Just for fun...any suggestions for an Alaska/PNW Playlist?

harveysnc

We leave in 3 weeks for our trip aboard the NCL Pearl. We will spend a few days pre-cruise in Seattle and 4 days post-cruise in Portland.

Today we started to download binge-worthy shows on the I-pad for the long flights (we are from Florida). It got me thinking about a fun Alaska/PNW playlist. We always have a good playlist for our Caribbean trips, but these are much easier to come up with.

We'd love to hear your ideas for a playlist for this trip!! :D

We leave in 3 weeks for our trip aboard the NCL Pearl. We will spend a few days pre-cruise in Seattle and 4 days post-cruise in Portland.

Today we started to download binge-worthy shows on the I-pad for the long flights (we are from Florida). It got me thinking about a fun Alaska/PNW playlist. We always have a good playlist for our Caribbean trips, but these are much easier to come up with.

I always change my ringtone to Johnny Horton’s, “North to Alaska.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I Want To Go Home To Alaska is a good piece of music and the video available is an enjoyable one to watch.

(For some reason, I am unable to type the singer's name; his first name is "Lee" and a song he wrote is Stand Up For America if I recall the title correctly.)

Definitely "North to Alaska" and "When It's Springtime in Alaska," also by Johnny Horton, I think.

I can recommend Zac Brown Band's "Majesty." He wrote it about Alaska while in Alaska; it is a beautiful song.

If you can get hold of any of Stuart Hamblem's Robert Service recordings, he is my favorite for those. And he has a couple of his own songs.

Anything by Hobo Jim, Alaska's official State Balladeer.

John Denver--"Alaska and Me"

And don't forget "Alaska's Flag," the state song.

Edited by mytime53

If we're going to include songs not about Alaska, but by Alaskans, then include some tracks by Jewel and Portugal. The Man

It's so exciting for me to see Portugal. The Man have such international success. John Gourley and Eric Howk were students of mine. John Gourley's dad built my parents' house.

And if opera is more your style, perhaps you can find a recording by

Vivica Genaux

This might not be your kind of music, but this winter I was introduced to “So Will I,” by Hillsong. It’s a contemporary Christian song that references creation. I imagine myself in Alaska when I hear it (we are sailing at the end of July).

after 30 plus years of having summer seasonal field crews, this was always a campfire song.

Night Rider's Lament ( only the Jerry Jeff Walker version)

and with added lyrics which are nsfw

Edited by bottom-dragger

Hard to believe it's almost 30 years old, but Anchored Down in Anchorage by Michelle Shocked is still pretty good.

In the late 1970s a couple of guys (funded in part by one of the Alaska Native regional corporations) produced a fabulous indie film about the life of George Attla, a many-times world champion musher who won his first championship race at the Anchorage Fur Rendezvous in the late 1950s. The movie is called Spirit of the Wind, and while it was released in Europe it never got the funding for wide release in the US. There are DVDs available at the Rondy Shop in Anchorage, and maybe other places, and it's definitely worth owning and sharing.

Anyway, they hired the marvelous Buffy Sainte-Marie to provide some music and lyrics, and she nailed it with a song ("Spirit of the Wind") that's used when Attla's first race is shown. Here's the Youtube link showing that clip -

Then a couple of years ago, she re-did the song (also titled "You Got to Run") with Tanya Tagaq, a Canadian Inuit singer from Cambridge Bay in the arctic, who practices Inuit throat-singing, a strange (and strangely beautiful) technique. They cut an album, and the single is also available on Amazon and probably other MP3 outlets. Here it is; this is now an "earworm" for me, but I really don't mind. Can Buffy still rock it at age 77 or what? This just says everything about Alaska, Alaska Natives, and especially Native women, who, when you know some, you immediately recognize as forces of nature not to be toyed with.

And don't forget John Denver's Wrangell Mountain Song.

Here's a link to the great music and the guy that made the video has some awesome shots from his trip a few years ago. Includes Alaska and Me and Wrangell Mountain Song.

And while not mentioning Alaska, another great John Denver song: To the Wild Country (with lyrics)

First, I loved reading your Caribbean playlist posts. Gave me some good ideas for our two Western Caribbean cruises in the past seven months.

My next cruise is Alaska, late next summer. Cannot wait.

A few ideas.

1) Whimsical, and I don’t think

Alaska gets too cold in the summer. But how about “Baby, It’s Cold Outside?”

2). There’s a song, nearly 50 years old, called “Seattle.” Two versions of it, one by Perry Como and the other by Bobby Sherman.

3). Brother Iz’s “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” is always appropriate. If you remember the ending of “50 First Dates,” that was the song played while they sailed the Inside Passage.

Thanks to all for some great ideas. I love to make playlists for our cruises, so this will be fun to do for our upcoming Alaskan cruise.

From PNW--- "The Bluest Skies You'll Ever See"

I Want To Go Home To Alaska is a good piece of music and the video available is an enjoyable one to watch.

(For some reason, I am unable to type the singer's name; his first name is "Lee" and a song he wrote is Stand Up For America if I recall the title correctly.)

The song is God Bless the USA by Lee Green Wood - there is also a Canadian version by Lee as well.

Cheers!

Dennis

If you’re going to Seattle, there’s always nirvana. Jimi Hendrix was also a Seattle native

As grunge was big during my HS years, for the Seattle/Portland portion I'd second Nirvana (check out their MTV Unplugged album for acoustic versions of many of their hits) and throw in some Pearl Jam. Sticking to the mainstream bands here and also ones that have several "softer" songs to use if you're not into anything loud.

The song is God Bless the USA by Lee Green Wood - there is also a Canadian version by Lee as well.

Cheers!

Dennis

I appreciate the correction. Maybe that's the reason I was not able to type the artist's full name: the title of the song was incorrect.

I love his song about Alaska and still recommend it.

How about "Cool Change" by the Little River Band?

"Cool Change"

If there's one thing

In my life that's missing

It's the time that I spend alone

Sailing on the cool

And bright clear water

Lots of those friendly people

They're showing me ways to go

And I never want to

Lose their inspiration

Time for a cool change

I know that it's time for a cool change