got GREAT UPGRADE on a guaranteed cabin - can it be taken off us prior to sailing?

korky1

Really nervous now (not to mention paranoid). We have booked a guarantee balcony cabin on Ovation for cruise on 28th November. Yesterday we were allocated our cabin - 11238 which is a spa junior suite. We were over the moon until someone on CC pointed out that RCI can change our cabin number again at any time prior to sailing.

Human nature being what it is, we thought we would be really happy and lucky to get any unobstructed balcony cabin but now we have been allocated this great cabin WE WANT TO KEEP IT.

Has anyone had an experience of being allocated a great upgrade like this and then later having it changed to a lesser cabin (but still within the guaranteed parameters which you paid for?)

I guess I will be nervously checking our booking every day from now till we sail, hoping that we get to keep this great cabin. Don't know if my nerves can stand it LOL.

In theory they can and in fact there was a very recent thread on this board where this happened to the OP. I can't find the thread right now, maybe another poster will be able to give you the link, or I will try and find it for you later.

Hopefully it will not happen to you though and you will get to enjoy your amazing upgrade. :)

In theory they can and in fact there was a very recent thread on this board where this happened to the OP. I can't find the thread right now, maybe another poster will be able to give you the link, or I will try and find it for you later.

Hopefully it will not happen to you though and you will get to enjoy your amazing upgrade. :)

Is this the thread you are talking about

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2678621&highlight=Downgrade

&

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2679363

They can change it but you'd be unlucky, I think most people get what they have been allocated.

It can also happen the other way. My parents are currently on Navigator, they booked a suite guarantee about a year ago and within a week or two they were allocated a JS in a location they liked so very happy. The cabin number stayed the same and was on all their documents and luggage tags but when they checked in on Sunday they found out they had been upgraded to an OS.

We got a phone call from Mum on Sunday afternoon in the cabin and she couldn't believe it, she was asking me if it could be a mistake and they would knock on the door and tell her she had to move!

Julie

... Has anyone had an experience of being allocated a great upgrade like this and then later having it changed to a lesser cabin (but still within the guaranteed parameters which you paid for?) ... .

Though a stateroon assignment change is rare, your stateroom assignment can be changed anytime between now and when you show up at the pier.

Thank you all for your replies. Please all bow down to the omnipresent Upgrade Fairy and ask her to be kind to us and let us keep this wonderful Junior Spa Suite.

I will post back after our cruise and let you know if we managed to hold onto cabin 11238.

Will be keeping fingers, legs and eyes crossed for you! [emoji4]

Thank you all for your replies. Please all bow down to the omnipresent Upgrade Fairy and ask her to be kind to us and let us keep this wonderful Junior Spa Suite.

I will post back after our cruise and let you know if we managed to hold onto cabin 11238.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Do a screen shot of your current cabin assignment.

One of the issues on the other threads was the poster said a GS was assigned but the cruise line has no record of ever doing so. Who knows what really happened in the other case; your concern is only with your own situation. If you now save a screen shot, at least you can show that an upgrade has really been granted. They have a right to reconsider the upgrade, but it is not good PR to do so.

What a great idea to take a screenshot showing we have been allocated cabin 11238. Not sure if I would be brave enough to complain though should it be taken off us and replaced by a lowly (possibly even obstructed) balcony cabin, as, lets face it, that is all I paid for - a guaranteed ocean view balcony.

Seriously, I was stoked to get a great deal on a guaranteed balcony as we normally go Oceanview.

As the old saying goes - "you get what you pay for" but maybe, just maybe for once we are lucky enough to get "more than we bargained for",

Thanks to everyone for your kind replies.