were on her for 16 days, many of them in the Mediterranean. Any day that was a sea day, or a day we wanted to stay on the ship, was spent at the pool. We were usually on the second story with a couple of lounge chairs and a bed (there were 3 of us). We read, listened to music, people watched, ate, drank and relaxed. We never had trouble finding a spot. There was no entertainment but we were happy to just listen to music and relax. There was always 2 showings of the daily movie at night. The New York Pizza and Deli had pizza and movie snacks late at night. And there were always groups of people playing games and cards at the tables.
You just brought back some wonderful memories of our time on Kdam! We really did not miss the entertainment, as we were so tired out from our excursions (we were in the Med) and just enjoyed the peace and quiet. Loved the New York Pizza and Deli! I wish I were on Koningsdam right now!!!

Yeah I remember the HAL Cats and I agree they were terrible. But on my Oosterdam Caribbean cruise a couple years ago, they had a steel drummer at the aft pool. It was really nice. Then again, there also used to be some sort of evening entertainment in the Crows Nest, but that's gone too. A very weak area for HAL, in my opinion.