Beverage Package Question

dcl1710

Sparkling:

• Cantine Maschio Brut Prosecco Treviso, Italy - $6.25 - Crisp and stony, with floral, white peach and slivered almond notes riding the lively bead. 85 points WS
  • Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Champagne Réserve France - $12.50 - This balanced Champagne is ripe and juicy, with crème de cassis and Honeycrisp apple fruit flavors accented by details of honey, smoke and biscuit. A fresh and creamy aperitif. 90 points WS
  • Domaine Chandon Brut California Classic - $13.00 - Lively and crisp, with user-friendly flavors of tart apple, lemon and spicy vanilla. 89 points WS
  • Veuve Clicquot Brut Champagne - $17.50 -Bright and lightly toasty, this elegant Champagne layers flavors of cassis, crushed hazelnut and lemon meringue pie on the creamy bead. 90 points W

White Wine:

• Zonin Pinot Grigio Latisana del Friuli Albola - $6.25 - A simple white, with some apple and banana character. Medium-bodied, offering good acidity and a light finish. - 84 points WS
  • La Terre White Zinfandel - $6.25 - No rating found.
  • Ruffino Pinot Grigio - $11.00 - Intense, clean notes of meadow flowers, pears and pleasant hints of golden apple. The bouquet is fresh and fragrant, yet complex, showing refined notes of sage and mint, with a nice touch of minerality typical of Pinot Grigio - Mid 80s
  • Gruber-Rosh1tz Riesling (Spelled wrong on list) - $8.50 - Subtle, fruitful Riesling which reveals its subtle charms rather slowly. The nose is shy but the palate shines with ripe, aromatic apricot fruit, accentuated by lemon freshness and centered around a concentrated core of fruit and zest. This is slender but generous, refreshing and lasting. - 88 points Winemag.com (I had to misspell this one because it trips that bad word filter.)
  • Snoqualmie Select Riesling - $7.25 - Moderately sweet, offering apricot and pear flavors that remain ripe as the finish lingers. - 85-87 points
  • Zonin Moscato - $8.50 - Excellent as dessert wine it matches perfectly with jam tarts fruit salads and pastry. Low alcohol 7% - 84 point avg
  • Domaine Laroche Chablis - $13.50 - Lovely balance and expressive flavors of apple, peach and lemon highlight this juicy white. Leaves a mouthwatering impression on the stony finish. - 89 poiints WS
  • Formation Monterrey Sauvignon Blanc - $9.75 - I can find nothing on this Formation's Sauv Blanc. It was fine though, probably 84-86 if I had to rate it.
  • Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc - $12.25 - Lean, with grass, citrus zest and ruby grapefruit flavors that are juicy and vibrant. Toasted herb and floral details linger. - 87 points WS
  • Santa Carolina Chardonnay - $6.25 - A fruity style, with Gala apple and pear tart flavors that are clean and direct. The spicy finish has some smoky notes. - 86 points WS
  • Vina Santa Carolina Chardonnay - $6.50 - This was the Reserva di Familia. - Rich and well-crafted, with concentrated ripe pear, apple pastry and almond tart notes. The buttery finish is long and spicy, supported by fresh acidity. - 89 points WS
  • Penfolds Chardonnay South Australia Koonunga Hill - $8.50 - Refreshing, with lime zest and tangerine flavors that have a spicy edge. Compact and intense. - 87 points WS
  • Chateau Ste. Michelle, Mimi Chardonnay, Washington - $9.75 - A lightly oaked, elegant style, offering apple and pear fruit character with bright natural acidity. Refreshing yet complex.90 points, Wine Enthusiast

Red Wine:

