ALL activities on Regatta cancelled today - 3/14

tgg

I'm on the March Regatta sailing around the horn in South America. I've sailed here before so I knew how bad the seas can get. But last night the winds hit 50 knots (a gale) and the waves got to 25 feet. It's morning now, and the ship is rolling and pitching. All the portholes on deck 3 have been bolted closed because the water is hitting above that level. These people now have inside rooms, essentially.

Corey, the Cruise Director, announced that all today's activities are cancelled until further notice and we should either stay in our cabins or sit somewhere like the restaurant.

People have taken some unfortunate falls and the folks who use canes are having a terrible time getting around. (There are very few passengers under 60.)

The crew continues to do an outstanding job - and doesn't have the option to stay in bed until the weather gets better.

So if you're considering this itinerary, be aware that things can get really rough.

We had similar weather when we did this around 5 years ago. Yes and crew still has to work through this.

It was amazing to see the the sommelier decanting a bottle of red wine with a pitching sea. Not a drop spilled. We were one of 3 couples at Polo that night.

Keep us informed as to how you manage the seas. WE are looking at this cruise for November. Weather around the Cape is hit or miss. What cabin are you in? We always book mid-ship, lower levels. Thanks:)

Although we had the chance to upgrade to a penthouse, we chose to stay in 4033 ( low, midship) based on past experience with the seas on this itinerary. Today is the third day of rough weather. The people in the owners suites and the suites at the front of the ship are the ones with the worst time because of the motion.

Some activities have been rescheduled for this afternoon. People in balcony cabins have been warned not to open the balcony door because of fears that it will move off its track. It's also so cold and windy that nobody wants to be on their balcony.

On the bright side, the food continues to be wonderful.

Although we had the chance to upgrade to a penthouse, we chose to stay in 4033 ( low, midship) based on past experience with the seas on this itinerary. Today is the third day of rough weather. The people in the owners suites and the suites at the front of the ship are the ones with the worst time because of the motion.

Some activities have been rescheduled for this afternoon. People in balcony cabins have been warned not to open the balcony door because of fears that it will move off its track. It's also so cold and windy that nobody wants to be on their balcony.

On the bright side, the food continues to be wonderful.

Thank you very much for your comments. Your current room, 4033 is the same category that we are looking at. We have been in the "penthouse" suites, which are really the 'MINI-SUITES" in the Pacific Princess ship. We were mid-ship in one of those in Tahiti(had no rough seas) which was also good for less motion.

If you don't mind me asking, what did they want for the upgrade?

We look forward to more of your comments and maybe a review when you get back?

Happy Cruising

We did the same trip about 10 years ago on Crystal and slept as the ship went around the horn. Calm as could be. The Capt. even turned the ship around and did a second pass for those of us who did not see the first time. Just never know. Hope it calms down very soon.

In 2007, sailing on Regatta from Barcelona to Miami we had 70 knot winds and 30 foot seas. Best thing to do is to stay in your cabin. The crew knows best. It will pass. Captain referred to the trip later, as "a challenging crossing". We were met in Miami by the coroner's van. Very scary, but hasn't stopped me from taking 18 more cruises.

We did this February 2016 aboard NCL and did it back to back. The first week the captain could barely hold the ship at the Horn, we skipped the Falklands and spent the night in Puerto Madryn. On the return trip we had a beautiful day in the Falklands and the water was so calm at the Horn that it looked like you could walk on it. The captain turned the ship around three times so everyone had a good look. I refer to the Chilean fjords as Alaska on steroids. I loved that trip.

Edited by PegasusGM
left out a word, missed a space

USHUAIA 3/15/17

We were supposed to dock in Ushuaia in the middle of last night. Imagine our surprise this morning at 7:00 when we looked out and saw the port in the distance. The wind has prevented us from docking OR tendering.

Hundreds of people are in the Regatta Lounge with tender tickets in hand - and the captain has told us that he has tried docking once again but that it wasn't possible because of the wind. We will not be cleared for tendering until at least noon, if at all. Good news is the sun is shining a little.

