Cape Town, South Africa!

deefer

I just saw a cruise with NCL departing from Cape Town, South Africa. There is only one listed so far and not until 2020.

Is this new? Have I been asleep and just didn’t see it before?

An African Safari is on my bucket list, would love to tag a cruise on NCL at the end of it. I hope they continue to use Cape Town as a departure port. Time to start building up my air miles!

It’s the Spirit doing her repositioning cruises from Europe to Asia, starting in Rome in Feb 2020. Go on line and take a look at the itineraries.

We are interested in one of them.

Spirit is a lovely little big ship and she is an ideal ship for these itineraries.

Cape Town is beautiful and well worth a visit for a few days. But it is not known for game parks which are mostly in the north of the country. However, I see this cruise spends a day in Port Elizabeth. There is nothing much to see in PE except nice beaches, however one hour's drive outside of the city is the Addo Elephant Park. It is about a thousand square miles so smaller than some of the parks up north (it is the third largest national park in the country) but worth considering to visit while in PE for the day. There are not only elephants there, also lions, rhino, buffalo, zebra, etc. Also there is no malaria there, unlike can be found in some of the northern camps. I lived in Port Elizabeth for the first 25 years of my life and since leaving there in the 1970s have visited PE every couple of years during the past 40+ years so know it well.

Cape Town is beautiful and well worth a visit for a few days. But it is not known for game parks which are mostly in the north of the country. However, I see this cruise spends a day in Port Elizabeth. There is nothing much to see in PE except nice beaches, however one hour's drive outside of the city is the Addo Elephant Park. It is about a thousand square miles so smaller than some of the parks up north (it is the third largest national park in the country) but worth considering to visit while in PE for the day. There are not only elephants there, also lions, rhino, buffalo, zebra, etc. Also there is no malaria there, unlike can be found in some of the northern camps. I lived in Port Elizabeth for the first 25 years of my life and since leaving there in the 1970s have visited PE every couple of years during the past 40+ years so know it well.

I second this as have been to SA a number of times - Cape Town is fabulous and plenty to see and do but no safari - Port Elizabeth is definitely the place however to do a safari justice you need to be at the Game lodge overnight as the first drive is usually 4-5am to catch all the animals before they have a sleep!!

I would recommend a couple of days on Safari ahead of the cruise - we went to Pumbaa game lodge just north of PE and it was excellent - (and our 3rd Safari)

I just saw a cruise with NCL departing from Cape Town, South Africa. There is only one listed so far and not until 2020.

Is this new? Have I been asleep and just didn’t see it before?

An African Safari is on my bucket list, would love to tag a cruise on NCL at the end of it. I hope they continue to use Cape Town as a departure port. Time to start building up my air miles!

I love the idea of combining a safari with a cruise! I'm going to check out the itinerary right now...

Sent from my H3321 using Forums mobile app

Unfortunately these cruises are longer, no way could get enough time off work to do a safari (especially since the ones we were looking at were in Botswana) and a 21 day cruise.

Looks like this will stay on my bucket list for a few more years. But excited that NCL maybe an option to cruise after a safari. Maybe one year they will have a 11-14 day cruise and then can make it work before we retire 😀

To those that are able to go have an amazing time!