• Santa Carolina Merlot - $6.25 - There's plenty of freshness to the juicy red plum, dark cherry and black olive flavors, accented by appealing green herbal notes. Finishes with hints of dried mint and chocolate. - 88 points WS
  • Santa Carolina Cabernet Sauvignon - $6.25 - Zesty, with dried green herbal notes to the fresh red plum and berry flavors. Olive and mineral accents show on the finish. - 88 points WS
  • Luigi Bosca La Linda Malbec - $8.50 - A zesty style, redolent of cherry and licorice flavors, with notes of pepper in the mix. The juicy finish has some paprika details. - 87 points WS
  • Greystone Cellars Merlot - $9.25 - Jammy and soft, with simple cherry and cola flavors. - 84 points
  • Batasiolo Barbera D'asti - $9.75 - High-toned boysenberry and raspberry flavors, with bright acidity and slightly chewy tannins. Moderate length. - WS 84 points
  • Meridian Pinot Noir - $9.75 - Fresh, with snappy cranberry and wild berry flavors that are pleasant and easy-drinking. - 85 points
  • Casa Lapostolle Cabernet Sauvignon - $9.75 - A crunchy red, showing good cut to the dried berry and cherry flavors, with plenty of savory details. Dried green herb hints show on the finish. - 86 points WS
  • Light Horse Jamieson Ranch Pinot Noir - $9.75 - Smoky, oaky aroma leads to meaty flavors with notes of rhubarb and red cherries. The texture is on the soft side and the body is medium. On the finish those oaky notes meld with the fruit for a soft finale. - 88 points Wine Enthusast
  • Line 39 Lake County Cabernet Sauvignon - $9.75 - Big and brawny, this has bold, ripe fruit aromas and flavors that are shaded by thyme and dill, and backed by very firm tannins and good acidity. The mouthfeel is full and astringent, and the mouth-puckering tannins last on the finish. - 86 points Wine Enthusiast
  • Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot - $12.25 - Broad and generous, with expressive cedar, blueberry and cream flavors that glide over polished tannins into the long, precise finish. - 87 points WS
  • Niebaum Coppola Claret - $13.50 - Seriously tasty and full-bodied, this inky-colored wine is packed with ripe fruit, fine tannins and firm texture, and needs a juicy steak or tender roast as a table mate. A core of black cherry and black plum is shaded by spicy oak. - 88 points Wine Enthusiast
  • Peter Lehmann Portrait Shiraz - $14.75 - Bursting with blueberry and plum flavors, this offers chocolate and Earl Grey tea accents. Velvety and smooth on the long finish - 88 points WS
  • Penfolds Koonunga Hill Cabernet Sauvignon - $9.75 - There's a brambly fresh herb detail to the berry and plum flavors, with impressive minerality, chewy tannins and notes of fresh earth. 88 points WS.

Holy! The basic Beverage package really limits the wines you can purchase on it. Especiall the reds...MY FAVORITE! ~sad~

There is no option on-line in my booking for me to purchase the upgraded Elite Beverage Package. How much more is it? And can I upgrade on-board if I purchase the basic package on-line? Or perhaps my ship just doesn't offer the upgraded package? I'm booked for a Costal on the Zaandam in May.

Thanks!

Edited by Clarabella_Baby

Does the Elite package allow you to order ANY of the glasses champagnes? Even the $17.50 one?
Nope. Only up to $15. The Nicholas Feuillatte is just as good as the Veuve Clicqout. (I'll ask you to trust me on this.) The Nicholas Feuillatte Blue Label has a little more balance IMHO, but the Veuve is a bit brighter.

Holy! The basic Beverage package really limits the wines you can purchase on it. Especiall the reds...MY FAVORITE! ~sad~

There is no option on-line in my booking for me to purchase the upgraded Elite Beverage Package. How much more is it? And can I upgrade on-board if I purchase the basic package on-line? Or perhaps my ship just doesn't offer the upgraded package? I'm booked for a Costal on the Zaandam in May.

Thanks!

It was $11.50 pp / day for us. That's the difference of $10 +15% service charge.

It was $11.50 pp / day for us. That's the difference of $10 +15% service charge.

Another question POA1:

Can you get a vodka (Absolut) martini on the Signature Beverage Package or do I have to have the upgraded package?

In other words, is there a vodka martini for $9?

Thanks!

and PS Happy St. Patrick's Day!:cocktail:

Another question POA1:

Can you get a vodka (Absolut) martini on the Signature Beverage Package or do I have to have the upgraded package?

In other words, is there a vodka martini for $9?

Thanks!

and PS Happy St. Patrick's Day!:cocktail:

You can get martinis on the package for sure. I'm pretty sure Absolut was listed in the $9 and under but I don't want to swear to it. But the martinis we had last cruise were quite good and I'm kind of fussy ;)

I did not see anyone respond to this yet. Our TA said bottled water is included, but I would like to find out from someone here if it is!

Yes, bottled water is included. Not the one in your room though. You need to go to a bar to get it or another public place where they can scan your card.

You can get martinis on the package for sure. I'm pretty sure Absolut was listed in the $9 and under but I don't want to swear to it. But the martinis we had last cruise were quite good and I'm kind of fussy ;)

Yes, bottled water is included. Not the one in your room though. You need to go to a bar to get it or another public place where they can scan your card.