Two days ago people enjoyed being in the Falkland Islands, although there was some rain. The penguins didn't seem to mind.

Two of the four passenger elevators have not been operating for a few days "due to weather conditions". This didn't seem to be a problem except after shows, when there was a crowd waiting to get back to their cabins and go to sleep. The late night "crowd" in Horizons after the show is 5 to 8 people.

The onboard lecturer has drawn huge audiences with his wonderful talks. He's given everyone an immersive history of the area and the people who explored and settled it.

And, yes, the food and service continue to be great.:D

Thank you very much for your comments. Your current room, 4033 is the same category that we are looking at. We have been in the "penthouse" suites, which are really the 'MINI-SUITES" in the Pacific Princess ship. We were mid-ship in one of those in Tahiti(had no rough seas) which was also good for less motion.

If you don't mind me asking, what did they want for the upgrade?

We look forward to more of your comments and maybe a review when you get back?

Happy Cruising

I am not the OP but even if you were to be told what their upgrade offer was, it probably wouldn't be a marker for what YOU might get in a similar situation. It depends on lots of circumstances that are different on each ship and each cruise. Just because Passenger "A" could pay a certain amount to upgrade, that doesn't mean Passenger "B" on a different cruise would get the same offer.

USHUAIA 3/15/17

We were supposed to dock in Ushuaia in the middle of last night. Imagine our surprise this morning at 7:00 when we looked out and saw the port in the distance. The wind has prevented us from docking OR tendering.

Hundreds of people are in the Regatta Lounge with tender tickets in hand - and the captain has told us that he has tried docking once again but that it wasn't possible because of the wind. We will not be cleared for tendering until at least noon, if at all. Good news is the sun is shining a little.

Two days ago people enjoyed being in the Falkland Islands, although there was some rain. The penguins didn't seem to mind.

Two of the four passenger elevators have not been operating for a few days "due to weather conditions". This didn't seem to be a problem except after shows, when there was a crowd waiting to get back to their cabins and go to sleep. The late night "crowd" in Horizons after the show is 5 to 8 people.

The onboard lecturer has drawn huge audiences with his wonderful talks. He's given everyone an immersive history of the area and the people who explored and settled it.

And, yes, the food and service continue to be great.:D

If it is that windy and rough I would not get on a tender. It will bounce you around for the whole ride if you get there at all. Would be very suprised if the tenders run at all. Good luck.

USHUAIA - Several Hours Later, A Happy Ending

The winds calmed, the seas dropped, and on the third try the captain and crew got us to the dock here in Ushuaia. Happily, no tenders were needed. I think everyone appreciated the frequent updates from the captain as the minutes waiting turned into hours.

It's planned that we will depart later than expected so that passengers can have more time ashore. I am grateful that I wasn't one of the staff that had to deal with the logistics of this day (and with few passengers who go a little crazy when things don't go as planned). Most of the passengers I have talked to are veteran cruisers who understand bad weather and missed calls.

The natural beauty of this area is overwhelming. The snow-capped peaks of the Andes are close by. The road going out to the country is smooth and modern. A great day was enjoyed by some very grateful people.

CAPE HORN - the really good news

Those who've been following this thread might be interested to know that we're situated right off Horn Island (Chile) and the seas are FLAT. Very little wind. The sun is peeking through the clouds . A glorious day. Quite a change from the 30 foot waves and strong winds that were forecast. The captain, in his morning announcement, said that he thought "we'd earned this day."

The captain has sent a rescue boat ashore (the tender they tried first had no place to land) with all our passports to get them stamped with an "end of the world" stamp. (There's a naval officer, his wife and child who are the only ones who live here for 6 months a year.)

Everyone hopes that the worst weather is behind us as we make our way up the Chilean coast and head to Lima.

We're grateful to the captain and his hard-working officers and crew who have kept our safety as the first priority while providing an amazing cruise experience.