Thank you so much Kazu/Jackie!

You always come thru with a kind and informative answer to our questions!:)

This is research from last year. We aren't planning to sail until later this year. I'll update it then, but this should suffice. It's compiled from Roger Jett's Fall 2017 scans.

Non-Alcoholic - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Mineral Water 1.5L - $3.95 - Yes - Yes

Mineral Water 0.5L - $1.95 - Yes - Yes

San Pelligrino 1.0L - $4.50 - Yes - Yes

Perrier 750ml - $3.25 - Yes - Yes

Juices - All - $2.75 - Yes - Yes

Soda - All - $2.25 - Yes - Yes

Red Bull - $4.50 - Yes - Yes

Red Bull Sugar Free - $4.50 - Yes - Yes

Please note that both plans include mocktails and smoothies.

WINE - HAL Price - HAL SBP # - HAL EBP #

House Sparkling - $6.50 - 1 - 1

Prosecco - $6.75 - 1 - 1

Other Sparkling - $9.50 - 0 - 1

Champagne - $12.50 - 0 - 1

Pinot Grigio - $6.50-$11.00 - 1 - 2

Chablis - $13.50 - 0 - 1

Chardonnay - $6.50-$9.75 - 2 - 4

Riesling - $7.25-8.50 - 2 - 2

Moscato - $8.50 - 1 - 1

Sauv Blanc - $8.50-$9.75 - 1 - 2

Barbera - $9.75 - 0 - 1

Claret - $13.50 - 0 - 1

Malbec - $8.50 - 1 - 1

Merlot - $6.50-$12.25 - 1 - 2

Cabernet Sauv - $6.50-$9.75 - 3 - 5

Shiraz/Syrah - $7.25-$14.75 - 2 - 3

Pinot Noir - $9.75 - 0 - 2

Zinfandel - $6.50 - 1 - 1

White Zin - $6.50 - 1 - 1

Dessert Wine - $7.95 - 1 - 1

Number Wines Available - - 19 - 34

BEER 12 oz - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Amstel Light - $5.95 - Yes - Yes

Beck's - $5.95 - Yes - Yes

Blue Moon - $5.95 - Yes - Yes

Corona - $5.95 - Yes - Yes

Guinness Stout - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Heineken - $5.95 - Yes - Yes

Molson - $5.95 - Yes - Yes

Sam Adams Boston Lager - $5.95 - Yes - Yes

Stella Artois - $5.95 - Yes - Yes

BEER 16 oz - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Boddington's - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Bud - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Bud Light - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Bud Light Lime - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Coors Light - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Grolsch - $7.25 - Yes - Yes

Michelob Ultra - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Miller Genuine Draft - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Miller Lite - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

CIDERS/OTHER - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Crispin Cider - $5.75 - Yes - Yes

NA Beer - $4.25 - Yes - Yes

Rekordling Pear - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Rekordling Strawberry/Lime - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Smirnoff Ice - $5.25 - Yes - Yes

Strongbow Cider - $5.75 - Yes - Yes

VODKA - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Absolut - $7.25 - Yes - Yes

Absolut Citron - $7.25 - Yes - Yes

Absolut Mandarin - $7.25 - Yes - Yes

Absolut Vanilla - $7.25 - Yes - Yes

Belvedere - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

Chopin - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

Finlandia - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Grey Goose - $7.95 - Yes - Yes

Grey Goose Citron - $7.95 - Yes - Yes

Grey Goose 'Orange - $7.95 - Yes - Yes

Grey Goose La Poire - $7.95 - Yes - Yes

Ketel One - $7.50 - Yes - Yes

New Amsterdam - $6.95 - Yes - Yes

Skyy - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Skyy Pineapple - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Smirnoff - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Stolichnaya - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Tito's - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Vox - $6.95 - Yes - Yes

RUM - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Appleton - $7.25 - Yes - Yes

Bacardi - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

Bacardi 8 - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

Bacardi Gold - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

Bacardi Limon - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

Bacardi Oakheart - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

Bacardi Razz - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

Brugal - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Captain Morgan - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Cruzan - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Gosling's Black Seal - $7.25 - Yes - Yes

Malibu - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Myer's Dark - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Pyrat XO - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

BOURBON - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Buffalo Trace - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Jack Daniels - $7.50 - Yes - Yes

Jack Daniels Honey - $7.50 - Yes - Yes

Jim Beam - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Jim Beam Red Stag - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Knob Creek - $7.95 - Yes - Yes

Maker's Mark - $7.95 - Yes - Yes << Only thing that matters. Seriously. ;)

Tatoosh - $7.95 - Yes - Yes

Wild Turkey 101 - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

RYE/IRISH WHISKY - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Canadian Club - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Crown Royal - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

Jameson Irish - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Seagram's 7 Crown - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Seagram's VO - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Tatoosh Rye - $7.95 - Yes - Yes

SCOTCH - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Aberfeldy - $7.75 - Yes - Yes

Ballentine's - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Chivas Regal - $7.25 - Yes - Yes

Cutty Sark - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Dalmore - $10.25 - Excluded - Yes

Dewar's 12 Year Old - $7.25 - Yes - Yes

Dewar's White - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

Glen Deveron - $8.50 - Yes - Yes

Glenfiddich - $10.25 - Excluded - Yes

Glenlivet - $8.95 - Yes - Yes

Glenmorangie - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

Highland Park - $11.95 - Excluded - Yes

J&B - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Johnnie Walker - Black - $7.75 - Yes - Yes

Johnnie Walker - Red - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

Laphroaig - $8.95 - Yes - Yes

Macallan Select Oak - $11.95 - Excluded - Yes

GIN - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Bols Dutch Jenever - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Bombay - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Bombay Sapphire - $7.50 - Yes - Yes

Hendricks - $8.00 - Yes - Yes

Tanqueray - $7.50 - Yes - Yes

Tanqueray 10 - $7.50 - Yes - Yes

TEQUILA - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Cabo Wabo Blanco - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

Cazadores Anejo - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

El Jimador Silver - $7.75 - Yes - Yes

Herradura Reposado - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

Herradura Silver - $9.75 - Excluded - Yes

Jose Cuervo 1800 - $7.75 - Yes - Yes

Jose Cuervo Gold - $6.95 - Yes - Yes

Patron Anejo - $13.95 - Excluded - Yes

Patron Reposado - $11.95 - Excluded - Yes

Patron Silver - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

APERITIF - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Aperol - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Campari - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Dubonnet - $6.00 - Yes - Yes

Pernod - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Vermouth - $6.00 - Yes - Yes

COGNAC/ARMAGNAC - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Armagnac - $8.95 - Yes - Yes

Courvoisier Napoleon - $10.95 - Excluded - Yes

Courvoisier VS - $7.50 - Yes - Yes

Courvoisier VSOP - $8.50 - Yes - Yes

Hennessey VS - $7.95 - Yes - Yes

Hennessey VSOP - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

Hennessey XO - $19.95 - Excluded - Excluded

Remy Martin VSOP - $10.95 - Excluded - Yes

Remy Martin XO - $18.95 - Excluded - Excluded

DIGESTIF - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Aquavit - $5.95 - Yes - Yes

Grappa di Alexander - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Grappa di Cabernet - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Grappa di Prosecco - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Limoncello - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Villa Massa Limoncello PGI - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

LIQUEUR - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Amaretto Disaronno - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Baileys Irish Cream - $6.95 - Yes - Yes

Chambord - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Cointreau - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Crème de Menthe - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

D.O.M. Benedictine - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Drambuie - $6.95 - Yes - Yes

Frangelico - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Galliano - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Grand Marnier - $6.95 - Yes - Yes

Jagermeister - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Kahlua - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Patron Cafe XO - $11.95 - Excluded - Yes

Patron Citronage - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Sambuca - $6.95 - Yes - Yes

Southern Comfort - $6.95 - Yes - Yes

Tia Maria - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

PORT/SHERRY - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Dow's LBV - $7.95 - Yes - Yes

Harvey's Bristol Cream Sherry - $6.00 - Yes - Yes

Graham's Six Grapes - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

Sandeman - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Smith Woodhouse Reserve LBV - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Tio Pepe Sherry - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Warre's Otima - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Warre's Warrior Tawny - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

Pretty much any vodka other than Ciroc if I recall correctly. Gimme a minute and I'll post the list.

Don't know where I got Ciroc. It's not even on the list. I may have gotten confused with NCL - Where the $7.95 Maker's Mark on HAL is $16.95.

Don't know where I got Ciroc. It's not even on the list. I may have gotten confused with NCL - Where the $7.95 Maker's Mark on HAL is $16.95.

Yes, I noticed that. HAL is most generous with their liquor prices. Going on Celebrity in November and I had to upgrade the drink package on them to get what we want. HAL's SBP seems to be sufficient unless you are a wine expert (which I am not) or fussy with your wine. I'm not a big wine person other than a glass with dinner. Just give me my vodka, a glass with ice and a little seltzer (or a full blown vodka martini) and I am good to go. With DH it is bourbon and nothing else!

Thank you very much.

The HAL beverage packages are a bit confusing for me. I am used to unlimited beverage packages that include almost all drinks as many as you want. With the elite beverage package I am limited to 15 drinks total, no matter what type, right? Do folks ever buy the quench or soda package along with the elite or signature package? Thanks for any insight!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The HAL beverage packages are a bit confusing for me. I am used to unlimited beverage packages that include almost all drinks as many as you want. With the elite beverage package I am limited to 15 drinks total, no matter what type, right? Do folks ever buy the quench or soda package along with the elite or signature package? Thanks for any insight!

You could buy both the SBP and a quench or soda package, but why would you do that ? The SBP is not just for alcohol, it covers anything wet you can drink, even bottles of water. On cruise lines that allow unlimited drinks, you are usually paying for it in a much higher drink package price. Unless you drink doubles, you will be hard pressed to exceed the 15 drink limit. We just got off a 14 day HAL cruise and the SBP cost us $723 per person. Checking my cabin folio printout on the last night, my beverage tab would have been $1247 for the 14 days if I was paying as I go. I have always found the SBP to pay for itself. People sometime say "I'll never drink 15 drinks, so the package is not worth the money". Do the math, the package costs $51.70 per day, and the average $7.95 or $8.50 cocktail will increase to $9.14 or $9.77 after the 15% service charge is added if you are paying as you go. The break-even point is 5.6 drinks, and after that, you are drinking free.

You could buy both the SBP and a quench or soda package, but why would you do that ? The SBP is not just for alcohol, it covers anything wet you can drink, even bottles of water. On cruise lines that allow unlimited drinks, you are usually paying for it in a much higher drink package price. Unless you drink doubles, you will be hard pressed to exceed the 15 drink limit. We just got off a 14 day HAL cruise and the SBP cost us $723 per person. Checking my cabin folio printout on the last night, my beverage tab would have been $1247 for the 14 days if I was paying as I go. I have always found the SBP to pay for itself. People sometime say "I'll never drink 15 drinks, so the package is not worth the money". Do the math, the package costs $51.70 per day, and the average $7.95 or $8.50 cocktail will increase to $9.14 or $9.77 after the 15% service charge is added if you are paying as you go. The break-even point is 5.6 drinks, and after that, you are drinking free.

Spot on.

People seem to get hung up on either the 15 drink limit or the break even point of 5-6 drinks. 15 drinks is hard to beat. Never did it. But if you do you just pay for those past the 15. The 5-6 drink break even point is another issue where many think it only alcoholic drinks. It's alcoholic drinks, non-alcoholic drinks, soda, water and specialty coffees.

We always get the package either as part of a promotion or we pay for it. No receipts to keep or manage. Not list to peruse at the end of the cruise. No bill to question the drink charge.

Got to love the comments from folks who have never bought the package or don't drink explaining it's not a good deal. If you don't drink much or are happy with drinking the water from your sink or Lido, which are fine to drink, then the package is not for you. TAD2005 did the numbers and it is a savings as long as you take advantage of it.

Also. Is there a limit on how many alcoholic and/or nonalcoholic (I.e., sodas) that you get with the Signature package?

On our Xmas cruise on Noordam, the bar tenders told us the 15 drink limit is alcoholic drinks only. Guest services denied this and said it is 15 drinks of any kind. We tested it, were charged for drinks over 15, quoted the bar tenders who were happy to be quoted and the charges were refunded. So I guess check when you are onboard.

We just purchased the SBP for our family of 4 for our late May cruise. I can't imagine going over the 15 drink/day limit because I just don't think we will have enough waking hours in the day to drink that much. Anyway, we are not too concerned about getting our money's worth or breaking even. We are looking forward to the convenience of having what we want, when we want it. Since we are not too selective about wine or liquor brands, we think it will work out great for us!

Look for our review in June!

I will be traveling with me mum next summer to Alaska and we hope to snag Explore4 to get the SBP as an included perk when it comes out.

Question - if only I were to want to upgrade to the Elite once onboard would that be permitted, or will both of us be required to do so? I find the wine selections by the glass quite limited for my taste on the SBP, so would want to get the Elite. Mum would be pleased with the choices under the SBP.